NBD for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBD for me

2021 Ninja 1000 SX is now parked in the garage. Test rode it 2 months ago, himmed and hawwed about buying it. Finally decided that since I had worked a side hustle for the past four years with the proceeds intended for a new bike there's no time like the present to go for it. It's probably the last brand new vehicle I'll buy. It's different but I think I can adjust. Going to take a bit of time after 11 years on the same bike. Definitely feels more tossable based on the 50 mile ride home. I've already bought an Akra slip on and the Kawi hard bags, used. Gotta pinch some pennies somewhere. This will be a distraction from the Phoenix reassembly....

Congrats on the new ride. Keep the shiny side up and let the farkling begin.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Cool Scott! What are you going to do with your old Zed? Or did you trade it in?
      "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Congrats Scott! Look forward to the pics and your ride reports!
        My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
        http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Fake news unless pics are posted! ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Those question marks are supposed to be a smilie. Tapatalk emoji issue apparently.

Congrats Scott!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Thanks all. I'll post a few pics when the weather improves. As to the disposition of the Phoenix: that's a good question. There is absolutely a sentimental attachment to it. And, assuming my recent carb and valve service proves successful, it runs great and has recent full brake service etc. It would also be much better suited to the rare occasions when Mrs Slayman joins me. But realistically, how much will I ride it to justify keeping it? And I really don't have room for it. In the short term I expect to hang on to it until I'm absolutely certain that the Ninja and I "connect".

Comment

Originally posted by slayman View Post
                Thanks all. I'll post a few pics when the weather improves. As to the disposition of the Phoenix: that's a good question. There is absolutely a sentimental attachment to it. And, assuming my recent carb and valve service proves successful, it runs great and has recent full brake service etc. It would also be much better suited to the rare occasions when Mrs Slayman joins me. But realistically, how much will I ride it to justify keeping it? And I really don't have room for it. In the short term I expect to hang on to it until I'm absolutely certain that the Ninja and I "connect".
                And you can have a spare bike to share with visiting dignitaries!
                "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Very cool Scott. Awaiting your impressions.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
                    Very cool Scott. Awaiting your impressions.
                    +1

Love to read a compare+contrast write up, Scott

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                    ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post

+1

Love to read a compare+contrast write up, Scott
                      I will do my best to accommodate. Looks like commuting weather the rest of the week.

Comment

Went out for a 260 mile 6 hour ride on Memorial day. This bike is very easy to ride. I'd say I'm as comfortable with the handling as I am on the ZZR. Misjudged a corner entry speed and had to lean it a bit more, easy peasy. lean indicator showed 43 degrees. Proof will be when I go out with my local riding partners and see how I keep up. They are both quicker than I.
                        Comfort: I'll probably look at a seat alternative, although this was the first long ride of the year. Reach to bars is good although angle is a bit off. Pegs are a bit high but that is correctable by lowering or perhaps with a taller seat. Vibrations aren't an issue to me so far. I'll probably look at a different screen to get airflow over my head. A bit more buffeting than on the ZZR with a double bubble. Hands are definitely out in the wind more. I noticed this on a 42deg ride to work. My hands would have been fine on the ZZR. Not sure that the factory heated grips are all that effective.
                        Driveability: I am finding the throttle to be a bit choppy at low rpm partial opening. Difficult to be smooth. 1st can be tough to engage at stop signs, weird . Quick shifter is kind of fun. Generally it feels quicker than the ZZR. We'll see how it compares now that the carbs are fixed up on the ZZR...when I get around to putting it back together. The Akra slip on is too quiet compared to the hole shots. Need to get the suspension set up. Rear rebound seems a bit....."soft"?
                        Still lots of farkling to figure out: GPS mounting, a tank bag that works better than my old magnetic, finish up the factory hard bag install, aux lights on the front, blaster taillight set up.
                        Rear stand, since a center stand is not an option. Looking for suggestions on this. Apparently the spool location on these can interfere with the exhaust if you leave the spools on and they are too long.
                        Time for the first service.
                        So far so good. Looking forward to a good all day ride about for further evaluation.

Comment

Takes a while to get suited to a new bike. New to your,, or brand new. When I worked for the dealerships, I got different bikes every couple of weeks. I believe the ZZR1200 I have now will be the last bike I buy, do to my age and Spinal Cord disabilities (worked related, never got hurt on the bikes?). ;)

Comment

From this morning's 150 mile ride about. Time for the first service.
                            2021-06-06 w smoker.jpg

Comment

Great pic!! Where is that? :)

Comment

Working...
                              X