New owner - my 1st. Zed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If not, maybe take a pic of yours?
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

That might be what it connects to.... I will admit I haven't checked the sidestand cut out and I can start the bike without pulling the clutch in.

I'll investigate and report.
      Oh yeah, got my Scottoiler working
      But failed on the oil filter change; I couldn't get the lower rear fairing screw out so couldn't get to the housing!
      Last edited by Helmetvonthrob; 01-26-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

So I've now put almost 700 miles on my Zed. The headshake has gone! The tyre pressures were a bit low so maybe inflated properly and new front tyre bedded in 'fixed' the issue.

I took the Zed to Tony Galea in Wickford where we went over the bike...

Fairings and tank removed, head bearings, brake pads checked, chain and sprocket have some wear and chain has a tight spot which gives a slight bump, bump, bump at 45mph, I have lubed and adjusted the chain but not rode it to confirm if I need to get a C&S set.

The fairings have been given new screws and bolts where appropriate.

Oil filter changed, air filter cleaned and re-oiled, platinum plugs fitted.

Starter chain and cam chain replaced, all valve clearances checked and adjusted where necessary; 14 out of 16 were slightly tight.

One inlet cam lobe on No.4 had slight pitting which was carefully smoothed, the followers are all fine.

And finally, carbs balanced and pilot screws all backed out 1/2 a turn. I now have a super smooth idle.

I am getting used to riding what is quite a heavy bike but god it's fast!

Oh yeah, the sidestand cutout switch is missing.

Comment

This is an excellent bike when fully serviced and adjusted.

Camchain replaced? How many miles on the bike?
          I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Wow - I'd love to have him go over my bike!

Glad you have it sorted

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
            ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Originally posted by Helmetvonthrob View Post
              So I've now put almost 700 miles on my Zed. The headshake has gone! The tyre pressures were a bit low so maybe inflated properly and new front tyre bedded in 'fixed' the issue.

I took the Zed to Tony Galea in Wickford where we went over the bike...

Fairings and tank removed, head bearings, brake pads checked, chain and sprocket have some wear and chain has a tight spot which gives a slight bump, bump, bump at 45mph, I have lubed and adjusted the chain but not rode it to confirm if I need to get a C&S set.

The fairings have been given new screws and bolts where appropriate.

Oil filter changed, air filter cleaned and re-oiled, platinum plugs fitted.

Starter chain and cam chain replaced, all valve clearances checked and adjusted where necessary; 14 out of 16 were slightly tight.

One inlet cam lobe on No.4 had slight pitting which was carefully smoothed, the followers are all fine.

And finally, carbs balanced and pilot screws all backed out 1/2 a turn. I now have a super smooth idle.

I am getting used to riding what is quite a heavy bike but god it's fast!

Oh yeah, the sidestand cutout switch is missing.
              Sounds good.

Might as well throw on chain and sprockets. Especially if there is already a tight spot in the chain.

As for some pitting on the cam lobe, no worries, it is a well known issue with the ZED but nobody has ever had any issues other than the slight pitting.

Yes it is a heavy bike but it is what it is.

Glad you are enjoying it
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
                This is an excellent bike when fully serviced and adjusted.

Camchain replaced? How many miles on the bike?
                Just past 40k, should now be good for another 40! No fatal issues with either chain but thought they were worth doing as part of the valve clearances/top off work! The starter chain had a bit of wear but not excessive.

Comment

And I forgot to add the fairly used NGKs got swapped for iridiums! My guru Tony says the Zeds run well on these plugs.

Comment

All sounds very good. Now on to the brakes and suspension. I could spend your your money all day long.

Comment

Congrats on your new bike!

Comment

The weather at the moment is dreadful so can't get much time on the bike! Getting stir crazy!

Comment

Working...
                        X