No announcement yet.

Internal scarring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inventory check of the parts, I found the side gasket was near beat to crap with numerous dents that looked like a terrier had chewed on it. I had ordered 2 in case I screwed up but the second, though less damaged was not as good as the original I’d pulled off. I hate accepting so so when I pay for new, so I returned them to the dealer that placed another pair on order.

Oddly not bothered as this year’s fishing and camping was some of the best & last weekend away with Mrs. Trout was a blast swimming in the pot holes of Oyster River, tasting at breweries & wineries, and hitting the up island farmers markets.

I was behind in the strip down clean up anyways. All pretty trivial considering what disruptions are going on. Hanging in the garage without any other pressing matters is a great way to relax.
    sigpic

Comment

Before draining the rad I noticed the front centre hose behind the pipes had a bulge. Then squeeze checked the other hoses & another was soft along the back. Other two had deposits on an end so decided to order a set since I’m in there.
      sigpic

Comment

F3C19EEA-518C-4A49-87C8-A36FFC1CE11D.jpeg
        Attached Files

Comment

Well I managed to get photos up ... and here’s the text to go with them .... meant to pass along to you, was on the Island for work a
          week back , and Island BMW has a sweet Zx14r .... I am kind like you putting a few nuts and bolts on my 02 .... but for $6990 cdn... with 20000 Kms ... it’s tough not to upgrade to the emerald green machine !
          i took a pic of sale info on rear plate

Comment

CD28802C-AA83-42BE-8720-E31840692D13.jpeg 8C5094FE-664E-460A-911B-002994409D3F.jpeg 443D53D4-6F96-4BFE-B888-959D500D340E.jpeg F540097D-8281-4B25-A4E6-0810ACFBAAB4.jpeg 15EBA76C-6101-4AC1-AF2E-591DF0632276.jpeg With a few delays I’ve finally got everything off required to remove the oil pan. Not much left on the frame short of the front & rear suspension & engine.
            sigpic

Comment

Well since you are tempting Gordon I will pile on... What year is that green machine? About $5k US for 14R with under 13,000 miles is insane! BTW if one of you buys it and wants to go with stock exhaust, I can fix you up! But so can Dave...

G
              "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

I got Mrs.Trout parking outside the garage for now so there is potentially room for a 2nd ride if I can convince to keep her V6 GTI out in the elements - like that's gonna continue. She's already putting the pressure on to get back in under cover.
                sigpic

Comment

Mrs.Trout snorted last night when I casually tossed the idea of a 2nd ride 14R taking up space in the garage.

Spun by Island BMW this morning on my way to work.

One of the employees mentioned the green 14R sold a week or so ago, thought to be an 08 model year.
                  sigpic

Comment

Offer $7,900 and I'll do the leg work and deliver it to you free of charge:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...x-r/1516467499

Comment

Back at tearing it apart after a fabulous week vacation in Nakusp, Many lakes canoeing, fishing, swimming, storm watching, rock hounding, & a nice fresh trout dinner.

Saved the pan removal for my return which came off last night.

Started the clean up detailing and noticed this little gem in the bottom of the pan.

Its a metal tube measuring 12mm in length & 6mm outside diameter.

Any and all assistance as to what it is, and more importantly were does it belong or set back into during the re-assembly would be most appreciated.

Oil Pan 01.jpg Oil Pan 02.jpg mistery part 01.jpg mistery part 02.jpg

sigpic

Comment

That looks like what we call a knock-pin, for aligning parts in assembly. If so, it would have had a bolt going through it and lived at the intersection of the clutch cover or the pan and the engine case, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                          That looks like what we call a knock-pin, for aligning parts in assembly. If so, it would have had a bolt going through it and lived at the intersection of the clutch cover or the pan and the engine case, I suspect.
                          I think the inside diameter is too small for a bolt to go through? Haven’t measured inside diameter but with OD being only 6mm (0.236 inch) or less than 1/4” it would require a very fine thin bolt to be able to pass through.

I detailed the pan last night and will clean off the leftover gasket silicon from the base of the engine tonight. Then I will see if I can find where the puzzle piece goes. Could it have been dropped through the engine by a shop mechanic when last I had the valves shimmed & carbs synchronized? Just wondering as it has me concerned & I don’t want to reassemble everything & later have to go back in to place this thing where it belongs.
                          sigpic

Comment

I am hoping somebody who has actually had one these things apart can chime in with an observation!

Comment

It could be one of the dowels that go in the head for the PAIR system. Look under the valve cover. There should be one that each Valve cover "doenut" O ring Gasket goes around for each spark tube. KWIK makes a kit to replace these with solid ones to block off any oil going into the exhaust ports. This is a known issue if you have disconnected the PAIR (Air injection system) https://www.kwick.biz/product/noflo-...-off-plug-set/

Comment

Working...
                              X