A few carb cleaning questions from a noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few carb cleaning questions from a noob

1. I found 2 shims on the needle jets-I have stock exhaust-what is the recommend shims for maximizing mileage? Is stock 0 shims?

2. The vacuum switch is gone and and lines are plugged is that switch needed for anything other than EPA rules?

I'm researching carb balancing devices and hope to have the beast back up and running soon.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

What would be the best tool to purchase for the sync procedure? Carbtune, MotionPro or a Gauge type?

Comment

I have been using a gauge set for 30+ years, but that's cause I'm an old fart and hate change. Members say the Motion Pro
      set is pretty badass, I guess they're the mercury type? Carbtune's are spoken highly of too. Somebody should chime in shortly
      with a good opinion on the 2. On the shim thing, carbs had zero shims from factory. I've had 0.020 shims and 2 1/2 turns out on screws
      for 19+ years on mine. Mileage? don't know for sure if good or less, it does run better, and doesn't have the flat spot around 4-4500 rpm.
      Last edited by CHARLIE; 10-15-2021, 04:05 PM.
      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Thanks Charlie, I called the local bike shop down the block (an actual one man shop still in business) and he is going to lend me his Carbtune for the day-I love living in a small town. I was going to pull the carbs and send it to San Rafael but with some Youtubes and a factory service manual and this forum I'm going to learn how to do it.

I'll measure my shims and see if I can get to the .020. I was shocked to see the insides of the carbs shiny and new looking except for the o-rings look crappy. I have an All Balls Racing rebuild kit showing up this weekend. Hope to be underway next week.

My Versys 1000 LT has not been getting much love lately

Now I understand what the 2 1/2 turns means finally. I took off the Muzzy Slip ons and went to stock. I just like quiet bikes.

Comment

I used CarbTune for a while, until I somehow spilt some of the mercury. I have since bought and used the Motion Pro kit (not mercury - little steel rods), with great success.
          Like Charlie said, the shim are to smooth out some of the rpm range.

I actually bought the Factory Pro jet kit and followed the instructions that came with it. No need to send your carbs off. The kit came with shims. It has run very well since.
          The only thing I didn't do was follow the instruction on "turns out". I found that the instructions didn't suit, and have left the turns out at 2 1/4.
          I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

I used 0.030" shims with the screws 2.25 turns out. It ran better and the mileage improved.

The system with the vacuum valve and hoses was to reduce emissions. It was usually blocked off or removed after replacing the stock mufflers.

Not much in the carbs usually requires replacement except the o-rings in the float bowl.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

save your shit and get an Ivans jet kit stock or modified'

nbk

Comment

Just ordered Ivan’s jet kit Zzr 1200
                Last edited by motor_psycho; 10-17-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I looked closer at the set up I have with the needle jet and it had 3 shims that were ON TOP of the cir-clip on the needle valve. There are 5 indents on the nj and the clip is on the 3 one from top Should the shims be UNDER that clip or on top??
                  Seems like bottom if the idea is to shim. They are .02 each.

I'm cleaning up the carbs now trying not to loose parts and waiting for o-rings and jets to show up.

Last edited by motor_psycho; 10-18-2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Looks like that's an aftermarket setup, the OEM ZZR carbs had no clips on the needles, to my knowledge.
                    At least my 02 did not.

Comment

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 4.18.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 4.18.05 PM.png Thanks Charlie, From what I looked up I have an aftermarket needle jet, MIGHT BE DYNOJET? and trying to figure out how to set the clip for starters? Looks like the shims go on top of the e-clip.

I'm looking for smooth running and not real concerned with speed at this point.

So clip at position 4 from the top and one shim looks right but would love to hear from someone who might have some knowledge of this.

Would I be better off just going back to a stock needle that will come with the All Balls Kit?
                      Last edited by motor_psycho; 10-18-2021, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Stock needles - note that the 2 inner carbs have slightly different needles than the outer carbs. To do with fuel richness and heat.
                        My '02 OEM setup had no shims on the needles, only the clip.

I had a Dynojet kit on my ZRX1200, and followed the instructions, ie clip on 4th groove, 2 washers above clip. I did not swap out the OEM slide springs.

ZZR1200 with Factory Pro kit, also said put 2 spacers above the clip.

I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

Mine are simply OEM everything except the 0.020 shims on the needles, 2 1/2 turns out on mix screws.
                          I also have a 4deg advancer on it and always run premium fuel. It cranks right up, idles good, has no
                          flat spots or stumbles. Runs like a scalded dog and has had this setup for some 19 years or so. The advancer
                          has only been on it for 5-6 years but the shim thing I did the summer of 02. She's still a beast when you twist
                          her right ear but runs great no matter what mood you're in.

Comment

Originally posted by motor_psycho View Post
                            Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 4.18.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 4.18.05 PM.png Thanks Charlie, From what I looked up I have an aftermarket needle jet, MIGHT BE DYNOJET? and trying to figure out how to set the clip for starters? Looks like the shims go on top of the e-clip.

I'm looking for smooth running and not real concerned with speed at this point.

So clip at position 4 from the top and one shim looks right but would love to hear from someone who might have some knowledge of this.

Would I be better off just going back to a stock needle that will come with the All Balls Kit?
                            Dynojet make their own jets, so you should be able to confirm if it is their kit by looking at the markings on the main jets. I'm not sure how to tell their jets, but check the Dynojet website. Keihin jets have a stylised K that looks like a star.

My suggestion would be to leave the Dynojet kit if the bike runs well as is. I haven't seen an All Balls service kit, but very much doubt they have genuine Keihin jets and needles. Aftermarket carb parts can be a bit of a lottery as to quality.

You can buy Keihin jets from places like Jets R Us, but you would probably have to buy the Kawi needles to be sure to get the correct ones for the inner and outer carbs.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Bike runs like crap and I need to hold the throttle at 2000 or it dies. I just looked closely at the main jet and there is some tiny hieroglyphics that has a stylized star "K" and 160. The carbs were amazingly spotless and shiny with all the rubber o-rings stiff and falling off so the jets might be OK? Definitely not stock needles but they appear to be Dynojets due to the design. I mainly need the All Balls kit for the o-rings and the float valve that hangs down. I did a through carb cleaning spray through all the spaces with the tube and then soaked in Simple Green degreaser and rinsed and now dry and shiny. I've even still got all the parts. I have a 160 main jet and a 40 slow jet. I'm trying to figure out what is going to be stock and make this beast purr.

I'm hoping that between the All balls kit, the existing needle jets and jets that I can make this bike run smoothly. Just been reading tons and tons of old posts as this topic has been discussed many times before trying to figure out the best combo of parts.

Suggestion still welcome. Don't know how I could have figured out what I have done so far with out this forum to look back on.

My ZZR is in excellent shape. Nothing rusty or worn. All the rubber looks new. Body panels are all good with not scratches or dings. I'll put it up for sale when I get it running perfectly.
                              Last edited by motor_psycho; 10-19-2021, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X