Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New boy needing help

HI AND THANKS FOR ALLOWING ME TO JOIN THE FORUM

I'M JUST ABOUT TO BUY A ZZR 1100 D 1997 IN BLACK WITH 6500MILES ON THE CLOCK (YES REALLY) BUT IT HAS BEEN STANDING FOR A WHILE AND IS REALLY HARD TO START .
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SURGGESTIONS ON THE CAUSE OF THIS ? SHOULD THE FUEL PUMP CLICK WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED ON ?
    IVE BEEN TOLD THE CARBS WHERE CLEANED OUT BUT I HAVE MY DOUBTS ABOUT THAT .

ALSO WHAT MANUAL DO YOU SURGGEST IN ENGLAND ITS EITHER THE HAYNES OR FACTORY MANUALS , THE HAYNES MANUAL i HAVE SEEN SAYS UP TO 1983 TO 1994 IS THIS RIGHT ? AND IS THERE MUCH DIFFERANCE BETWEEN THE C AND D MODELS .

I'M ALREADY LOOKING AT THE VALVE CHECK GUIDE ON HERE AND HOPEFULLY THIS SITE WILL BE A FONT OF KNOWLEDGE FOR ME AND A GOOD START PLACE

THANKS FOR ANY HELP AND I'LL POST SOME PICS ASAP

Welcome Kinky

PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAP LOCK!!! PLEASE!!!

"Hard to start"?.....

When it does start, does it run well?
    If no... then... Likely needs a good carb cleaning or rebuild.
    If it runs ok after a hard start, could be it needs a battery, or plugs are fowled.. or... might need a carb cleaning.

You can probably find the factory service manual online if you search around for it.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Yes- do turn off the caps lock, its like you're shouting at us!

The bike... sounds like it could be a real plum! I would just assume the carbs need to be gone through and get on with it. Might want to give the tank a good rinse out too.

Shoot us a pic of the beast so we can all feel jealous.

G

"The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

caplock sorted LOL
        thanks for the advise ,I'll be bringing it home next week after I've sorted my garage door .otherwise it parked out side .
        get some photos asap

Comment

can any one tell me should I hear the fuel pump priming up when I turn the key ? does it make any noise at all ?

Comment

From what I recall you'll here it "energize" and then be silent.

Been a bit since I had a ZED so I could be incorrect.
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by kinkyfreestyler View Post
              can any one tell me should I hear the fuel pump priming up when I turn the key ?
              Yes, clicking sort of noise just as you describe.
              How To Cheat on Personality Tests
              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
              (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
              (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
              (c) I never worry much about anything.
              (d) I don't care for books or music much.
              (e) I love my wife and children.
              (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
              From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

My two cents , if its like the ZZR1200..... the fuel pump should only click a short amount , like a second or two tops. Once the correct back pressure is reached, the pumps should stop pumping/ clicking. If you have extended amounts of clicking , and every time you turn your key on, you may have leaking float pins or seats ... which means the pump is pushing fuel down into your cylinders and can cause hard starting from hydraulic-ing (?) .... and for me also made for very rich running when it started.

If it is a case of poor float pins/ seats, do keep an eye on your oil level ( is there a window on an 1100?) .... in my case the fuel got washed into the crankcase at a quick rate ... elevating the oil level. If your in there cleaning carbs you will want to replace your float pins and seats anyway .....

Haven't really had any other issue...... Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by kinkyfreestyler View Post
                  can any one tell me should I hear the fuel pump priming up when I turn the key ? does it make any noise at all ?
                  Yes..... Clickity, click for a few seconds then stop.. If it doesn't stop, you have a carb problem... likely floats sticking open. Could be dangerous as Steve describes, but, a carb cleaning should fix it easy enough.
                  “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

None of you know? What. Bunch of suzy riders...
                    Homeboy, when you cycle the key and hit the starter button, that engages the fuel pump. It will click until it reaches a pressure. Don't remember exactly when the shut off is. You have to bump the starter before you'll hear the pump.
                    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Yeah, but is the 1100 the same? On the R1 the pump comes on when you turn the key and turns off after a few seconds if you don't start the engine.
                      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Hi guys thanks for the help offered . got the bike home at last and set about stripping it down , checked the fuel pump plus the relay and they checked out .So I emptied the dreggs out of the fuel tank and there was so much rust came out I was amazed !

so loads of nuts and bolts into the tank and shaky shaky time (my arms started hurting ) then flushed the tank with water several times ,dried it out by sitting it on a radiator in the house for a day then poured 2stroke oil in and swilled it around to coat the inside of the tank stop it rusting up straight away.

Total carb strip and deep clean .whilst I was there I checked the valve clearances and oils and plugs etc.......... then put it all back together with nice fresh fuel

AND........... started up a it rough untill all the crap had blown out the exhaust , YEAH !

So filled the tank up and took her for a ride ! never missed a beat did get worried when she went onto reserve and I couldn't turn the fuel tap quick enough but she started up once i got the fuel flowing and I ran her 20miles on reserve till I filled the tank up again.

No problems .

so I now have a zzr1100 with 6500miles on it ,that looks amazing now shes polished an clean .

I'll get some photos when I can.

I'm going to give it some fresh brake pads as well as I was totally underwhelmed by the brakes, or is this as good as they get ? any surgestions on pads or are ebc sintered pas ok ?

thanks again for the help
                        Last edited by kinkyfreestyler; 09-25-2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Yay!! That is great to read. Big win!!
                          How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                          1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                          (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                          (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                          (c) I never worry much about anything.
                          (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                          (e) I love my wife and children.
                          (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                          From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Glad you got it sorted.

Please do post up some pics
                            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
                            X