Honda' s New CBR1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda' s New CBR1000

So, I just read Cycle World's review of the new Honda Superbike. It was a test, and then a long tech article/interview/glorification with and of Honda's R&D people and HRC. Honda leaders were happy to address numerous questions, which I enjoyed. A few highlights:
    - Why did Honda give up building more "all arounder" liter bikes and build a more true replica racer this time? In short, because they don't expect to sell many anyway (given the shrinking market), and they want to win championships again- and that is what it takes these days.
    - Why an in-line four when they have proven in MotoGP that V-fours can make more power? They use V-4's in MotoGP in part because their own experience has revealed that with in-line four liter bikes, torque-twist related vibrations, amplified by engine harmonics, move through the engine to the valve train and cause valve float when you go much past 16,000 RPM. The RC213V runs at over 18,000 RPM, whereas Dorna limits all the in-line superbikes to less than 16,000 RPM. Given the superior cost and packaging nature of the in-line four they feel it is a better option for superbike.
    - Tell us about the engine design? Bore and Stroke (81 x 48.5,) piston and combustion chamber shape and the intake tract were all lifted directly from the RC213V. Saved time and money.

Lots of cool pics of the HRC shop in Japan and all the past championship machines they keep on display.

Based on their first race results with the new bike, it seems they have hit their performance target.

G
    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Bodywork is gorgeous.....214 hp Europe....186 hp USA...... lookout for this one...$28000

Comment

Originally posted by NATURALBORNKILLAR View Post
      Bodywork is gorgeous.....214 hp Europe....186 hp USA...... lookout for this one...$28000
      Its like Honda wanted to give a boost to the US ECU re-flash industry...

Comment

$28000 for a Honda!!!

I'm out.

(Then again, I'm not a Honda fan)

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
          $28000 for a Honda!!!

I'm out.

Dude, that is the price for the SP model, intended as a platform for racing. The base model is $17k, has lower spec suspension, brakes and misc stuff.

Not that you are going to run out and buy one now.

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
            Dude, that is the price for the SP model, intended as a platform for racing. The base model is $17k, has lower spec suspension, brakes and misc stuff.
            He’s tried everything else.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post

O.K.

$17000 for a Honda!!!

I'm out.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post

He’s tried everything else.
                Exactly.

That means I know what I'm talking about

Comment

This is probably more toward your tastes, Mike.

tbolt

Comment

Ahhhh, the Superleggera!

That is a beautiful bike Bryan!

Although the winglets and the $100,000 price tag will keep me from getting one

Comment

It is a beautiful, extremely expensive machine, but all carbon fiber. Way more exciting than a pedestrian Honda RR-R-R......R........RR......R.
                      tbolt

Comment

Originally posted by tbolt View Post
                        It is a beautiful, extremely expensive machine, but all carbon fiber. Way more exciting than a pedestrian Honda RR-R-R......R........RR......R.
                        Says it only weighs 336 pounds!

It has the 998 cc engine instead of the 1103 cc found in the other Panigales but making more HP.

If I were dropping $28,000 I'd be going this route

But I really wish I had my 1198 SP in the garage

Comment

Truth. And thank you to you and Amanda for working through this craziness and keeping the train on the tracks.
                          tbolt

Comment

The new CBR1000 is very nice to look at except the price tag.

Comment

My 2006 1000RR has been one helluva a great bike. She is semi-retired now but, can still get out and rock and roll if I need her. The only things that I have had to do in 75K miles are 2 stators and a clutch. It is a wonderfully engineered and executed machine. Mine burns a fair bit of oil now but still runs strong and smooth. I would buy Honda again in heartbeat. My last purchase was a 2018 R6, I wanted to try the 600. Only reason I did not go Honda was the paint scheme was atrocious.

I wish I had Mike's 1198SP in my garage too. He contacted me when he was looking to make a move but I was already deep in to the hunt for a 600. Probably best. My bikes take a beating in the garage from careless family members and I would have been royally pissed when I found the first scratch or dent on that Duc.

Comment

Working...
                              X