Buying a bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a bike

One of my offspring is moving to Toronto for a couple of years, working for a company that produces and develops flotation equipment for the mining industry.
    He is considering buying a bike there.
    I was wondering if he should buy one in Canada, or hop the border to the USA, buy one there, and ride it back.
    His current ride here is a ZX12R, but he is looking at perhaps a MT-09 or MT-10 Yamaha.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

In my opinion in USA there are more options

Comment

Canadian here: he's better to buy a bike in Canada because our numeric prices are often identical to American bike prices, which really means up to a 30% discount over buying in the US. Add the bullshit of getting a bike across the border, and it makes zero sense unless he wants a rare Ducati or Moto Guzzi. Canada over the past few years has sneakily become a better value proposition over the US in most things other than real estate.

There are more than six million people in the Toronto area, so it's also a gigantic bike market with loads of choice.

Finally, Ontario insurance rates are stupid on anything sporty, so he'd be best looking for something standard or adventurey

Comment

Originally posted by opore View Post
        In my opinion in USA there are more options
        Welcome to the site, Opore.
        What are you riding?
        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post
          Canadian here: he's better to buy a bike in Canada because our numeric prices are often identical to American bike prices, which really means up to a 30% discount over buying in the US. Add the bullshit of getting a bike across the border, and it makes zero sense unless he wants a rare Ducati or Moto Guzzi. Canada over the past few years has sneakily become a better value proposition over the US in most things other than real estate.

There are more than six million people in the Toronto area, so it's also a gigantic bike market with loads of choice.

Finally, Ontario insurance rates are stupid on anything sporty, so he'd be best looking for something standard or adventurey
          Where's the best place for him to look?
          Only 28 total listings today on Toronto CL. I'm guessing there's some other platform than CL that's popular up there?
          https://toronto.craigslist.org/d/mot...ers/search/mca
          “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post

Thanks for that info, I'll be passing that on to him.

Comment

Another Cdn rider here recommending he buy in Canada. It will be cheaper to buy in Canada when comparing similar bikes on both sides of the border. The exchange rate in the Cdn / US dollar and cost of taxes and import from the US will make it more economical to shop in Canada. Besides that most bikes in Canada will have lower mileage as they are only ridden 6-7 months a year due to Cdn winters.

Kijiji is a more popular buy and sell website than Craigslist. He can also check the motorcycle category on AutoTrader. Bikes are cheapest in Quebec. High insurance rates there have driven down the cost of bikes throughout the province. There are lots of bikes on the market there due to insurance costs. I hope this helps your son with his shopping.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Thanks for that, he has already had a read of this topic.

Comment

Kijiji.ca is our most popular buy/sell site, and I've traded a lot of stuff on it successfully. I hardly look at anything else for bikes especially. The site was recently bought by eBay, so it's a giant despite the quirky name

Comment

It's more practical to just buy a bike in Canada.

Comment

Thanks, and welcome to the site.

Comment

Working...
                      X