X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do during covid19 shutdown

Things to due during covid19 shutdown.

Work on your motorcycle.

My bike has been parked since the last ride of last season. It was acting up, stuttering and hesitating at speed. A few members were with me when my problems started and tried to help me troubleshoot. Unfortunately first thought solutions didn’t work.

After researching for far too many hours my first best guess is I have a plugged fuel filter. So now I have time on my hands and my new fuel pump / fuel filter and rebuild kit are sitting on my bench it’s time to tear the motorcycle apart. Here I am this morning after disassembly. Next step is to take the fuel pump out of the tank and do the rebuild. Wish me luck. I hope I do it correctly and here’s hoping it solves my problems.

Unfortunately I won’t know if it’s solved everything until I get a chance to truly road test the bike. Initial success means that it will start and idle and run properly in the garage. Road testing comes later when the snow goes away.

49B6C0DF-AFF0-4344-BDF6-E20372D80550.jpeg
    Last edited by NotDeadYet; 03-25-2020, 06:05 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Those screens clog. It's now part of the maintenance on the H2. They call out a sock to replace at a certain mileage.
    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Nasty looking fuel filter

B5F9445D-9CFF-4C76-A967-E35C08F03D34.jpeg 961975D0-7A83-43BC-B92E-4C8BD1F515AE.jpeg DC4FC7C0-5210-4123-A670-8D1A1BEC129B.jpeg 0168874F-36D2-4ECC-A3CD-18ACC567BEAC.jpeg Finished installing the fuel pump and filter. Everything went well. The bike starts, idles and runs fine in the garage, but it always did. The real test will come when I can road test it, that will have to wait till the snow melts. Here’s my old filter beside one of the new ones Schnitz racing sent me as part of the package. The entire package from Schnitz was $79 US including fuel pump, filters and all of the components needed to do a complete rebuild. Kawasaki wanted $475 Cdn for the complete assembly - ouch! Here’s one of the clean filters beside my dirty filter. It looks pretty grungy. While I have the fairings off I decided I should clean the K&N air filter. It was pretty dirty as well. Hopefully this will solve my problems.

new fuel filter / old fuel filter

5C0D50C8-6519-44E4-849C-953297E60CED.jpeg
      Fuel pump disassembly
      73D6027B-4C59-42F3-9627-C1E51B4DE9BC.jpeg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NotDeadYet; 03-25-2020, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Glad you got that sorted out. I didn't get much "winter" maintenance done this year.
        Shit, it's turning spring around here, guess I'll ride, then do some needed stuff.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Changed the oil for the first time on my new to me 14 R.

Talk about simple!

I must say that when Kaw redesigned the current ZX 14's they got it right when it comes to oil changes.

The drain bolt and filter are accessible right from the bottom of the bike.

No plastic in the way or anything!!!

Takes longer to warm the oil up and let it cool down than it does to change it!

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Hope that fixed it Dave.

Can't beat it for less than $100.

Last edited by BIG O; 03-26-2020, 01:33 AM.
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

If travel restrictions don't stop me, in May I'll be buying a broken KTM RC390 and transplanting a new set of engine cases onto it to make a solid running bike. It will be my second such resurrection.

Attached are pictures of the donor cases as well as the last bike I built and sold. This sort of project carries risks, but is very satisfying when it turns out as planned.

Donor engine cases.jpg

IMG_20191027_165735.jpg
              How To Cheat on Personality Tests
              1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
              (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
              (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
              (c) I never worry much about anything.
              (d) I don't care for books or music much.
              (e) I love my wife and children.
              (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
              From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

I've also been working on our property. For years I've been trimming trees to make a walkable forest. I've chipped many tons of cedar, which I'm now using to make soft walking paths throughout.

It is hard, dirty work, and good, productive exercise.

I've so far completed a few hundred yards of such paths, with another hundred yards or so in progress, and many yet to come. Eventually I envision placing outdoor artworks throughout.

Attached is a picture of one section that is nearing completion.

20200224_133118.jpg
                How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                (c) I never worry much about anything.
                (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                (e) I love my wife and children.
                (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

That's one hell of a yard project Reid!

I'm sure it will feel very rewarding when you get finished.

Comment

Yes I'm always amazed that these motorcycles and many cars today only use these small socks screen type filters on the fuel pump and not a proper filter. Did you consider upgrading to an E85 pumps even on a 14r you're gonna gain some power if you flash an E85 tune to ECU. The AEM pump I put in my H2 goes in with a few mods. See pics this flows 355lph vs I think 255lph stock

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by jmenon; 03-26-2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Changed oil in my car and took the winter tires off both cars today. I guess I will change oil in the other car tomorrow. My to do list is getting shorter and shorter.

Comment

Went out and put a couple hundred miles on the ole 02 Zed. Damn pollen is still thick around here
                        but who cares. Ride was great, first time out in weeks, so it was pretty badass.
                        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Just went and bought $1000 worth of insulation, panels and paint, going to head up to our little rancho in Republic for a few days and continue my work shop project. I will send a few pics so those of you that who are losing your sanity due to boredom will have something to distract you for a few minutes...
                          "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
                            Went out and put a couple hundred miles on the ole 02 Zed. Damn pollen is still thick around here
                            but who cares. Ride was great, first time out in weeks, so it was pretty badass.
                            Pollen? I have not yet seen a green leaf bud on a tree up here in Spokane! The only good thing about now is that when I rode last weekend I got almost zero bug splats... in a few weeks it will be very different though...
                            "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post
                              I've also been working on our property. For years I've been trimming trees to make a walkable forest. I've chipped many tons of cedar, which I'm now using to make soft walking paths throughout.

It is hard, dirty work, and good, productive exercise.

I've so far completed a few hundred yards of such paths, with another hundred yards or so in progress, and many yet to come. Eventually I envision placing outdoor artworks throughout.

Attached is a picture of one section that is nearing completion.

20200224_133118.jpg

Wow. You have a big yard! Post some pics once you're done completing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X