Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, I am now ready for riding season to begin. Are we there yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, I am now ready for riding season to begin. Are we there yet?

So I put on some Joe Satriani up here at my snow-bound cabin 25 miles from the border with Gar/Dave/BCTrout land, and since Joe S. kind of provided my personal soundtrack for our epic Montana triple digits all fu*king day ride last summer, I am now totally in ST withdrawal... but months of snow-bound no-riding shite remain before me. It does remind me that the big Kwacker needs its 15,000 mile valve adjustment (18,500 miles is perfect) and I have to decide whether I want to spend 47 hours removing bodywork, radiators, emissions crap, insulation, wiring and shite just to get to the goddam valve cover. Or pay some idiots $900 to pretend they did it. Fu*k me.

As for you a$$holes in Australia, New Zealand, Arizona and Florida, I am insanely jealous.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

I'll be on the bike today, its going to be sunny and mid 60's.
    Yea that's me doing cabbage patch angles on the side of the road!!!! Just wave cuz I'm OK :)

Comment

Wife and I have been able to ride many times down in south Oklahoma since "winter" started. Albeit below freezing nearly every morning, and iced hard a handful of times, waiting till noon, and heading out for a few hours works well.

As for your valve adjustment conundrum, you have the skills and tools to do the job. You also have the same inherent fear of letting someone else sell you short. Remember the situation I found myself in the day before the ride to your cabin? A reputable dealer who said it would ALL get done and ended up giving me a bill for $140 for essentially an oil change and chain adjust, and they had it for nearly 2 weeks. Start now ordering all the parts and shim kit (if you can't exchange at a dealer for a fee), and get started tearing in.. Yes, the time investment is the down side to much of the job. I spent a few weeks doing the maintenance plus other things not needed.

i think I still have the pics for the fuel filter too I could email you.

Comment

I’m itching to throw my leg over the saddle too. I always get the itch midway through winter. It will probably be another 2-3 months before the weatherman will cooperate. In the meantime I have skiing to keep me entertained.

3F49EC71-9128-454F-9C5F-A11CB92FDA2C.jpeg FE81DDB1-A343-4416-83E5-21DC28907E62.jpeg 29FD237C-E3B7-41C4-9F91-F1E88755C969.jpeg

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by bretb View Post
          Wife and I have been able to ride many times down in south Oklahoma since "winter" started. Albeit below freezing nearly every morning, and iced hard a handful of times, waiting till noon, and heading out for a few hours works well.

As for your valve adjustment conundrum, you have the skills and tools to do the job. You also have the same inherent fear of letting someone else sell you short. Remember the situation I found myself in the day before the ride to your cabin? A reputable dealer who said it would ALL get done and ended up giving me a bill for $140 for essentially an oil change and chain adjust, and they had it for nearly 2 weeks. Start now ordering all the parts and shim kit (if you can't exchange at a dealer for a fee), and get started tearing in.. Yes, the time investment is the down side to much of the job. I spent a few weeks doing the maintenance plus other things not needed.

i think I still have the pics for the fuel filter too I could email you.
          Hey Bret, good to hear from you. Your "valve adjust service" experience was not unique, many on this site have testified! I would be working on the bike right now, but my "add sound insulation and replace a door hinge" project on my El Camino kind of saw some "mission creep". Now it includes "replace the power window motors, install a vent-window elimination kit, replace the Malibu dash with a new SS unit with full instrumentation and stereo system". So it's all apart all over my garage. If I get that wrapped up with a little time left before riding begins, I will tackle the Kawi...

Hope you are finding some winding roads to ride down there!
          "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post

As for you a$$holes in Australia, New Zealand, Arizona and Florida, I am insanely jealous.

G
            Jealous you may be, but it has actually been too fu*king hot to ride now and then.
            Perth, Western Australia.
            “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

It has been a rough winter for us assholes in Arizona, low 60’s some days

It may make you feel better to know that I do not do track days during the winter months of January and February and have to wear a jacket liner on local rides

Hang in there Greg with your winter. I hope we can all get together this summer for some riding in the northwest
              My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
              http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post

Jealous you may be, but it has actually been too fu*king hot to ride now and then.
                It's been perfect in Auckland. :D
                Last edited by Moise; 01-18-2021, 09:43 AM.
                "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I suppose I take year round riding for granted.

Tomorrow sonds nice, 70F and sunny. Maybe I will get out for a cruise. It still feels a little weird with all the change that the covid brought about. Time to start making a new normal.

Comment

Got the rear shock installed today.

Supposed to be up in the 50's here on Thursday.

Hopefully get a chance to take it out and see how it feels with the new suspension.
                    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

A balmy but nice 35 degrees C (95 F) here today, excellent day for a ride along the coast, admiring the walking scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                        A balmy but nice 35 degrees C (95 F) here today, excellent day for a ride along the coast, admiring the walking scenery.
                        Focus man, focus!

Comment

I did!

Comment

I did too. 50 miles over to a cloverleaf, around about 10 times, and back again.

Better than nuthin'.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X