Sad News Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad News Today

Well, it appears my days of riding sport bikes, at least with an aggressive seating position are over . My left wrist has been hurting for a year and a half or so and has prevented me from doing any riding. I went to the Dr. today thinking I had carpal tunnel and would get surgery and fix it right up. I do have carpal tunnel, but they cannot completely fix it because I have severe arthritis in the joint and bone that need to be intact for the surgery to be completely successful. The most severe of the arthritis is in the joint between my large arm bone and the first wrist joint; you know right where your wrist bends on the handle bars, supports your weight, and allows you to pull the clutch . I did some work on the bike a couple of months ago and could only test ride it for about 10 minutes before being unbearable. So, first they are going to do a nerve study to determine if any of the nerves are compromised, then they can do surgery to relieve the carpal tunnel. However, I am just stuck with arthritis. It is degenerative, so eventually I won't even be able to pull the clutch in.

Connie owners....is the seating and bar position upright enough to eliminate any weight bearing on the wrist?

Oh well, off to do some research on bikes......

Also..... GETTING OLD SUCKS!!!!!!
    sigpic

Stupid people can be dangerous in large groups

Damn dude that sucks, sorry to read.

I rode a Connie about a decade ago, handlebars are almost ape hangers in comparison. I say go test ride one for 10 mins if you can, see how you like it.

Let me know if you're gonna sell your ZX-14, I know someone who may be interested.

Comment

That does suck. Good luck with all that, my wrists are also slowly decaying... getting old ain't for pussies!
      "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Damn dude that sucks, sorry to read.

I rode a Connie about a decade ago, handlebars are almost ape hangers in comparison. I say go test ride one for 10 mins if you can, see how you like it.

Let me know if you're gonna sell your ZX-14, I know someone who may be interested.
        Will do. It needs some love, front tire, battery, etc. Chain will need to be replaced shortly as well. I will let you know.
        sigpic

Comment

I had a similar problem with my left wrist and I’m left handed. The last few years the pain became unbearable. I couldn’t even hold a pen to sign my name. Picking up a quart of milk or brushing my teeth triggered extreme pain. Pulling the clutch and holding the bars was excruciating. I hated the thought of surgery but in the end I finally decided I had no choice.

In my case they cut out the arthritic bone at the base of the thumb right in the wrist joint then did a bone graft and a partial fusion of the wrist. I have a steel plate and a couple of screws in there holding it all together now. I have very little movement in the wrist but I have mostly full function and more importantly no more pain. I have no more problems or pain riding the ZX14. Having surgery was the best decision I made. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. Full recovery took 4 - 6 months. I had the surgery almost 21/2 years ago and I’ve never looked back.

I feel your pain, good luck getting it fixed.
          Last edited by NotDeadYet; 01-11-2022, 08:39 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
            I had a similar problem with my left wrist and I’m left handed. The last few years the pain became unbearable. I couldn’t even hold a pen to sign my name. Picking up a quart of milk or brushing my teeth triggered extreme pain. Pulling the clutch and holding the bars was excruciating. I hated the thought of surgery but in the end I finally decided I had no choice.

They cut out the arthritic bone at the base of the thumb right in the wrist joint then did a bone graft and a partial fusion of the wrist. I have a steel plate and a couple of screws in there holding it all together now. I have very little movement in the wrist but I have mostly full function and more importantly no more pain. I have no more problems or pain riding the ZX14 again. Having surgery was the best decision I made. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner. Full recovery took 4 - 6 months. I had the surgery almost 21/2 years ago and I’ve never looked back.

I feel your pain, good luck getting it fixed.
            They mentioned fusing it, don't know if I'm ready to go that route yet. Luckily, I am right handed so I can do everyday things. Driving and exercising provides the most discomfort in every day life. We will see how it goes. It does provide some hope that you can ride the 14 without pain!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eyesonly View Post
              They mentioned fusing it, don't know if I'm ready to go that route yet. Luckily, I am right handed so I can do everyday things. Driving and exercising provides the most discomfort in every day life. We will see how it goes. It does provide some hope that you can ride the 14 without pain!
              The surgeon talked about the options of both a full fusion and a partial fusion during our discussions of treatment options. He told me because of my age the partial fusion should last me the rest of my life but if it started to deteriorate I might have to come back and have a full fusion some time down the road. A full fusion would be a permanent fix but it wouldn’t allow any movement of the wrist. I elected the partial as it still allows some limited movement and flexibility in the wrist. The full fusion is exactly as it sounds. So far I’m very happy with the results. I was 66 when I had the surgery.

A week after the surgery (with the surgeon’s approval) I had a special 3D image cast made by ActivArmor that replaced the traditional plaster / fibreglass wrapped cast the hospital provided. It allowed me to shower, swim and do other activities I couldn’t do with the regular cast. I could take it off when the healing had progressed and also wear it as a brace for a few months after the surgery.

D0E55915-80E6-4FC8-84EF-576881B5CE2F.jpg

DC072AAF-1D06-4C14-8A00-E2FBBB36CF4A.jpg DA306169-4D18-466C-87F3-EAC43371D551.jpg
              Last edited by NotDeadYet; 01-11-2022, 09:12 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

I have both a 2004 ZZR1200 and a 2009 Connie. The lean into the bars is noticeably worse on the ZZR. I am also pursuing changes in the seating position and handlebars (risers) on the Connie due to my 36" inseam so I can comfortably tour. My knees are an issue. The ZZR is used for 1 hour or less speed-runs in the farmland countryside in the next county from where I live. My wrists would never hold up for hours on the ZZR but it is too much fun for me to give it up. Good luck on what you face. Surgeons in this day and age are capable of amazing results.

Comment

Originally posted by eyesonly View Post
                  GETTING OLD SUCKS!!!!!!
                  Indeed it does. But it beats the alternative.

Good luck with getting as healthy and pain free as possible!!
                  FWIW.... I find Voltaren Gel to be very helpful (temporarily) on my arthritic parts. At least the ones just under the skin (not buried under muscle).
                  The big tube of generic is only $12 at Target.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Sorry to hear this Charlie. After having both shoulders fixed I would suggest that you not be quick to discount a surgical fix. In both cases my only regrets are that I suffered as long as I did. With arthritis the degeneration simply causes more damage, sort of a snowball effect. The sooner you can break that cycle the better IMO. Get aggressive and work fixing the problem rather than tolerating the symptoms. You will be making love to "the stranger" again in no time.

Comment

Hey Charlie! Blast from the past! As you say, deteriorating old bodies are literally a pain.
                      Don't know who you are seeing surgeon wise but I can high;y recommend the lady below having worked with her for years at UAMS. Even for another opinion. She is good people!

. https://uamshealth.com/provider/ther...wyrick-glover/

Failing keeping the ZZR having had two Connies in the past I'd say for sure the hand/arm position is way more horizontal.. i.e. less weight on wrists. Just a bit more top heavy than the 14 but with the old secondaries out it's a torque rocket.
                      Whichever way you go good luck with it all. Never say die dude!
                      Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
                      A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

Damn, wear and tear on our bodies catches up to us over time…I hope you are able to work around it, get your wrist fixed, or find another bike that works for you. I have just started riding street again on my ZX14, since my rotator cuff tear last summer. Maybe an ADV bike with an upright position may be the way to go for you.
                        My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                        http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Sorry to hear that Charlie.

If it were me, I'd wait and see how my wrist feels after I recover from the surgery before I did anything too drastic.

Should you decide that the ZX 14 is still too uncomfortable after the surgery, I think the C14 would work for you.

I'd definitely try one out before I gave up completely.

So, you have a surgery date yet?
                          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post

The surgeon talked about the options of both a full fusion and a partial fusion during our discussions of treatment options. He told me because of my age the partial fusion should last me the rest of my life but if it started to deteriorate I might have to come back and have a full fusion some time down the road. A full fusion would be a permanent fix but it wouldn’t allow any movement of the wrist. I elected the partial as it still allows some limited movement and flexibility in the wrist. The full fusion is exactly as it sounds. So far I’m very happy with the results. I was 66 when I had the surgery.

A week after the surgery (with the surgeon’s approval) I had a special 3D image cast made by ActivArmor that replaced the traditional plaster / fibreglass wrapped cast the hospital provided. It allowed me to shower, swim and do other activities I couldn’t do with the regular cast. I could take it off when the healing had progressed and also wear it as a brace for a few months after the surgery.

D0E55915-80E6-4FC8-84EF-576881B5CE2F.jpg

DC072AAF-1D06-4C14-8A00-E2FBBB36CF4A.jpg DA306169-4D18-466C-87F3-EAC43371D551.jpg
                            Man that looks uncomfortable. Thanks for the info. I definitely have some hard decisions to ponder.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by philabeg View Post
                              Hey Charlie! Blast from the past! As you say, deteriorating old bodies are literally a pain.
                              Don't know who you are seeing surgeon wise but I can high;y recommend the lady below having worked with her for years at UAMS. Even for another opinion. She is good people!

. https://uamshealth.com/provider/ther...wyrick-glover/

Failing keeping the ZZR having had two Connies in the past I'd say for sure the hand/arm position is way more horizontal.. i.e. less weight on wrists. Just a bit more top heavy than the 14 but with the old secondaries out it's a torque rocket.
                              Whichever way you go good luck with it all. Never say die dude!
                              Long time no see Brother! Seeing a Dr here in Hot Springs. I really like herso far.

On a side note, when I get this all sorted looking to take a motorcycle trip in your neck of the woods. I will need a good guide
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X