Life's enduring questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life's enduring questions

Time for new rubber this week and, while I am at it, going to refit a new set of angled tire valves which were removed by the dipshit who fitted my last tires on the only time I have allowed a dealer to do ANY shit to my bike. (Did he just want them for himself or some arcane supposed safety crap that demanded replacing them?)
    Thus my question is.. why the f*** is it beyond manufacturers to supply new wheels with angled valves in place? Yeah, I have a 90 degree fitting on my air hose which helps but it is still necessary for me to fist my baby past the brake discs to get access and get that perfect "pffft" to check pressure and prevent leakage.
    Simple shit I agree but an unnecessary fiddle which, in truth, deflects me from a quick pressure check as often as I should. (Lazy bastard!)
    Some years ago I recall participating in a survey to go to Kawasaki re suggestions for improvements to their products. Apparently they listened because, lo and behold, soon after I saw the re-introduction of two similarly friendly standard mods. i.e. eccentric chain adjusters and factory fitted bungee attachment hooks. Both of these wonderful inventions were present on my '86 GpZ RX1000. Why did they disappear I have to ask? My 2013 14R is sadly devoid of handy attachment points for the occasional bungee lash up. Even the European version of the same vintage had a passenger grab handle behind the rear seat which was kinda useful for other purposes. Why not on the US spec I wonder?
    I actually picked up said handle on eBay for small outlay and the mounting holes are present to take the bolts so the sub frame is exactly the same. I have not gotten around to a little surgery on the plastic tail piece to allow it to fit. (Where is that Dremel tool I used to have?)
    OK Bitch.. bitch.. bitch over!
    Just one last.. hate to applaud Honda but they do good shit. 40yrs ago my 750KZ had a seat fitted with a hinge on the side so you could just flip it up rather than lift off completely. (Must have come from the space age invention of the door?)
    Now that you have all given up the will to live I will go back in my cave!
    Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
    A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Originally posted by philabeg View Post
    ... is it beyond manufacturers to supply new wheels with angled valves in place?
    No. KTM and Ducati both do, for example. I think the obvious reason why most brands use cheaper straight valve stems is because they are... cheaper to buy and take much less labor to install.

Manufacturers may also judge that straight rubber pull-through stems are less susceptible to installation mistakes such as over- or under-torqueing or misplacement of the rubber washers, and also that they have no risk of coming apart due to vibration. Straight stems also are less prone to leaking caused by centrifugal force. I've never had any of those problems with my 90-degree stems.
    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
    (c) I never worry much about anything.
    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
    (e) I love my wife and children.
    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Good questions indeed. I’m going to smoke a little and give them some thought to see if I can come up with some life enduring answers.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Just pay a horrendous amount for a new H2 SX, they come with metal angled valves.

​​​​​But you'll have to buy your own tool to adjust the swing arm, so it might be a wash

My rant on this stuff is about shrinking gas tanks. 22l is the correct amount of fuel for most bikes, and 23l is better. 19l and under is fine for the track or posing at Starbucks

​​​​Oh, and Kawasaki forgot to apply grease to the 2018 H2 SX SE. Seemed pretty basic, but they obviously haven't learned since the ZZR1200 squeaked out of the factory with bearings untroubled by the slightest hint of lube
        Last edited by YYCZED; 09-10-2020, 09:52 AM.

Comment

My 1975 KE 175 has a hinged seat.
          "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

My lawn tractor has a hinged seat.
            KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

My tiolet has one. The wife is especially fond of that feature.

How about the helmet lock. My newest ride came sans any feature to secure a helemet. My 2006 Honda came with a freestanding cable that needed to be looped through the helmet buckle and then stuck to some unknown spot under the passenger seat. I never bothered.

Gonna look into rubber angled replacement valves. I don't need melal ones. I would probably check my pressures more often if I had them.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                My lawn tractor has a hinged seat.
                I’m un-hindged.
                Last edited by bctrout; 09-10-2020, 05:33 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
                  My tiolet has one. The wife is especially fond of that feature.

How about the helmet lock. My newest ride came sans any feature to secure a helemet. My 2006 Honda came with a freestanding cable that needed to be looped through the helmet buckle and then stuck to some unknown spot under the passenger seat. I never bothered.

Gonna look into rubber angled replacement valves. I don't need melal ones. I would probably check my pressures more often if I had them.
                  Your toilet has a helmet lock!!!!

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Those angled valve stems, if rubber and not metal, will flex outward toward the wheel due to centrifugal force and will crack over time. Been there, done that. Straight stems for me.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                    ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Nah! These are aluminum and bolted inside the rim. Just fitted today when changing tires. What a difference in getting the nozzle on there! Had them before with zero issues.
                      Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
                      A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

Agree for sure! They were stock on my Triumph ST and came fitted to the OZ wheels I put on my 14R. I was very tired of nicking up my hands on brake rotor edges trying to get a reading with the straight ones, they have no place on a bike with big brakes. Chris will get used to them, just as he grudgingly accepted overhead valves, liquid cooling and multi-cylinder motorcycles...
                        "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Working...
                        X