Kawasaki looks to develop hybrid port and direct fuel injection engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki looks to develop hybrid port and direct fuel injection engine

Cycle World: Kawasaki Looking To Develop Dual Injection Technology.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...rce=googlenews

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well, that is really impressive. I must admit, I had a sense that direct injection pressures had to be high, but I'd have never guessed that high! F1 technology is just on another planet in so many ways.
    "...the direct injectors run at 1,450 psi (100 bar). That’s actually quite low pressure for a GDI system; some production systems operate at around 2,900 psi (200 bar) and F1 engines can use as much as 7,250 psi (500 bar)."

One big benefit of port injection that the article doesn't mention is that it helps keep the intake valves clean. Without it, fuel system cleaners with techroline never touch the backsides of the intake valves, and major deposits build up over time. I really would not want a GDI engine, but I'd go for a hybrid like this.

Thanks for sharing this short, oinfo-packed read, Mark!
    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
    (c) I never worry much about anything.
    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
    (e) I love my wife and children.
    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Bimota couldn't figure out direct injection on their 2 Cycle V-Due that I was hot to buy.
      I would have been a hero on that bike.

What might have been.
      Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

Yes on my e90 n54 bmw 335xi I have to walnut media blast the intake valves every 60k miles. They get really gummed up it's actually even amazing the engine runs as well as it does with them dirty. It was one of the earlier GDI engines that BMW made and they really didn't quite have it figured out from a PCV control perspective. One major gain depending on what bike this is going in is improved fuel economy to the tune of 15% or more. However that is pretty low pressure for GI the BMW's are well over 2000.

Comment

Working...
        X