Electrical short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical short

Well today was odd. Went on a ride, came home. About an hour later, well after bike had cooled off, I went into garage
    and the fans were running, the right turn signal was on solid. There also was a weird buzzing/whistling noise coming
    from the Zed. Then smoke, electrical type coming from the right side. Not a whole lot but enough to freak me out .
    I quickly disconnected the battery (I was fast as shit for an ole fart). Can't believe how fast I got that seat off , and
    got the tray out and disconnected that thing. I don't have a clue what this might be but I have a project to do now
    I wasn't expecting. I will post what I find. Just when riding season is coming up too. This did this with key off, and long after
    ride was completed, just damn odd.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

I looked all around the area, with bore-scope camera where the smoke came from yesterday (not much when it did it, but definitely was electrical smell)
    and can't find anything burnt. I checked the fuse/relay area under seat, nothing obvious. The smoke came from the right side from
    where the upper cover is, between the tank and body panel, sort of where that slot is in the cover panel. I guess I'll just hook up
    12v power supply to battery leads and see what happens. That way I can shut it down without doing damage to battery or anything else.
    Really puzzled as to why right turn signal went solid, only the right one, and the fans were running with bike being off for over an hour.
    Main switch off, not even a key in it.Then the electrical smoke. I'll post up again when and if I find anything.

Comment

I hate chasing electrical gremlins.

Good luck getting it sorted.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Heat baffle. I know I know that wouldn't make the fans run or the signal light up....just upping my post count on this dreary Saturday.

Comment

Just now. Battery is still disconnected. When I hook up 12v power to the battery leads, the fans come on.
          I let them run for several minutes and they work fine. No electrical smoke. When I turn key during this
          the fans slow down. I'm checking fan relay next but thinking it's ok because fans work but it's like they're
          stuck on. Thinking next the thermostat switch for the fans is shit. Back in garage, will report later.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
            I hate chasing electrical gremlins.

Good luck getting it sorted.
            Me too. Crossing fingers for an easy fix.

Comment

I'm done for today. Basically the fans won't turn off. If I hook the battery back up, or hook up
              a power supply to the battery leads, they just run. If I turn on the switch, the fans slow down
              and the oil light comes on just like your about to crank it over. I haven't tried cranking it yet
              but here's where I am so far. So far, this thing is kicking my ass. I hate to just start replacing
              shit before I see if someone else ran across this type of thing before. It's got me by the short hairs.
              Fan thermostat switch, bad ignition switch? I'm stumped.

Comment

Check where the wiring passes by the fork leg / comes out of the frame. I have in the past noticed wear there, and bare wires.
                Last edited by BillDownUnder; 04-18-2020, 06:37 PM.
                I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Unplug the temperature switch for the fans to see if they shut off. This switch should be on the left side of the radiator. The fans are wire hot all the time and will run if the switch is closed. If the fans continue to run with the switch disconnected, look for a switch wire shorted to the frame or ground.

Do not know why the turn signal was on . . .
                  1999 Kawasaki ZX11D7 Ninja
                  1993 Kawasaki ZX11D1 "Adventure"
                  1985 Yamaha Venture Royale with Vmax cams
                  1992 Yamaha Venture Royale

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                    ...I hate to just start replacing
                    shit....
                    Definitely do not go that route. This does NOT read like a bad component, it reads like wires worn bare and touching each other. The smoke may have been wire insulation burning, or it may have been a component burning. If the latter, I'd wager that the component was a victim, not a cause, of the trouble. So, until you find and fix the bad wiring, if you replace a damaged component it may just get damaged again.

Tracing wiring faults is no fun. If it isn't your thing, you might call around to some shops (bike and car). Usually there is a guy in town who everyone knows is 'the guy' to go to for wire fault tracing.

Good luck!
                    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                    (c) I never worry much about anything.
                    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                    (e) I love my wife and children.
                    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Does it make sense to pull the fuses to find which circuit the fans are being driven by ? Then understand if it is the PROPER fuse that should be driving the fans ? From this point I get lost .... I suspect first step is to remove the cowlings and start tracing wires .... over to the pro's
                      Good luck....

Comment

Fans still run even if temp switch is unplugged. I've had the panels and bodywork all off since day one.
                        I'll pull the tank and airbox off later in the week and start looking for the short.
                        I'll report back with my findings.

Comment

Damn Charlie.

Definitely a pain in the ass.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted though.
                          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Ok. I believe I have a smoked fan relay. I have ordered one and I’m gonna check more wiring tonight to make sure it’s all ok. I’ll report back as soon as I replace relay and recheck everything.

Comment

It can't all be OK, because a bad fan relay does not explain the turn signal light. Do not install the new relay until you find and fix the root cause.
                              How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                              (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                              (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                              (c) I never worry much about anything.
                              (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                              (e) I love my wife and children.
                              (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                              From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Working...
                              X