Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting issue

Hello everyone
    Once again need some help in diagnosing starting issue.
    Bike wont start. Battery is new. When I hit the button, I just here a click coming from under the lower portion of the tank where it meets the seat. Also, I've noticed that when the gear is neutral, the green light and oil light aren't lit. Had this "fixed before and was told it was the starter relay. But here I am again with the same issue.
    Any help would greatly be appreciated as this is still my only means of transport. God bless.

If you don't have a green neutral light when in neutral, then you have a bad neutral switch, a burned out light bulb, or a broken wire. The first is most likely; but if so, then the bike should start if you pull in the clutch and raise the side stand.

The oil pressure light certainly should illuminate when ignition is on and engine is not running. If not, then bad sensor, bad bulb, or bad wiring.

With both neutral and oil lights misbehaving, I'd be inclined to suspect the ignition switch itself may have some dirty or worn contacts. Before going to the trouble of removing and disassembling it, maybe try spraying some WD40 into it and turning the key back and forth through the full range of positions. That may clean it up and get it working.

If it still does not, then there may be a wiring problem that will take some troubleshooting.

Oh, and just because the battery is new does not mean it is good. If everything else looked right, then I would say test the battery. But the indicator lights suggest a different cause.

I'll take a look at the wiring diagram and see if I get any other ideas.
    How To Cheat on Personality Tests
    1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
    (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
    (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
    (c) I never worry much about anything.
    (d) I don't care for books or music much.
    (e) I love my wife and children.
    (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
    From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

I don;t think the headlights come on, but don;t the marker lights come on when you turn the key on. Do they light up?

When you say new battery, do you mean like you bought it today and put it in or..... a couple of months ago new?

Sure sounds like dead battery. How many volts battery putting out? Has/is it been on a charger?

Are you sure battery connection good?

Pull a car battery and jump it see if it does same thing.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Check Fuse #3 (Ignition, 10 amp), and also the kill switch.
        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

Comment

After I took it to the shop and they determined that it was the starter relay. bike worked for a couple of months after a day long ride, bike died again with they same symptoms . if I jump start it, works fine. I can even turn it off, and start it normally. but when it sits over night, symptoms come up.
          now, I believe I've tried pulling the cluth in/stand up and trying to start it when the issue comes up, but I'll double check.
          As for the battery, I bought new and I believe it's workin . I have lights, turn signal, horn, but just wont turn/start.
          the neutral switch was mentioned, where is that and how do I test it?

Comment

Could be a sticking starter. Works when you put more voltage than normal (as jumping it off to start)
            but when it sits and cools off, it sticks. Not sure if that's it but another thing to check with those symptoms
            you describe. After you check all of the switches, there are a few, might check the starter itself.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
            but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Just to confirm....if you jump start the bike ( connect another battery to your battery with jumper cables) .... your bike will start just fine ? Additionally, you can ride it for the day, it starts fine all day long? BUT , overnight the bike fails to start in the morning , or maybe in a couple mornings later ?

If the answer is YES to all those, then you likely just have a heavy drain on your battery occuring, which needs to be diagnosed by using a meter thingy to measure the draw, then methodically pull fuses to see when the draw stops .... see YOUTUBE.. ..How to find a Battery drain
              Sorry , name of meter thingy is escaping me...Alzheimers already setting in....

Here's one video that may help ....love Eric The Car Guy ...funny dude
              https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...n9-gSLnKaQDw32
              Last edited by Stevo555; 02-29-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Let us know what you come up with. The power drain sounds like a good thing to check.
                Put a meter on the battery, and make a note of the reading. Turn on switch, then watch
                for a slight change. Turn switch back off, make a note of reading again. Check voltage
                a few hours later, after it sits and see what you get. Set meter at it's most minimal readout,
                the more decimal places the better.

Comment

You might also put a voltmeter on the pos and neg terminals, make note of your resting voltage, and then observe the meter while you try to start the bike. Batteries can be fickle sometimes. A warm battery can act very differently from a cold one. It may read a full charge of 13+ volsts resting, and drop to single digits with a load applied. If that is the case then I would recommend a new battery before you go chasing other causes. Ground connections can also cause intermittent problems. If you can locate, clean, and dielectric grease your grounds you may also find your problem.

My 2011 Kawi Concours failed to start at a rest stop in the middle of a long road trip one time. I had read on the forums of a similar problem and their remedy was to clean the main ground at the frame. I was able to do so, and was back on the road in 20 minutes. My 2006 Honda has a recurring problem with the kill switch on the handlebar. When it acts up I have power to all systems except the fuel pump and starter. I just toggle it a few times and listen for the fuel pump to kick on, and away I go.

Hope you get it sorted soon. An unreliable bike is hard to love.

Comment

First off, thanks for the responses. I truly appreciate it.
                    Well, I bought a battery tender lithium ion with more cracking amps hoping this would resolve i . But no. Now, the last time this issue happened was right after a 2 hour trip. Stopped to eat and "click" nothing. Had to jump start i .
                    What concerns me is the oil and neutral light not lighting when I turn the ignition key to start it. I tried pulling in the clutch with the stand up like one suggested, but bo dice
                    Next, I'm gonna try and check all the grounds and test the voltag . I've kept it on a battery tender so battery should be good. Again, thanks for all the responses and I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

Bad key switch? At this point, I'm guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by carloselizondo View Post
                        bought a battery tender lithium ion with more cracking amps
                        I'm confused?

Did you buy a new battery or a new "lithium Ion Battery Tender"? (which only means it will charge both lithium and lead acid batteries)

So when you charge the battery with the battery tender and the "green light" is on the bike starts fine?

When you "jump start" the bike it starts fine?

Then after a ride it's dead again?

Then either the battery is bad and not holding a charge or you have a charging system problem.

Test battery

Test charging system.

Or....

Are you saying with a full charge it doesn't start?

When you jump it, it doesn't start?

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Some things that come to mind"
                          Try actual contact cleaner. It's available at most hardware stores. It's not a bad idea to spray in on all your safety switches / connections.

The failure of the neutral light to come on makes me question the neutral switch. Have you tested it? Without knowing what bike you have, here's a link that will give you an idea of how to test and/or replace the switch. https:// http://www.sportbikes. net/threads/ neutral-safety-switch-repair-instructions-with-pics.407793/ (I don't know how many posts I need before I can post links. You can copy & remove the spaces, or just do a web search.)

Does the neutral light ever come on? If not, have you checked the bulb and all the connections to the instrument panel.

There are a number of switches that all have to be functioning properly for the starter to work:
                          Clutch switch
                          Kill switch
                          Ignition switch (from the comments above, hitting the ignition switch with contact cleaner should be a high priority)
                          Neutral switch
                          Sidestand switch
                          Check and clean connections on all of these, and test the switches.

If you don't have a digital multimeter, I would suggest getting one and learning the basics. Even the $7 Harbor Freight unit is far better than none at all. You probably don't really need a fancy one - I have an inexpensive Radio Shack unit that has served me well for over 30 years.

As noted above, check your battery voltage when stopping the bike, after charging, before and during cranking/cranking attempts. That will help isolate a bad battery, a drain, or perhaps a short.

Test the starter solenoid.

I had some problems getting my 6E started after a multi-year holiday. Turns out I had both a corroded kill switch and an unplugged clutch switch.

With electrical, the keys to success are cleaning, checking with tools, working methodically, and recording your results.

Start with the obvious, and work your way down the list, going from the most probable issues to the least probable.

FWIW - if you list your bike in your signature, it can help others assist you.
                          Last edited by Connie & Zelda; 03-05-2020, 12:18 AM.
                          Zelda - 93 ZX6E - daily rider
                          Connie - 08 ZG14 - currently parked

Comment

Welcome to the site Connie and Zelda.

Outstanding first post!

Thanks for the suggestions and diagnosis "how to"

When you get a chance head over to: https://zzrbikes.com/forum/general-z...newbie-section and give us a little bio on yourselve(s)

Thanks!
                            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Considering ALL of the reported symptoms, I think the most likely causes, in order, are:
                              1. ground (frame or engine),
                              2. ignition switch,
                              3. kill switch,
                              4. wiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X