Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Top 3 Scariest Moments On a Bike?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Waking up on the pavement to Stewart telling me calmly that I was an accident and the paramedics were on their way, all the while holding me down because I wanted to get up. Totaled the bike (some kind soul slipped a broken rear peg into my tank bag). Helmet was cracked in multiple places, so they thought I had a neck injury. An ambulance ride and life flight later to a hospital near Asheville where I got a CT scan, everything was mostly ok except for the huge knot on the side of my neck. Went back to work days later. That was 2010 on the Cherohala Skyway heading to Deals Gap.

    The last and final accident happened in 2020: Blood Mountain, not going all that fast, not even leaned over much, bike just lost traction. It went over the side of the mountain, a total loss; I slid a little and got up, shaken up more than anything. I had no injuries. What's worse is we were on our way back to Blairsville to finish out the rally!

    And lastly, one of the first times I followed 14Junkie through the mountains; coming down Blood Mountain, he blew a blind, decreasing radius turn, and I followed him through. We went 4 feet over the double yellow line. Fortunately there weren't any other vehicles in the immediate way, but there was a truck about 10 seconds ahead.

    All of these (and more! I've had more accidents) in part led me to just not riding anymore.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Waking up on the pavement to Stewart telling me calmly that I was an accident and the paramedics were on their way, all the while holding me down because I wanted to get up. Totaled the bike (some kind soul slipped a broken rear peg into my tank bag). Helmet was cracked in multiple places, so they thought I had a neck injury. An ambulance ride and life flight later to a hospital near Asheville where I got a CT scan, everything was mostly ok except for the huge knot on the side of my neck. Went back to work days later. That was 2010 on the Cherohala Skyway heading to Deals Gap.

      The last and final accident happened in 2020: Blood Mountain, not going all that fast, not even leaned over much, bike just lost traction. It went over the side of the mountain, a total loss; I slid a little and got up, shaken up more than anything. I had no injuries. What's worse is we were on our way back to Blairsville to finish out the rally!

      And lastly, one of the first times I followed 14Junkie through the mountains; coming down Blood Mountain, he blew a blind, decreasing radius turn, and I followed him through. We went 4 feet over the double yellow line. Fortunately there weren't any other vehicles in the immediate way, but there was a truck about 10 seconds ahead.

      All of these (and more! I've had more accidents) in part led me to just not riding anymore.
      Well that is sobering Mark! FYI, I was thinking of "scary but crash avoided" stories- I have a few crash stories myself but think we can save those for another thread....

      G
      "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

      Comment


      • #18
        Number 3: I was returning home from a 2 week tour of the nw USA and western Canada. I had ridden 3000 plus miles (5000 kms) on my 14 day tour. It was evening and I decided that I was within striking distance of home. I knew I would have to ride the last hour or two in the dark, keeping in mind that I live in deer country. I was getting close to the city when I decided to take one final short cut on a back road that I ride all the time in order to save 20 minutes of time and 10 minutes of riding through traffic. It was about 10;00 pm and I was almost home. The back road I was on was a narrow two lane country road that was mostly straight and lined by trees on both sides. I wasn't riding fast but I was going highway speeds, probably 60 mph (100 kmh). By then it was pitch dark with no moonlight or street lights to brighten the way, when out of the darkness of the trees bolted a deer at full speed crossing the road directly in front of me on a full collision course with me and the motorcycle. It happened so fast I don't think I had time to even think of touching the brakes. I must have come within inches of striking her hind legs as she gave a final shove to clear herself from a direct hit with me and the motorcycle. We never made contact but it definitely scared the bejesus out of me. As she cleared the front of the bike it was so close I thought I could have reached out and slapped her on the ass as she went by. I carried on the final few miles to home definitely shaken but not stirred. All I could think of was what bad luck that would have been, having ridden all those miles safely on unfamiliar roads to almost ruin a perfect trip by having an incident so close to home on a road that I ride all the time. They say 70% of accidents happen within 10 miles of home.

        They also say, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

        I know that's not entirely true as I did have another close encounter with a deer that didn't end so well. That deer was also fine but the motorcycle and I didn't fare so well. That's another story for when Greg wants us to recount actual crashes.

        I do have two more non-contact / close encounters with deer stories that did end well. I will share those later. That will make 3 in total.

        One of those stories involves me and CrazyTrain. Maybe he will chime in and tell that one. I'm sure he remembers it well, it was a very memorable experience for all involved - him, me and the deer.
        Last edited by NotDeadYet; 11-01-2021, 11:47 AM.


        "I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

        Comment


        • #19
          Riding on Tamiami Trail in the Everglades on a Triumph Thunderbird 1600-a big Harley like cruiser with no windscreen. I'm following a friend on his Concours 1400 I see something big fly up in the air and I ducked and a 2 foot long Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake or at least 3/4 of one hits me in the face shield and is now writhing on my crotch bleeding all over with his mouth open.

          Calmly brushed it off of me and pulled over. My pants were not wet from sweat.......

          My friends come back and ask if I'm OK.

          He said he thinks he ran over a rattlesnake. :)

          Comment


          • #20
            bretb's wind story reminds me the worst thing about the ZZR1200 is that it wanted to take off like an airplane in crosswinds. North of Flagstaff AZ I got picked up and set down in the next lane by 70mph crosswinds, it was just my good fortune the highway was pretty empty at the time. I swear you could make a homebuilt by turning two zeds on their sides and hooking up props instead of wheels

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by YYCZED View Post
              bretb's wind story reminds me the worst thing about the ZZR1200 is that it wanted to take off like an airplane in crosswinds. North of Flagstaff AZ I got picked up and set down in the next lane by 70mph crosswinds, it was just my good fortune the highway was pretty empty at the time. I swear you could make a homebuilt by turning two zeds on their sides and hooking up props instead of wheels
              Mine was OK without luggage but crosswinds with a top box on were no fun at all!

              Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

              "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

              06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
              99 Yamaha R1

              Comment


              • #22
                My third scariest experience was a long time ago. I was maybe seventeen and had been riding on the street since I was fourteen so I wasn't a complete Noob to it all. I don't remember where I was coming from (I told you it was a long time ago) but I know I was heading home. So picture a beautiful summer afternoon in Oklahoma (which means there were no clouds in the sky and it was about 102 degrees), I'm in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt (most likely from a concert ) wearing my orange Bell Star helmet and some fingerless riding gloves; it was the eighties after all. I'm in Tulsa on hwy 169 going north and looping onto I-244 west. It is a right hand exit with two lanes that curve to the left up and over hwy 169. At the highest point it is around 40 feet. So as I was saying it's a beautiful summer day and I'm rolling along singing to myself in my helmet (no comm units back then) I'm in the inside lane leaned over going about 60 mph I'm almost halfway through the curve. There is some traffic around me but not on top of me. something airborne comes into my line of vision. It's approaching fast and I think for a moment I'm just going to duck my head but I swear it was like watching a guided missile coming for my helmet. I leaned down and left but in that moment it hit me square in the face shield. It was some kind of bug, a dragonfly, a beetle, a Cicada who knows. It was big, it was green and when it splatted it covered my face shield and jerked me upright. So here I am in a left hand curve at 60 mph and I can't see a damned thing, I'm not going left anymore and the only thing I can think to do is reach up and rip the face shield off the helmet. You old guys will remember that face shields back then were just held on by two chrome snaps. Damn, I had just bought that shield a week before too. By the time I can see again and I can get my bearings I realize that I've drifted across both lanes and I am just inches from the guard rail 40 feet above the ground going 45-50 mph; and THAT my friends was when I understood what "asshole pucker" meant. I eased off the gas some and leaned her to the left to get back in to the lane again and immediately took the next off ramp for a little quiet time. I then made a side trip to the bike shop for a new face shield before heading home again.
                Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Well so far we have about a dozen great stories, involving deer, elk, elephants, kangaroos, pit bulls, rattle snakes and giant flying insects... who would have guessed nature would be such an adversary compared to texting teenagers and distracted soccer moms? We have yet to hear from some folks I know can contribute, like Big O, Crazy Train, Jeff S, Gordon... I will launch Round 2 this weekend with my runner-up story, so hopefully all the kids will jump in by then.

                  G
                  "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I was too scared to remember my top 3 scariest moments.!!!!
                    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Bump- Last Call for Round 1 (3rd scariest moment) stories...

                      And Mike is actually too embarrassed, not scared, to tell us his.... he he he...
                      "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        It took me a while to decide my top 3, plus I decided to buck the trend and not involve animals or bugs. It does include a BMW though...

                        I had a break from riding for about 15 years, then finally decided to take up an invitation from a friend in Sydney to do a ride with him. I hired a Weestrom (Vstrom 650) as my reintroduction to motorbikes, which went fine. So a couple of weeks later, I flew over to Sydney.

                        I was to do the Snowy ride with him and a group of his mates, which is a round trip from Sydney down to the Snowy mountains in November, staying 2 nights in a ski lodge. He said he'd organise a bike for me, which turned out to be his BMW R1150 tourer. Not quite what I had in mind...

                        It was a bit of an adventure leaving Sydney during the Friday morning rush hour. I nearly dropped the bike going through a tight roundabout, but it got better once we finally cleared civilisation and headed down the south coast.

                        Apart from the size and the weird steering, the main problem I had with the bike was the torque reaction when you opened the throttle. If you had the bike leaned one way in a corner, it would tend to stand up, and vice versa when cornering in the other direction.

                        Anyway, after a while I started to go a bit faster through the corners, and was trying to keep up with the faster riders, as you do. I dropped back a bit in traffic, and went into a corner quite fast while trying to catch up. I ran a little wide on corner entry and tried to tighten my line, but opened the throttle too early, which had the opposite effect due to the torque reaction. By this time, I was almost on the edge of the road and did not expect to make it around the corner.

                        I somehow managed to tighten my line, and just made it without running off the road into the dirt bank on the outside.

                        I took it quietly after that until I had a better feel for the bike. A few years later, I hired a later model R1200 in Australia, which was much nicer, without the torque reaction of the earlier model. The steering still felt weird though.

                        Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk





                        Last edited by Moise; 11-05-2021, 06:16 PM.
                        "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

                        06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                        99 Yamaha R1

                        Comment


                        • #27

                          Top three are hard when I can’t count on my fingers and toes how many times I almost munched it.


                          Let’s see:

                          76 Running the cops, it was the only entertainment in Fredericton, I’d taken them into my back woods maze on my Suzuki TS185 and while gloatingly looking back to see if they were still keeping up I had a funny sense and turned to look in the direction I was riding only to notice that a full size tree had fallen across my entrance road towards the back woods of where fiddle & banjo music normally play. Luckily my youthful reaction was to duck as the tree cleaned my mirrors right out of their sockets on the handle bars as I passed under feeling the back of my leather jacket get pulled on severely.

                          77, same 185 & a bit too much libation enroute home & for some reason the machine all of a sudden wasn’t firing while going down the highway. Apparently I’d tripped the kill switch hitting a bump and for what seemed the longest
                          time couldn’t figure it out. The light bulb thought came on to turn it back on and for some reason it exploded into a ball of flames with my legs fully engulfed. Best good decision after a really bad one was not to stop as I knew I would be burned alive and luckily the bike kept running and the flames blew out after about 150 yards at 60 mph.

                          78, same dam bike while east Edmonton ( yes I crated & shipped the beast) I was rounding up 30+ head of horses allowed to run for the winter for their own health (better than being in a stable all winter) when they took off up a hill and split 50/50 left & right at the crest. Perplexed I took this opportunity to close in with speed as they slowed and although disappointed in having to decide on collecting only one half or the other at $50/head my chicken counting was all of a sudden cut short as I realized they had taken me to the top of a 300 ft cliff adjacent to a sand pit. Grabbing all the bake and turf my knobbies could gather I went off into the wild blue Alberta ski and said my good byes while taking in that magnificent blue. I did land it and my nuts where jammed into a place I did not know of by my tank and fork tree but life as ever since had a new brightness.

                          80, 425 Suzuki I couldn’t understand why my buds weren’t going so I pulled out only to find my right fork being elevated onto the bumper of a mid 70s Cadillac. I fell, rolled and pushed off the front of the bumper so as not to go underneath 3 times in succession. Gary, my best friend looked briefly at me sitting perplexed on the ground as if I had a boomerang stuck to my ass and then quickly ran to check on my bike. That’s only a pinch of why he’s my friend.

                          80, a few - no let’s be honest- way too much to drink. Well that year has a quite a few now to think of it. Running the 425 at 80 mph through a 50 zone past the local cop eatery just as they were pulling out for the remainder of their shift. To be caught would have meant expulsion from college & being half done I wasn’t going to let that much effort slip away. Pinned it ( remember I’m on a 425 with 6 highway cruisers in pursuit), hit the lights, stupidly signalled my internet to pull a left at full speed, ran up a familiar road in the dark with no lights directly to my surprise into a road construction 40 ft tall stockpile and over around a giant excavation which I had no idea was Fing there, and on up to face on with one Leo that had come around the other way, locked it up and around up the wire fencing like I was Steve McQueen then to boot it back to the highway connection only to run into a drive-in letting out. Lights off again full speed into oncoming lane with 3 cruisers still chasing - ended up launching off the top of crest of my driveway into the deck. Lesson learned - slow down once you’ lost them.

                          80 I met Mrs. Trout and on our 1st ride a city bus crossed fully over into our lane. Options were to go around the left blind side into on coming or right as we did down the sidewalk and some 20 stairs which we successfully completed. Shaking and dismounted I asked Mrs Trout if she was ok and her response was that was fun, can we do it again. I knew then and there I had a keeper.

                          Skipping ahead a few too many stories and decades, returning from 2wests have provided my most recent sobering encounters. Remember the point of a 2west is not to be a squid.

                          Once was simply coming across a no longer urgent ambulance MC scene while enroute back from John Day with Mrs Trout & Greggness. It shook us all as we collected our thoughts at the next rest stop. Somehow, we remounted and kept on.

                          The other returning back from Colorado & just east of Winthrop when a 4Runner crossed completely over & I froze with the indecision. I don’t know how the driver’s last minute reaction to her passengers screaming all came around to the vehicle getting back without doing a head on roll over into us like a giant fly swatter but it did. It was the indecision that made me want to stop riding then and there, but it was Mrs. Trout that said “snap out of it and let’s get going” that got me back riding.

                          All in all skills have saved me too many times in combination with some some dam good luck. Yearly Mrs Trout & I sit down to review if we should continue but that meeting is pretty short with the decision to keep on. We know will eventually die of something, so why would we stop riding just in case. That would be like giving up to die voluntarily without squeezing ever bit of juice out of the lime. After all we like Margaritas!
                          Last edited by bctrout; 11-06-2021, 01:11 AM.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            #2 only really hit me afterwards. On a brekky run with my girlfriend on the back, quiet semi-rural road and I came up to a roundabout (traffic circle). I was going straight on, but I could see a car approaching in the next entry (left and right might confuse - we don't drive on the right side, but the correct side of the road). I just had a feeling that all was not well, and clicked an extra gear down and gave a few more berries through the circle. As I opened the steering to exit I glanced into that side mirror to see the car had not slowed at all and missed us by inches. As I said, it was over before I knew it was happening, and to this day the Missus doesn't know how close we came to being wiped out from the side.

                            I naively hope that the car driver got a helluva fright too and maybe is still trying to be a bit more alert when behind the wheel.
                            Last edited by BrettZZR; 11-06-2021, 05:06 AM.
                            Time flies like an arrow;
                            Fruit flies like a banana!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by bctrout View Post
                              Top three are hard when I can’t count on my fingers and toes how many times I almost munched it.


                              Let’s see:

                              76 Running the cops, it was the only entertainment in Fredericton, I’d taken them into my back woods maze on my Suzuki TS185 and while gloatingly looking back to see if they were still keeping up I had a funny sense and turned to look in the direction I was riding only to notice that a full size tree had fallen across my entrance road towards the back woods of where fiddle & banjo music normally play. Luckily my youthful reaction was to duck as the tree cleaned my mirrors right out of their sockets on the handle bars as I passed under feeling the back of my leather jacket get pulled on severely.

                              77, same 185 & a bit too much libation enroute home & for some reason the machine all of a sudden wasn’t firing while going down the highway. Apparently I’d tripped the kill switch hitting a bump and for what seemed the longest
                              time couldn’t figure it out. The light bulb thought came on to turn it back on and for some reason it exploded into a ball of flames with my legs fully engulfed. Best good decision after a really bad one was not to stop as I knew I would be burned alive and luckily the bike kept running and the flames blew out after about 150 yards at 60 mph.

                              78, same dam bike while east Edmonton ( yes I crated & shipped the beast) I was rounding up 30+ head of horses allowed to run for the winter for their own health (better than being in a stable all winter) when they took off up a hill and split 50/50 left & right at the crest. Perplexed I took this opportunity to close in with speed as they slowed and although disappointed in having to decide on collecting only one half or the other at $50/head my chicken counting was all of a sudden cut short as I realized they had taken me to the top of a 300 ft cliff adjacent to a sand pit. Grabbing all the bake and turf my knobbies could gather I went off into the wild blue Alberta ski and said my good byes while taking in that magnificent blue. I did land it and my nuts where jammed into a place I did not know of by my tank and fork tree but life as ever since had a new brightness.

                              80, 425 Suzuki I couldn’t understand why my buds weren’t going so I pulled out only to find my right fork being elevated onto the bumper of a mid 70s Cadillac. I fell, rolled and pushed off the front of the bumper so as not to go underneath 3 times in succession. Gary, my best friend looked briefly at me sitting perplexed on the ground as if I had a boomerang stuck to my ass and then quickly ran to check on my bike. That’s only a pinch of why he’s my friend.

                              80, a few - no let’s be honest- way too much to drink. Well that year has a quite a few now to think of it. Running the 425 at 80 mph through a 50 zone past the local cop eatery just as they were pulling out for the remainder of their shift. To be caught would have meant expulsion from college & being half done I wasn’t going to let that much effort slip away. Pinned it ( remember I’m on a 425 with 6 highway cruisers in pursuit), hit the lights, stupidly signalled my internet to pull a left at full speed, ran up a familiar road in the dark with no lights directly to my surprise into a road construction 40 ft tall stockpile and over around a giant excavation which I had no idea was Fing there, and on up to face on with one Leo that had come around the other way, locked it up and around up the wire fencing like I was Steve McQueen then to boot it back to the highway connection only to run into a drive-in letting out. Lights off again full speed into oncoming lane with 3 cruisers still chasing - ended up launching off the top of crest of my driveway into the deck. Lesson learned - slow down once you’ lost them.

                              80 I met Mrs. Trout and on our 1st ride a city bus crossed fully over into our lane. Options were to go around the left blind side into on coming or right as we did down the sidewalk and some 20 stairs which we successfully completed. Shaking and dismounted I asked Mrs Trout if she was ok and her response was that was fun, can we do it again. I knew then and there I had a keeper.

                              Skipping ahead a few too many stories and decades, returning from 2wests have provided my most recent sobering encounters. Remember the point of a 2west is not to be a squid.

                              Once was simply coming across a no longer urgent ambulance MC scene while enroute back from John Day with Mrs Trout & Greggness. It shook us all as we collected our thoughts at the next rest stop. Somehow, we remounted and kept on.

                              The other returning back from Colorado & just east of Winthrop when a 4Runner crossed completely over & I froze with the indecision. I don’t know how the driver’s last minute reaction to her passengers screaming all came around to the vehicle getting back without doing a head on roll over into us like a giant fly swatter but it did. It was the indecision that made me want to stop riding then and there, but it was Mrs. Trout that said “snap out of it and let’s get going” that got me back riding.

                              All in all skills have saved me too many times in combination with some some dam good luck. Yearly Mrs Trout & I sit down to review if we should continue but that meeting is pretty short with the decision to keep on. We know will eventually die of something, so why would we stop riding just in case. That would be like giving up to die voluntarily without squeezing ever bit of juice out of the lime. After all we like Margaritas!
                              Jezzuz, its all or nothing from the Trout-Man! I am exhausted from just reading all that... You should take up gambling in casinos with luck like that...
                              "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by gregness View Post

                                Jezzuz, its all or nothing from the Trout-Man! I am exhausted from just reading all that... You should take up gambling in casinos with luck like that...
                                It's a pretty good summary of all the things you should not do on a motorbike!

                                Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

                                "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

                                06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                                99 Yamaha R1

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X