TYres and Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TYres and Shocks

Hi I'm a new member who has just acquired a 1992 ZZR1100c and it's a superb bike. There are however a couple of issues, one is the near twenty year old tyres which explain the very vague feeling when pushing on adn the other is the rear shock which lacks any damping. I'm looking for the best budget options on both fronts so would appreciate any advice/experiences. I had a YSS shock on an old Fazer which was good, are they good on ZZRs? And has anyone used Maxxis tyres, if so what do you think? Many thanks Tim
    X

Type user names to add additional recipients. To remove a recipient from the message list, click on the 'x'.

Welcome to the site

There are many tire options out there. The most popular tires as of late for sport touring seems to be the Michelin Road 5, Pirelli Angel GT/ST and/or the Bridgestone Battlax T 31.

They aren't the cheapest tire out there but for performance and longevity they can't be beat.

Can't comment on Maxxis tires as I have never used them. They seem to a tire more available in the U.K. That where you are from?

As for a good replacement shock, good luck.

If you can find one, it'll most likely be an aftermarket shock which typically means big bucks.

A couple I found;

https://www.omniaracing.net/en/rear-...1-p-13626.html

https://www.ebay.com/c/1044796542

Another option you might have is to measure eyelet to eyelet and source one.

JMHO and good luck with your search

Mike

BTW

Post up some pics and give us a little bio about yourself. Always great to have new members on the site
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

A couple of used ones on E Bay that might work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Kawasa...ty!62948!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Kawasaki...cAAOSwRY1eQd2o

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-92-Kaw...ty!62948!US!-1

I imagine any used shock from that time period is going to be in pretty bad shape.
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

YSS makes shocks (or they did have some) for the ZZR1200, so they might for the ZZR11 as well.
        As far as tires, I run Michelin Road 5's right now, and that's what's going back on it when these go.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Thanks so much for all your advice. I think tha I will go with the Hagon shock (M64097 M64097 KAWASAKI ZZ-R1100 C1<3 (ZX1100C) 90<92) and am still undecided about tyres though am leaning towards Battlax B023s as they are known quantities. There are just two many conflicting reviews of Maxxis tyres to persuade me at the moment. Practical Sportsbikes has a feature on the ZZR1100 next month so I might wait to see what it has to say especially as the UK has just gone into a 3 week lockdown so riding isn't an option.
          I have owned 2 ZXrs, a J1 (2000) and a C1H 2005) and a 1984 GPZ900 plus lots of other Japanese bikes. I have owned and love an old Guzzi LeMans 2 from 1979 for the last 25 years and have a Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat track bike. The ZZR is wonderful, powerful and handles well on a knackered OEM shock and 20 year old tyres. I was amazed that I could still push on. A comfortable, smooth and very capable machine. I'm looking forward to improving it further by replacing the rear shock, tyres and having the forks revalved in the future.
          Tim

Comment

Glad I was able to help regarding the option of the hagon shock.

Also, I don't believe the forks have the option to be revalved or resprung. I might be wrong though???

BTW I found this site that apparently specializes in ZED 1100 suspension rebuilds. Might be cheaper than going with that Hagon? I'm sure they can also address your fork issue too.

I'd at least give them a call or shoot them an e mail:

https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/ka...epair-service/

Keep us posted

Comment

Nice collection of previous bikes Tim.

However, what is/are "ZXrs"

Comment

Disregard.

Posted in wrong thread
                Last edited by BIG O; 03-24-2020, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Wow thanks for the responses everyone. In answer to Big O I should have written ZX6r . I will certainly contact the suspension rebuild place too and get something sorted just as soon as we are allowed out of our houses here in the UK! I will fit new tyres first as I suspect that will have a pretty dramatic effect. The rear dates from 2000 and the front 2004/5 so it's fair to say they're past ttheir best...

Comment

Glad I could help.

We are pretty much fooked in my area of the U.S. as well

Comment

Working...
                    X