Internal scarring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal scarring

697B6C64-71C1-45B0-A695-BAD67236BB41.jpeg 8DE4D59F-3385-4D0B-92DE-2A81C855E3AA.jpeg What causes this internal engine scarring visible from the oil filler port?
    sigpic

Search "outer clutch plate scoring"
    Should find some info on this. Fairly
    common issue, easily resolved.
    https://zzrbikes.com/forum/bikes/zzr...scoring/page14
    Last edited by CHARLIE; 07-12-2020, 04:11 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Thank you Charlie. I thought I had seen a thread along those lines.

Now to delve in & read up. Arr
      sigpic

Comment

Plate.JPG
        I've been very lucky with mine. Unmodified, and very minor "scarring".

More purchase info
        here.
        Last edited by BillDownUnder; 07-12-2020, 06:58 PM.
        Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

My markings were minimal at best too, but I just did it for a "what if?"
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
            Search "outer clutch plate scoring"
            Should find some info on this. Fairly
            common issue, easily resolved.
            I posted my exploration in continuance on the
            old sticky thread

Should I service the clutch while I’m in here? If so any recommended past threads I should read up on.
            sigpic

Comment

I installed a fix for my ZRX (similar setup) some years ago. No problems since.

ZRX-Clutch.jpg

Kwick suggests replacing it with his latest tensioner fix.
              However, I like the looks of the Compton part a lot better.
              Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Comment

I started noticing that on my 2002 at about 60k miles. At 112k miles it was still running like a champ, but I was easy on the bike, and I figure I was lucky.

So-What's 2003 grenaded on him on a road trip when the tensioner let go at 109k miles and shattered his engine cases, totaling the bike.

On my 2003 I had DWC pre-emptively install a fix of his devising at 23k while he was re-vamping the whole bike. Runs great with no scoring @ 67k miles so far.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

I did the tube fix on mine at about 30,000 miles when I first noticed the marks on the clutch basket. A simple, cheap mod and it did the job.

Id leave the clutch alone if it's OK.
                  "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                  99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Clutch plates look fine but haven’t measured thickness yet. Works fine so leaving that alone. Hard not to go down the rabbit hole.

Now just waiting for parts. Wish I hadn’t been so busy during the winter which is when I should had done my annual maintenance. It is however much nicer to work in the garage in the summer with the afternoon sun streaming in. Quite peaceful looking things over, turning the odd wrench and cleaning things. I wonder how many ways there are to introduce performance additives into the air intake system. All those little port nozzle tips just in past the intake openings and pop outs in the breather box.
                    sigpic

Comment

I’m imagining what’s in my engine after seeing previously posted phots of tensioner debris caught in the internal screens of the oil pan as noted in https://zzrbikes.com/forum/bikes/zzr...scoring/page14
                      Looks like quite to endeavour to pull everything else required in order to eventually pull the oil pan. Does anyone know of a previous thread that goes over the process thoroughly. Would be nice to follow the leader on this one. Wondering if I have enough room to store and keep track of all the parts and connectors.
                      tempted to let the screen and filter just do their job and tear into it over the winter instead.

it will be another week or two before the new tensioner part arrives.

Thoughts?
                      sigpic

Comment

If your draining oil via both drain plugs.. I really doubt there's any significant residual metal in the bottom of the crankcase and you can access a good bit of that from the clutch cover

Comment

I did an engine overhaul around 3 years ago (at around 110,000km), including sump removal.
                          Note that my outer clutch plate is virtually unmarked.

Checking the 2 screens at the bottom I found one of them with fine debris, including gasket material.

Sump.JPG

Similar with the other screen.

Screen2.JPG

Screen1.JPG

If you're contemplating removing the sump, be careful how you put everything back together.

SumpOff.jpg

Comment

Great pics and info Bill.

Thanks
                            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                              My markings were minimal at best too, but I just did it for a "what if?"
                              What fix did you install, Charlie?

Comment

Working...
                              X