Internal scarring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bctrout View Post

It's amazing to me how intimidated I was before I started doing this and how easy its now seems as I put it back together.
    Thanks to everyone for putting up with my slow pace and many questions..
    I would have been frozen with intimidation until desperate if not for the support and input from everyone on this forum.
    Amen Gordon!

Thank you ZZR Bikes members

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

F0DECCAE-3190-4DFE-A4CF-24B579281B23.jpeg Permatex ultra grey - shop said it was equivalent of spec. Had to trust them - I know risky.
      sigpic

Comment

Couldn’t put the oil cooler on with it full of tar & sand. The centre 1/3 was fully plugged. Figured it was worth the time to clean it vs the cost & time to buy a new one. 3hrs
        sigpic

Comment

image_15227.jpg 2D644709-F044-4261-A292-834F2E9E62BE.jpeg B40BE9E6-1517-4CE6-A230-D635836692F0.jpeg I
          sigpic

Comment

Just keep an eye out for where the RH fairing rubs on the bottom corner of the coolant radiator.
            Mine sprung a leak there some time ago. I now have a bit of foam there.
            Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by bctrout View Post
              F0DECCAE-3190-4DFE-A4CF-24B579281B23.jpeg Permatex ultra grey - shop said it was equivalent of spec. Had to trust them - I know risky.
              I thought the OE stuff was made by ThreeBond? I'm sure what you've used will be fine.

The one thing I don't like about Permatex is how expensive it becomes Down Under. What is $5 on Amazon somehow becomes $20 at Supercheap.
              Last edited by Moise; 09-03-2020, 02:35 PM.
              "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
              99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Way to go Gordon!
                My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
                http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Congrats Gordon! Our machines are complex and intricately detailed engineering masterpieces, and it is easy to get overwhelmed by the collage of small parts and interdependent components. You summoned the courage to get past the intimidating array of gizmos and did the job done. Good on you for taking it on and kicking ass!
                  "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

How do smart people order parts? Frustrated with the stealership, 3 weeks now waiting for coolant hoses. They don't answer the phone so I get to drive with slow Victoria traffic (you have no idea - its like driving in a gated retirement complex) to press them and find out the parts just arrived in Toronto (only 2,500 miles away) - dam things will have circumnavigated the globe. Supposed to next week for sure. Kind of at a stand still until I get them. So detail cleaning the radiator today and I got some galvanized screen to make & place an additional degree of stone chip protection for both coolers. Its all that off-roading. I got to get off this island & out for a ride so bad. Gonna be tight to make the mid Sept Cucumber run on the Duffy.

ZZR Coolant Hoses.png
                    sigpic

Comment

Rad outlet port was slightly squashed with a bit of flatness - maybe 2mm out of round (connection to rad solid - no issue) placed a tapered socket in to confirm and then wrapped with card and gently vice gripped it into round. Took 10 seconds to ensure that the eventual hose connection will be sound. (sorry - no pre fix photo of out of round photo - but could easily squash it again)

image_15231.jpg image_15232.jpg
                      Last edited by bctrout; 09-04-2020, 12:48 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Fabricated some double layer 45 degree offset secondary galvanized grit screens for both coolers

IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

sigpic

Comment

Even thought the ZZR1200 is over-engineered, cooling wise, it may run hotter with the extra screen.
                          Just my observation.
                          Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                            Even thought the ZZR1200 is over-engineered, cooling wise, it may run hotter with the extra screen.
                            Just my observation.
                            I thought about that. Now cleaned and clear of obstructions , the oil cooler can't be worse than before when it was over 30% plugged. As for the radiator we typically run so cold on the coast and at altitude the thermostat rarely opens April, May, June, Sept & Oct & at times have stuffed in cardboard when running near freezing. I rarely sit in heat of traffic. I'll be keeping an eye on the temp gauge and listening for the fans to see if they kick in ad run longer than usual. The road grit hear is a periodic problem akin to sand blasting.

Is the lower central mounting bracket behind the oil cooler supposed to be offset or twisted? It looks bent to me. Possibly from my end of driveway slide two years ago.

update edit, manual & parts images look straight. I have dropped it three times, two lesser & one low speed slow spin out on the right so the bend makes sense. Now straightened
                            oil rad bracket 01.jpg oil rad bracket 02.jpg
                            Last edited by bctrout; 09-06-2020, 12:04 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Parts fiche does not show anything bent.

I forgot that where you are things are a lot cooler than where I am, so your radiators will obviously run at a lower temp than mine.

Good luck with the continuing project. When it is finished, you will feel that you have accomplished a lot. I did, I had the same trepidations as you when I started.

Comment

Gordo, you will remember my perforated rad on the Oregon coast a couple years ago. I added a stone guard when I got the rad fixed. Bret (from Tacoma then) advised me that when he added the same unit to his ZX14R that his operating temp went up by ten degrees. He was thinking about switching to a ZX10 front fender, which seems to improve cooling according to web lore (I guess it bolts right on). I have not experienced a noticeable increase in operating temp on my 14R since adding the guard though. With your cooler temps in the great cold soggy north (as opposed to the great white north where Dave and Gareth live (along with Geddy and Alex) you will probably be fine, I expect. Until you come ride Idaho and Montana with us in July.
                                "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Working...
                                X