Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Weather Starting and Battery

Hi All,

So, I start my zzr1200 once a week in the winter to keep her running.

If I can ride, I'll take her for a short trip....very short if it's REALLY cold.

Anyway, I haven't started her in 2 weeks and before i did, I said to myself...watch it won't start...and sure enough it didn't.

I keep her in the garage, and before starting I put the battery on a tender till it said it was charged.

I know in the winter it turns over slower and today was not exception...only it was a little slower than usual.

I tried and tried in short bursts and waited a bit before attempting another try but no go.

Finally I took my tractor battery...Diehard Gold 340 CCA (yeah baby) and jump started it...fired right up.

This is still the battery I bought her with....WOW on 8/2015 (just checked) and who knows when the prior owner bought that one.

It's a good battery, never had issues, ProStart AGM LT14-4FA. Once a week I put a tender on and top her off to remain charged.

So.....is it a good idea to finally replace the battery? Or is this considered normal being it's been cold and I haven't started her in 2 weeks?

Dinky

Need new. Peace

Comment

Yeah, 6 years old battery, time to replace it.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

So what battery would you guys recommend?

At a reasonable price....excluding lithium ones.

Comment

I like to stay with oem battery, they usually are very good.

Comment

Yup - you need a new battery. Yuasa batteries are generally my go to.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

I was looking at YUSA but their warranty is a mystery....can't find it anywhere.

I also saw Duracell Ultra batteries at battery plus.....82 reviews at 5 star and the warranty is clearly stated on the battery plus website...24 month free replacement. But $124.00.

Problem is they are 30 miles from me...

Comment

Starting it and running for such a short time is not a good practice. Keeping it on a battery tender ALL the time is a good practice.
                How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                (c) I never worry much about anything.
                (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                (e) I love my wife and children.
                (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post
                  Starting it and running for such a short time is not a good practice. Keeping it on a battery tender ALL the time is a good practice.
                  Agreed....but I've had the battery myself for 6 years...who knows how long the prior owner had it and this is the first time i had issues starting it....been keeping the same routine since I got her.

Would it be better to keep the battery inside during the winter as opposed to the garage?

Probably go for the YUSA battery as was suggested....
                  Last edited by dinkyguitar; 01-09-2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

No need to keep the battery indoors. But really, it's not at all good for the engine or the exhaust system to be run for short times. It just adds water and acids. Best to change the oil, put it on the tender, cover, and let it sit quietly all winter.
                    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                    (c) I never worry much about anything.
                    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                    (e) I love my wife and children.
                    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

This.....

https://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cr...4-Battery.html

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Sounds like you need a new battery.

I'd recommend a battery from Yuasa.

The last one I bought on line.

They shipped it with the acid separate.

All you need to do is add the acid, put it on a slow charge overnight and you are good to go.

Good luck and keep us posted.
                        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

From what I've heard the Yuasa battery has 2 versions. A USA made and a Japanese made. My original
                          Japanese version lasted around 12 years, my second one, a USA made lasted about 5. I have a gel-acid
                          in mine now, completely sealed. I never have had to use battery tenders, I ride all year, except extremes.
                          Longest mine ever sat not ridden was about 6 weeks, when I had back surgery some 12 years ago.
                          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Thanks everyone....

So I'm going to order the Yuasa YTX14H-BS and hopefully a new battery tender....

I have an old battery tender jr. type, but would like to step up to this one:

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...0&resizew=1000

Plus change the charging cables going to the battery...I believe this charger includes that.

Comment

My OEM Yuasa battery only lasted 9 years.
                              My current battery is SSB Glass Mat battery. It sat for 5 months doing nothing during my engine overhaul, and was good to go straight after that.
                              Perth, Western Australia.
                              “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X