Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ohlins Shock for ZX14R- Anybody done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohlins Shock for ZX14R- Anybody done this?

As noted in my recent ride thread, I think my 6 year old rear shock may be falling off, and I am considering my options. Ohlins makes two shocks for this bike- the TTX, multi adjustable race-spec item ($1250) and the simpler, street oriented ST46. Anybody installed either of these? Any comments?

Thanks,

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

The TTX is SWEET with the adjusters being so easily accessible.

However, don't know if it's worth the extra money over the STX.

Then again, if you plan on buying the STX with the remote pre load adjuster your back to around $1200

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...x14r-2006-2014

Either way, definitely an upgrade over stock.

I'm running a PENSKE.

My .02
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

G, considered Nitron at all? Not sure how they compare on price but my understanding is Nitron's entry-level shocks are a little better than Ohlins lower priced range

Comment

Thanks boys. Lots of time to think this one through as this season is about done...

Comment

I have always thought about going to an Ohlins, but my track expenses overruled the upgrade. I think that it would be an excellent upgrade for you and provide easy pre-load adjustability for luggage, passenger or hard riding. I did get my spanners out and tightened up the spring to help with the wallowing in corners.
          My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
          http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Originally posted by spedxprt View Post
            I have always thought about going to an Ohlins, but my track expenses overruled the upgrade. I think that it would be an excellent upgrade for you and provide easy pre-load adjustability for luggage, passenger or hard riding. I did get my spanners out and tightened up the spring to help with the wallowing in corners.
            Whoa, excellent arguments Bill! If I get a TTX I will tell them to send you a commission check!

Comment

I did the Ohlins switch on the ZZR 1200 helped out. But I I put aftermarket lightweight wheels on my 14 R do not remember the name brand that was a huge difference much bigger difference than a rear shock so wheels are better peace
              Last edited by ZZ-r; 09-19-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ-r View Post
                I did the Ohlins switch on the ZZR 1200 helped out. But I I put aftermarket lightweight wheels on my 14 R do not remember the name brand that was a huge difference much bigger difference than a rear shock so wheels are better peace
                Got that- I put OZ forged wheels on mine years ago, transformed the bike... I think my factory shock is aging out, and thus the search for an upgrade...

Comment

Ya boy peace

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                    The TTX is SWEET with the adjusters being so easily accessible.

However, don't know if it's worth the extra money over the STX.

Then again, if you plan on buying the STX with the remote pre load adjuster your back to around $1200

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...x14r-2006-2014

Either way, definitely an upgrade over stock.

I'm running a PENSKE.

My .02
                    https://www.penskeshocks.com/product...le-adjustable/

Penske was on mine as well.

That, the AK20s is in the forks and proper suspension setup (in short - raised the bike - no scraping the front lower cowling like Troy ) made a huge difference.
                    Last edited by tbolt; 09-20-2021, 07:44 AM.
                    tbolt

Comment

While we are on the topic... what seems to be the most helpful tweak to the 2013-20 forks?

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                        While we are on the topic... what seems to be the most helpful tweak to the 2013-20 forks?
                        I'd say a revalve and sprung for your weight and riding style.

I did the AK 20 cartridge kit and springs from Traxxion Dynamics on mine.

https://traxxion.com/product/cartridge-kit-ak20k-zx14/
                        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

I'd say a revalve and sprung for your weight and riding style.

I did the AK 20 cartridge kit and springs from Traxxion Dynamics on mine.

https://traxxion.com/product/cartridge-kit-ak20k-zx14/
                          ^^^^^^^ this.

I've had Traxxion dynamics set up the forks and shock on my ZX10 and they did a fantastic job. They also service my bikes' shocks and forks. It is a PITA having to box everything up and send it to them, but I do it over the winter and they have a quick turn around.

Best way to handle it is to give them a call - 770-592-3823 and discuss your riding style, weight, budget, etc.. I've usually talk to either Dan or Mike. I will say that while all that work and money makes a big difference, it won't make a ZX14 handle like a dedicated sportbike.
                          tbolt

Comment

Working...
                          X