Another Battery Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Battery Story

Yesterday, my 2 year old bike left me stranded. 2018 R6. Riding home from work. 95 degrees. Stop and go traffice, lots of traffic lights. Bike is hot as hell. Fans cycling on and off. Stopped for gas and a cold drink. Remount, no love. Spins over slowly at first and then stops trying. Let it sit 10 min and same thing. Get it home and battery is reading 12.5 V. Hit the starter and the voltage drops to 4V. Charged the battery overnight and it reads 13V and starts the bike just fine. Replaced the battery anyway. I think the original just caved in to the heat. Not wiling to risk being stranded again. New battery in the bike now. Voltage reads 12.5V at rest and 14+ when running. Should be good to go. $134 for an AGM battery, mutha fuca. Could have gone with a Lithion for a few dollars more, but I just don't have faith in 'em. Too finicky, and I am not a finicky guy.

Anyway, I know heat destroys batteries. The stock battery in my bike was tiny, and I mean teeny tiny. Amazing that it works at all.

I always carry one of these with me:
    Click.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

I had that happen to me on 19th Avenue in SF, on my way home to Humboldt county 7 years ago with the 02 Zed. Luckily a guy at a service station jumped the bike after it cooled down and I was able to make it to work the next day.
      Last edited by PinkieWerewolf; 06-30-2020, 07:22 PM.
      "16, I found my dream machine-turned the key and every light turned green-like Steve McQueen I made that motor scream and it was LOUD!"

Comment

Need to vent in some ram air. Hit doze nuts while you're building it.
        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
          Need to vent in some ram air. Hit doze nuts while you're building it.
          Totally agree, this bike is an absolute furnace. The battery sits in the normal location, under the seat. I thought about putting some heat shielding around it, don't know if that would hep. But cooling my shins off would be great. I remember the early versions of the 14Connie had venting issues that dumped hot air onto the riders lower legs, this bike does the same. Anything lighter than heavy jeans and you end up with damaged skin. Not much room on the inside to redirect the air. Just gonna have to be one of those things I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post

Totally agree, this bike is an absolute furnace. The battery sits in the normal location, under the seat. I thought about putting some heat shielding around it, don't know if that would hep. But cooling my shins off would be great. I remember the early versions of the 14Connie had venting issues that dumped hot air onto the riders lower legs, this bike does the same. Anything lighter than heavy jeans and you end up with damaged skin. Not much room on the inside to redirect the air. Just gonna have to be one of those things I guess.
            For some reason mere mortals can't understand, Yamaha radiator fans don't switch on until somewhere north of 212°, which as you describe is absolutely no fun at all when stuck in traffic on a hot day.

You can get the ECU flashed to drop the temperature on the newer models. On my '99 all I had to do was change the radiator thermoswitch to one that switched on at 195°, which is much more tolerable. A very simple mod when you have Old Tech. :)

And the battery is twice the size of the one in the new R1's.
            Last edited by Moise; 07-02-2020, 03:22 AM.
            "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
            99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
            X