Best Lithium Battery for ZX14R?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Lithium Battery for ZX14R?

Bike is 5 years old this month and the days of my factory battery's life are counting down. I plan to buy a weight-saving lithium battery to replace it. In the past I have used Shorai products, no complaints. Anyone got a better idea?

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Just a couple of things to keep in mind if you go to lithium:
    1: I believe you need a special charger or tender that’s lithium compatible.
    2: I don’t believe you can jump start the bike from a 12 volt system.

Thats all I got.
    Last edited by NotDeadYet; 03-19-2020, 01:32 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
      Just a couple of things to keep in mind if you go to lithium:
      1: I believe you need a PE I fix charger or tender that’s lithium compatible.
      2: I don’t believe you can jump start the bike from a 12 volt system.

Thats all I got.
      Just did some comparing and read some reviews. The Shoria had a bunch of crappy reviews, but the Antigravity had rave reviews and some cool features to deal with the issues you noted.
      Sure not cheap- $225 for the ZX14R model, vs. $206 for the Shorai. Both are alot more $ than stock lead-acid types, but still about the cheapest way to take weight off I can think of.

G
      Last edited by gregness; 03-19-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
        still about the cheapest way to take weight off I can think of. G
        Or you could just cut back on some of Honey’s great cooking!

Comment

Just did some research on them. Antigravity looks like a winner.

Could someone please pass the biscuits.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post

Or you could just cut back on some of Honey’s great cooking!
            So fu*king true!

Comment

No, no way to cut back on her amazing cooking....her cooking is an flat out addicting.

On the battery topic, I have been kicking the idea around of a different option since getting her back running. Not nearly as robust as it was 2 years ago, so it is time for me to pay attention to the options. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Comment

Originally posted by bretb View Post
                No, no way to cut back on her amazing cooking....her cooking is an flat out addicting.
                I can vouch for that too. Amazing and Addicting are understatements!!

Comment

I tried one and it didn't work well for my needs. But that's me.
                  KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                    I tried one and it didn't work well for my needs. But that's me.
                    JM- Shorai or Anti-gravity brand?

Comment

As long as you are not in cold ambient temps, as long as your VR doesn't falter and cause thermal runaway,
                      you have correct trickle/charger and don't mind spending an extra $100+ and charger either are
                      good batteries and you should be good to go.

Catching on fire doesn't really happen that often and saving 8-10lbs is quite a bit.

shorai_melted_03.jpg

ag2.jpg

ag1.jpg
                      Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Can't speak for the Li Ion batteries with the 14 but I had a Shorai in my Speed Triple and it wouldn't start the bike if it was 45 degrees outside

I literally would have to take a hair dryer to it and heat it up before it would work
                        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
                          As long as you are not in cold ambient temps, as long as your VR doesn't falter and cause thermal runaway,
                          you have correct trickle/charger and don't mind spending an extra $100+ and charger either are
                          good batteries and you should be good to go.

Catching on fire doesn't really happen that often and saving 8-10lbs is quite a bit.

shorai_melted_03.jpg

ag2.jpg

ag1.jpg
                          Talk about pegging the sarcasm meter!

I use li-ons in lots of applications, but can't quite motivate myself to put one in a motorcycle. The risk/reward ratio just doesn't seem to justify the cost imho.
                          Zelda - 93 ZX6E - daily rider
                          Connie - 08 ZG14 - currently parked

Comment

Geez Piken, you should be in sales!

Comment

For the last three years (going on four) three of my bikes have run lithium batteries, including the ZX14. I've got two Battery Tender (Deltran) batteries and one Shorai. One of the Deltrans is in the ZX14. Two of the batteries are hooked up to this -

https://www.batterytender.com/4-Bank...ern-Hemisphere

and one to this

https://www.batterytender.com/Batter...nior-12V-0-75A

no problems at all.

When the two non-lithium batteries go out - I'll replace them with lithium.
                              tbolt

Comment

Working...
                              X