New Bike for the wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike for the wife

My wife was just gifted a 2006 BMW K1200GT from a good friend who we’ve both ridden thousands of miles with. Our friend recently turned 80 and decided he didn’t have the passion to ride and was giving it up. The bike has 110,000 meticulously maintained miles and has been to MOA rallies all over the US. The good thing is I will inherit my wife’s 2005 ZZR because she doesn’t ride enough to have two bikes and also because the BMW with cruise control and a heated seat will spoiler on ZZR’s for good!!!

Congrats !

A win-win for you both !

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

She's wanted a BMW K1300S since we saw a pair of them on our honeymoon. I'll try not to ride the BMW because I've got too many ZZR'S and theres no resale value on them!! Plus I'm addicted to the ZZR rush!!

Comment

I loved my K 1300 S when I had it.

DSC01700.JPG
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

yes. after riding my K1300s HP on the 2west rally 1645 miles... in 5 days. I will say in my humble view.. its the best balance of sport touring out there today. Was getting 43-50MPG even with a few stretches seldom under 100mph... Its a bit in between a Zx14r and a Connie 14.... of course more to the zx14r side. They do have some weak points I have been told. The clutch baskets are prone to failure due to lack of oil getting to outer plates. There are some aftermarket baskets... with all that said I may consider selling mine this fall. I have not been riding it that much and service and maintenance is complicated and spendy. My 2012 is also getting a little bit older for my liking.. even though she only has 12k miles. I will see how it goes.. its due for valve adjustment spark plugs etc.. and not a cheap or easy service on these.

Comment

What with BMW standing for Bring My Wallet and all, I never wanted one because I was riding over 30,000 miles a year and couldn't afford the maintenance!! Probably riding under 25,000 a year now because I now have a home with 22 acres and an 800 foot long driveway. I can see a Kubota in my future at some point!!

Comment

I didn't have any issues with my K 13.

As for maintenance, I'd say it;s about as bad or good as any other high performance motorcycle.

A valve adjust on a ZX 14 is just as costly as on a K 13.

The oil change is a bit more difficult with the BMW due to the dry sump system. However, once you buy the vac/pump it's a no brainer.

Also changed the rear drive oil with no problem.

had I not had the electrical gremlins caused by a lightning strike I'd still have my K 13 today.

The only knock I have on the bike was the electronic suspension. If I still had it I was going to upgrade the suspension to old school clickers.

I will say that I wasn't putting 30,000 miles a year on it either.

Anyway, I hope your wife enjoys her new (to her) bike

Comment

Congrats on the new acquisition

Comment

My wife only rode it 60 miles home and we had to make an appointment to register the BMW so she had to suck it up and ride the ZZR yesterday!! I told her no more 87 octane, the Beemer needs 93 octane so it'll be separate pumps going forward!!

Comment

BIG O I do agree with you the ZX14r is not simple to run major service on either. My concern with the k1300s is over all reliability. There are a few horror stories with these bikes. I saw someone have a clutch plate and basket come apart. and almost grenaded the motor. THere are some aftermarket parts to prevent this.. There is a known issue with the oil not getting properly to the outer clutch plates. I have a lot of experience with BMW cars and the bikes do look very similar in terms of a lot of electronics.. and plastic parts that make me nervous in terms of keeping this bike much past 15k miles. Also given its a HP edition I suspect I could sell it for not that far off of what I paid 2 years ago. I love the bike.. I just think a 14r is better bike to own for a long time.

I really wish there were more options beyond the H2 SX that are fast sport touring bikes. It seems this segment has died out for a few reasons. I also am finding that now I am full time in Tahoe I have less people to ride with and most of the time I ride my H2... and rarely ride 2 up...I am thinking about adding a full on light Super sports Liter bike to the stable next spring. A Pagegnale V4 or even an S1000RR, or zx-10... Champagne Problems....

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                    I didn't have any issues with my K 13.

As for maintenance, I'd say it;s about as bad or good as any other high performance motorcycle.

A valve adjust on a ZX 14 is just as costly as on a K 13.

The oil change is a bit more difficult with the BMW due to the dry sump system. However, once you buy the vac/pump it's a no brainer.

Also changed the rear drive oil with no problem.

had I not had the electrical gremlins caused by a lightning strike I'd still have my K 13 today.

The only knock I have on the bike was the electronic suspension. If I still had it I was going to upgrade the suspension to old school clickers.

I will say that I wasn't putting 30,000 miles a year on it either.

Anyway, I hope your wife enjoys her new (to her) bike

Comment

Working...
                    X