Pilot Road 4 opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Road 4 opinions

A few of us are planning a trip to the South Island (NZ) in November. The original plan was to see the MotoGP at Phillip Island but that's not happening this year.

The roads down there are hard on tyres and I will need a new set before we leave. I normally run M7RR on the R1, but I expect a new set would be pretty well used up by the end of the trip. I can get a set of Pilot Road 4's on special and am thinking that that could be a better option.

I expect quite a few of you have used them on bikes like the ZX14. I'm sure they'll be great in the wet, but what are they like in the dry? I've read a couple of reviews where vagueness at high lean angles and spinning up are mentioned, although most people reckon they are great street tyres. But I do like to have fun in the twisties and would not want a tyre that could spoil that.

Any other recommendations? Would the Road 5 be a better option, although the set would cost $100 more.
    "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
    99 Yamaha R1

I ran the 5's on my Zed1200 but I went from the Road2 to the 5, skipping the 3 and 4.
    I'm running Power5's now, sticks like on rails. I don't expect the millage of the
    Roads but I don't care. Power5 is badass. Just giving you a comparison of those 2
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Comments from GTR1400 riders that I know, is that PR4 fronts cup too early.

I prefer PR5's myself. Great wear, good in wet and dry.
      I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
        I ran the 5's on my Zed1200 but I went from the Road2 to the 5, skipping the 3 and 4.
        I'm running Power5's now, sticks like on rails. I don't expect the millage of the
        Roads but I don't care. Power5 is badass. Just giving you a comparison of those 2
        Thanks Charlie. My next set was going to be the Power 5, but the reviews I've seen are they stick really well but wear fast.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I ran a set of PR4 on my zed and thought overall they were good: wet/cold grip and and tread life are outstanding. The negative was the front didn't seem to agree with the zed, and it would sometimes slide a bit without trying that hard (nothing crazy, but enough to be noticeable). The front cupped as well. It's still great value, and overall recommended but isn't as sporty as the newest Road 5 or the hypersport tires like the Power series
          ​​

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post

Thanks Charlie. My next set was going to be the Power 5, but the reviews I've seen are they stick really well but wear fast.
            I have about 1500 miles so far. I'm not looking for longevity at this point and the Powers are wearing just fine.
            Road5's are the way to go for longevity and all around riding. I went the Powers for quicker turn in and stick.
            Last edited by CHARLIE; 08-22-2020, 01:59 PM.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
            but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Sounds like Power 5's are the way to go and expect to use them up in one trip. Road 5's I have been using on the ZX14 I have had zero issues with and unquestionably the longest wearing rears I have had on any big Kwak.. Easily double the mileage for a rear! i'e' definitely worth the extra price. I used to get two rears to one front in terms of wear. Now more or less equal life.
              I've heard those traffic boys down in NZ are pretty tough? Cheaper slightly stickier tyres might just not pan out that way??
              Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
              A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

Originally posted by philabeg View Post
                Sounds like Power 5's are the way to go and expect to use them up in one trip. Road 5's I have been using on the ZX14 I have had zero issues with and unquestionably the longest wearing rears I have had on any big Kwak.. Easily double the mileage for a rear! i'e' definitely worth the extra price. I used to get two rears to one front in terms of wear. Now more or less equal life.
                I've heard those traffic boys down in NZ are pretty tough? Cheaper slightly stickier tyres might just not pan out that way??
                I might well go for the Power 5. I've never ridden in the South Island, and I may not do it again on a sportsbike.

We have a national 60 mph limit except for a few miles of freeway. So the cops make a lot of money from unwary tourists, but they aren't around at the moment so we expect to be a target. Two things - they don't stray too far from home, so knowing where the Highway Patrol bases are is a good first step. Also, detectors are legal here and I will figure out how to fit the trusty Bel on the R1.

Last edited by Moise; 08-23-2020, 04:29 AM.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Shit! 60 is brutal as a blanket! UK is a little better at 70 on Mways or divided carriageways.. 60 on regular A roads. Average speed cams becoming more widespread!! I am lucky though in that up here in the North the further I go the less populated it gets so still plenty opportunity to play. Hope the trip comes off for ya!

Comment

With those asinine speed limits and enforcement penalties you might as well be riding a Harley
                    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by philabeg View Post
                      Shit! 60 is brutal as a blanket! UK is a little better at 70 on Mways or divided carriageways.. 60 on regular A roads. Average speed cams becoming more widespread!! I am lucky though in that up here in the North the further I go the less populated it gets so still plenty opportunity to play. Hope the trip comes off for ya!
                      It's not as bad as it sounds. Once you get into the less populated areas of the South Island, you'd be very unlikely to see a Highway Patrol car, and the regular cops tend to leave you alone unless you do something really stupid.

No average speed cameras yet.

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I have found that the Road 5 front "sings" a bit more than other tyres.
                        I had my patience tested. I'm negative.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                          As in.. tunes you wanna hear? Currently awaiting a new set arriving.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                            According to the review on WebBikeWorld, the rear can throw stones as well! Tyres with character. :)

99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Hello twisty rippers. Just get the cheap stuff You can’t out ride it if you do the a race team is is looking to Sign you True story. Peace.

Comment

Working...
                              X