Electrical short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
    Well, after all of that work,time and money you've spent hopefully you fixed it.

Guess we'll tune in tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for you
    Thanks Mike. I'll report in soon as I get back from my favorite area around here.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Zed is back among the streets. Rode about 200 miles. Mix of road types just to see if everything was tight and where it needs to be.
      This was by far the most extensive project with this bike I have had in the 18 years I have owned it. This to be expected being I have
      really not had any trouble out of it. Now for tires, that one I can handle, they don't require any wiring. At least not directly.

Comment

Bravo for getting it sorted. I hate electrical gremlins. You da man!!

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

That's great Charlie!

You figure out what was SPECIFICALLY wrong with it?

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Specifically? Nope. Could have been one of the sections of wire I repaired (cut out, soldered a patch in and heatshrunk then taped)
            A couple of switches played a part as well. But, it's 18 years old and needed some stuff I probably should have done long ago.
            It got done this time around. Like my signature states..........
            I just love riding this thing still, but hate working on it. I guess I get my fill of working on stuff for a living, then get home, not a fan.
            Last edited by CHARLIE; 05-17-2020, 06:03 PM.

Comment

ThumbsUp.jpg
              I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Good one to hang in there and for all those who joined in with guidance. These pigs can fly
                sigpic

Comment

I'm hoping for he best, but I have to ask: Of the wires you replaced, did some of them have insulation worn bare? If not, then there may still be a gremlin lurking - bad wires that were touching but aren't now. I say that because I can't come up with any explanation for the solid-on turn signal with key off, other than bare wires touching.

Also, did any of the replaced wires show signs of heat damage?

Good luck!
                  How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                  1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                  (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                  (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                  (c) I never worry much about anything.
                  (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                  (e) I love my wife and children.
                  (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                  From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Yes, huge credit to you sir, for sticking with bike and getting her back running. If a project of mine takes more than 2 days it will probably get moved on to someone else to complete.

When I read stories of you guys keeping a ZZR12 going, I get all misty and wish I still had my 03.

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post
                      I'm hoping for he best, but I have to ask: Of the wires you replaced, did some of them have insulation worn bare? If not, then there may still be a gremlin lurking - bad wires that were touching but aren't now. I say that because I can't come up with any explanation for the solid-on turn signal with key off, other than bare wires touching.

Also, did any of the replaced wires show signs of heat damage?

Good luck!
                      Thanks again, Reid. I did find some damaged wires in the switch cluster coming from the left side (where the turn signal switch is)
                      Not any big spots. I had replaced this cluster years ago when the turn signal intermittent shit started, but didn't go far enough down the
                      loom as I did this time. If I would have done that then........well. The switches I cleaned or replaced I believe was money/time well spent
                      being the age of this bike. As far as keeping it running, hell, I have to. She's been in my life for 18 years and is such enjoyment. Plus
                      I'm by myself a lot these days so it plays a big part of my world. I ain't getting any younger either, ha. I keep my machines quite a while
                      too. Truck is almost 25 yrs old. I do drive an RC Lexus as a daily driver but the ole ZED is still my therapy. She doesn't have a lot of miles
                      but that's just me. Lots of short runs. Still, love this bike.

Comment

Working...
                      X