Last Real Ride of 2021?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Real Ride of 2021?

Sunday, October 3- Weather: Warm and Sunny. Roads: Clean and Dry. Traffic: Little to None
    Seeing that the long range forecast calls for sub-freezing temps and possible snow and ice by next weekend, a ride today was mandatory! Judging by the number of bikes I saw on my 190 mile route today, many others reached a similar conclusion. I did a route NW from Spokane up to the little town of Hunters, on the Columbia River. I had lunch at a little river-front park that I had all myself. A great day with lots of good corners and nice fall scenery. Too bad it is probably my last real ride of the year.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Yeah fall has definitely arrived out on the coast. Mid 40 mornings with fog to the tree tops. Sadly the last months of summer were terrible riding months. The fires and road closures kept you on the coast and the tourists were wall to w
    all here. The tweener roads were even bad. I guess an enduro is a need for the back roads

Comment

Couple pics... my private picnic area on the shore of Lake Roosevelt/Columbia River, and the overlook of the Spokane River where I took a break on the ride home. Oct3b.jpg Oct 3b.jpg

Comment

Very nice Greg.
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Man, that is some beautiful country. Glad you got out. Who knows, maybe there will be another good day or to spit in the face of the crazy weather and circumstances of the last couple of years, and sneak in one or two more.

My ride plans were foiled by a poor forecast too. Was supposed to head out Sunday for a multi-day ride up into Alabama, TN, and the Carolinas. Going to try and take off on either Wed or Thurs. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I am hearing sounds of Paul Revere and the Raiders on your playlist while ridin the Rez ..... looks like a great day to wind along two lovely rivers !
            I managed to stuff my shoulder into a berm while crashing the KTM 300 ( too much front brake on dry loose gravel ) .... typing 1 armed . Losing the dirt Mojo !
            Great pics to get us pumped for 2022 !
            S

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
              Couple pics... my private picnic area on the shore of Lake Roosevelt/Columbia River, and the overlook of the Spokane River where I took a break on the ride home. Oct3b.jpg Oct 3b.jpg
              Love that pic!
              Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

Comment

Good to hear that you got out for another ride before the cold weather arrives, Greg. Nice pics, too!
                My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

I like the colour combo with the gold pin stripe detail

Comment

We can ride all year where I live. (Auckland, NZ). I'd find it difficult not to be able to ride for so long, but the roads and scenery look great where you are.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Out today for probably the last ride to see the fall colors in Eastern Canada. I might squeeze in one more if the mild weather holds next week. Otherwise it will be winter storage time again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A reprieve! Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be 69 degrees and sunny, and I am pretty sure they have not sanded my roads yet. 120 miles of late-season bliss coming my way...

Comment

So TODAY was almost certainly the LAST real ride of 2021! By "real" I mean warm enough to be comfortable without wearing all kinds of insulation, and on roads that are free of the sand and gravel that will soon be dumped on them with the first snow. 70 degrees, nice and sunny (rare for here in mid-October)... I put in a nice 130 mile loop through river valleys and farm country over to Idaho, touching base on the southern-most shore of Lake Coeur d'Alene. On my way to that spot is the star of this particular ride, a 3 mile long low mountain pass that feature 15 pretty fun corners, just over the Idaho line. Just before that is a remote stretch of road that has long (miles) straights through wheat and hay fields with no driveways. You know what happens there. I caught up with a beater MR2 a couple miles before my twisty section started and prepared to pass him. Then some weirdness started.

As I rolled on and moved into the left lane to pass, I could see his car react as he (likely) floored it. No matter, I blasted past and a few moments later I looked at my speedo (140) and then in my mirror... he was not quite as far back as he should have been; I could see he was still "on it". I had about a mile or so before my twisty section started, and I wanted to be clear of him- so up I go to about 150 for a bit, and then begin braking for the first left hander. I glanced in my mirror before I pitched in to the first left-hander, and he was now WAY back. I took the first few turns at good speed (not crazy speed) but as I exited the last of those... Shit! A stretch of freshly applied chip-seal appeared before me, with berms in the center and sides and all. I hauled it down and started tip-toeing along. Near the top of the pass, all of the sudden Mr. Beater MR2 came flying past me, and proceeded to pelt me with rocks and envelope me with dust as he slid around the corner in front of me. I braked as quickly as I could and started moving even slower to let the dust dissipate. He disappeared into the dust. He was really pushing it and I half expected to find him wadded up in a corner. Maybe a half mile and seven or so corners later all the sudden the chip-seal was gone, and nice clean road was under me again. Which was pretty cool, since the remaining half-dozen corners are the best on that particular hill. A few minutes later I came into the town of Plummer and was going to pull into the first gas station, but I saw him pull in there and then hop out, looking right at me. I pulled in, grabbed a nearby two by four and started walking towards him.

No that's bullshit, I just rode through town and on down to the shore of the lake! (about 6 more miles) Which was a bit of a shock because the temperature dropped from about 70 down to 57 by the time I was on the beach! I took a quick photo a rode back up to Plummer. I did the pass again- fun corners/tiptoe through shit/ fun corners again and then on down to the straights. I turned a bit later and did a nice ride through low hills over to the town of Latah and back- a procession of 80 mph sweepers... On the way I stopped at an abandoned farm stead alongside the road and took a break. Falling down buildings were over grown with trees and weeds, right up to the edges of the wheat fields on all sides. I sat and soaked up the sun and quiet for a bit. Then it was on the bike, and back home with a stop for a full tank of non-ethanol premium on the way. Tomorrow she gest a bath and a shot of Sta-Bil.

Ride1.jpg
                          Lake Shore

Ride2.jpg
                          Break Time
                          Last edited by gregness; 10-16-2021, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Did my first ride since mid may. 200 smiles man these bikes are f a s t. Peace

Comment

Looks like a great day for a ride, but with a little more excitement than you expected.

There's a back road I can take on my way into Auckland from the south. It is quite hilly with a good mix of fast and slow corners, although a few of them are blind. One afternoon I was coming home after a long ride, and didn't back off as much as I should have for one of the blind corners. Just before the apex, there was fresh chip seal, and the bike slid, then gripped, slid some more and somehow made it around the corner.

It would not have been a good place to crash as there was an earth bank on the outside of the corner. That certainly got my attention though, and I have been more careful on blind corners ever since.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

"You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                              99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                              X