Starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting issues

We have a 91 zzr 600 and for a while now she's having problems starting. Engine cranks fine just won't fire into life unless bumped. After bumping she's really bogged down, only ticking over at 1000rpm despite being on choke. Then after 4 mins she's fine, like nothing wrong. We've changed fuel filter, petcock seals, coils, ht, spark plugs, battery is fairly new and has a good charge. Air filter has been replaced, even changed starter sprag. Diaphragms have been looked at and look to be fine. Started off intermittent but now it's every time she's been stood a few hours. A friend has had a listen and doesn't think it's the carbs. No flat spots in normal running. It's driving us mad. Has anyone got any pearls of wisdom at all please?

I would have the battery load tested, despite what you wrote about it. I'd also have a look at the battery cables, especially their terminals - shiny bright and tight at both ends of both cables.

I've seen bikes with batteries that could turn the starter motor but lacked the voltage to simultaneously please the electronic ignition. Bump starting reduces the demand from the starter motor, freeing up some juice for the ignition.

Anyway, that would be my next step, based on what you wrote. Good luck!
    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
    (c) I never worry much about anything.
    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
    (e) I love my wife and children.
    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Thanks for that ????

Comment

Not sure where the question marks came from. ????

Comment

Is the choke actually working? Almost sounds like it is not being applied - cable broken or not adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
            Is the choke actually working? Almost sounds like it is not being applied - cable broken or not adjusted.
            +1
            That thought was lingering in my mind, too. I couldn't quite make it all fit in a mental picture, but still....
            1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

Comment

+1 for checking the choke cable.... Start with the free and easy things.
              Never owned a 600... not sure whether you can see the linkage move at the carbs when you move the cable... Hopefully it's easy to see without having to remove stuff.
              “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Yes it is working. Is almost like fuel starvation after bump starting her first thing in the morning. She refuses to respond to the throttle for 4 minutes each time, clears her throat kinda thing and goes on to run perfectly fine! Usually starts on the button with choke later on when hubby coming back from work. It's a very strange one.

Comment

The bump-start clue keeps whispering: Electrical

Comment

I am no guru but seems to me the key clue is normal running after 3-4 minutes? Pilot jets clogged? Ceases to be a problem once warmed up?
                    Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
                    A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

Clogged pilots would cause poor start/idle at any temperature.

Comment

See? There ya go! Thank God I don't have carbs!
                        Young riders pick a destination and go. Old riders pick a direction and go.
                        A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city.

Comment

I'll go with the float needle valves are leaking and the bowls are overfilling. To much fuel.

Overnight / long periods they get overfilled. Requiring extra effort to get started and then running to clear it up and
                          then runs fine.

Shorter time period after running the bowls are not overfilled and starts/runs normal.

You could test by shutting off petcock a ways before you get home and run the fuel out.

In morning turn fuel on, let fill bowls and try to start.

Regardless I'd pull the carb rack, tear down, clean, inspect and rebuild.

That;s where I'd start, especially if it hasn't been done in 30 years.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Working...
                          X