SS brake lines and bar risers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS brake lines and bar risers

Ok, so my zzr12 came into my life with genmar 1.24" bar risers and an extended length SS upper brake line already installed.
    I just got around to buying what I thought was a kit containing the lower left and right lines, but alas, the kit was a two line replacement for the 3 line stock setup.
    Now my dilemma... Try to make the two lines reach as is, OR.... can anyone see what I'm not in thinking that I could just replace the two rubber lines with the two braided lines from the splitter down and simply put an arch or loop in the excess...
    I mean we're not talking about feet in length here, a couple inches perhaps.. And the difference in length between the two sides shouldn't even be a factor, hydraulic principles and all....
    Anyone ever try factory length double lines with risers?
    Luck / outcome / insight???
    Last edited by mjmcg; 09-08-2020, 09:58 PM.
    2004 ZZR1200 moonlight gray, Shinko 011 Verge tires, 1.25" bar risers, color matched Corbin Beetle Bags, stock exhaust, KLEEN system removed.

I would try the two SS lines from the top, see how it fits.
    I have that setup, but can't remember if they were any longer than OEM rubber ones, its been a while....

Alternatively, there is nothing wrong with the two SS lines from the splitter, and cross them over.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Ahhhh, the ol comb over....nice, I like that.
      I'll see how the run is from the top down first. I didn't think those risers made that much difference but yeah, that inch and a hair may as well be mile when lines don't reach.
      2004 ZZR1200 moonlight gray, Shinko 011 Verge tires, 1.25" bar risers, color matched Corbin Beetle Bags, stock exhaust, KLEEN system removed.

Comment

If the two lines will reach the reservoir directly, it's absolutely better to take out all of the old stuff, including the existing SS short line and the original splitter. All you need is a double banjo bolt and washers at the reservoir.

Be sure that when the new lines are installed they will be long enough to turn the bars fully in both directions.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

They turn with the bars .....
          Just saying.
          Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
            If the two lines will reach the reservoir directly, it's absolutely better to take out all of the old stuff, including the existing SS short line and the original splitter. All you need is a double banjo bolt and washers at the reservoir.

Be sure that when the new lines are installed they will be long enough to turn the bars fully in both directions.

Yes, thanks. The two line kit I bought came with the double banjo and two singles.

Turning the bars isn't so much a concern because they will remain static with regard to their positioning from the MC to the calipers. Turning the bars doesn't tug or slack them.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
              They turn with the bars .....
              Just saying.
              Yes... I am a moron.

I was remembering having to worry about throttle and choke cables when I installed Helis.
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post

Yes... I am a moron.

I was remembering having to worry about throttle and choke cables when I installed Helis.
                I did run into that however, because whoever installed the genmars and upper brake line failed to move the throttle cable. I moved it when I did the air filter but I still came up short. (Story of my life)
                I had no play in the throttle whatsoever and when I turned tight it would rev the engine. Very disconcerting.
                Why I had the shop do the valves, they managed to F up the new gasket and send me home with a fancy little oil leak BUT, they did manage to reroute the throttle cable BACK over to the factory side and give me plenty of play.
                The choke cable has never been a problem at all though.

Comment

Well, I've been playing with the routing of these brake lines and it appears as though they may be a bit on the short side because of the risers. That 1.24" block under the bar may as well be a foot and a half.
                  As I said, when I bought them I had no idea they were supposed to run from the MC down but rather I thought they only ran from the splitter down. They'll be a mile long but I'm guessing I'll end up using them off the splitter as I thought they were originally intended. I'll just have a nice big service loop in each one LOL!!
                  The kick in the sack is I got them for $21.77 brand new, in retail packing with all factory tags and markings as authentic Galfer.
                  For whatever reason they were sitting on Amazon for months as "1 left order now" and when the mood struck to do just that, I noted that upon going back nd looking at the listing to see if it said out of stock, it actually said 3 in stock at $89.46 (still does as of my writing this)
                  Got no idea why they had one for so long at $14.77+ 7 shipping. Makes no sense, but a $90 set of stainless lines for 22 bucks....hells yes. I'll tie em in a knot around the forks if I have to!

Comment

Working...
                  X