Rip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rip

I was appraised of an unsettling rumour, as yet unverified, that we lost an old friend in the last few. Word is that Shotgun/Jeff Smith has passed? Feeling pretty gut shot about that if true.
    We covered more than a few miles together and many of us shared his hospitality more than once down in Nocona.
    Just a few weeks ago I had traded emails where he seemed to be on the mend from his sickness over the Winter and was heading back to work. Then this!
    He had a dream of taking a couple of months trip to Europe when he retired, revisiting places from Navy days. Sadly not to happen.
    Thoughts and condolences with Ms Lois and his family. So many good memories. Rest well dude!
    Attached Files
    Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
    A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

As ever when puzzling life events occur.. I turn to the poets. This from Robert Burns' epic "Tam O'Shanter"

"And at his elbow, Souter Johnny,
    His ancient, trusty, drouthy crony;
    Tam lo'ed him like a vera brither--
    They had been fou for weeks thegither!"

and also

"But pleasures are like poppies spread,
    You seize the flower, its bloom is shed;
    Or like the snow falls in the river,
    A moment white--then melts for ever;
    Or like the borealis race,
    That flit ere you can point their place;
    Or like the rainbow's lovely form
    Evanishing amid the storm.--
    Nae man can tether time or tide;
    The hour approaches Tam maun ride;"

Comment

I remember when he joined this group. and especially how he fit in so fast, asserting his personality at just the right volume level. I only rode with him once, but I liked him. He struck me as one of those people who could get along fine with lots of different folks, but was no push-over.

Gone too soon.
      How To Cheat on Personality Tests
      1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
      (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
      (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
      (c) I never worry much about anything.
      (d) I don't care for books or music much.
      (e) I love my wife and children.
      (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
      From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

His last login here was in mid May. Hopefully it's just a rumor and not true.
        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Unfortunately, it appears to be true.

There are numerous postings on Lois' Face Book page as well as a couple on Jeff's.

Rest In Peace Brother Jeffro

We had some great times and rides together

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Well damn! One more time would have been nice!

Comment

Well shit. My condolences to his family and close friends. Never met him in person but remember some positive interactions via the site.

Philabeg, the Burns poems were excellent.
              "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Sad to hear of the loss of a fellow ZZR brother. Our paths never crossed but I felt I knew him from his contributions here. To his friends and family - please accept my condolences. May he Rest In Peace.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

RIP Jeff/Shotgun/Jeffro; a good guy gone too soon.
                  My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                  http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Major Bummer, guys. He did it his way, like it or not. He didn't care.
                    Man could he cook in that plow disc. Just blew my mind with that Texas style.
                    RIP. Jeffro. DILLIGAF Shotgun Smith
                    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Another good guy gone, but not forgotten.

Met Jeff at the Copperhead Lodge Rally. He had his ZX14 in pieces to replace the fuel filter. He had ridden over from Texas, taking the long way to do some visiting. Could tell right away that the guy had a zest for life.

RIP Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                        RIP. Jeffro. DILLIGAF Shotgun Smith
                        Amen James

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I contacted Lois and was told that there will be no official services.

Jeff's ashes are to be spread in Shoal Creek which passes through Lawrenceburg, Tennessee (which is about 1.5 hours south of Nashville)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sh...!4d-87.3259695

Comment

Rest In Peace ‘gun. You’ll be missed.
                            tbolt

Comment

I’m just driving back to TX from Wyoming. A few texts from Spedxpert was all the news I had. I hoped it wasn’t true. Sad that it seems to be.

I liked Jeff a lot even though we differed politically. We shared many interests and I respected him. I wish we could have spent more time together.

It’s awful to have lost him. R.I.P. Jeff. Ride it like you stole it.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                              ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Working...
                              X