No announcement yet.

New owner - my 1st. Zed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely take the headstock apart, grease, and tighten to correct specs.
    38psi front, 40 rear is what I use.
    I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Good luck with the new ride! Motorcyclings best kept secret.
      KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
        Motorcycling's best kept secret.
        . I think you're right!!
        I have looked at Zeds for a few years thinking they were a bit under-rated.

So far so good, I just need to get the basics done and then go and have some fun.. once the rain stops!

Comment

Most of the members here chased decelerating headshake when they rode their ZZR’s. People tried different tire pressures, different weight fork oil, fork braces, tapered steering head bearings and an assortment of other possible cures. I tried them all. To my knowledge headshake is inherent in the ZZR. As others have suggested a set of new matched quality tires certainly minimizes the problem, all of the other things can help as well but at the end of the day it seems the ZZR has a propensity to decelerating head shake if you take your hands off the bars. It also occurs occasionally on my ZX14 usually with a full up touring load and or when tires are getting worn. I run 42/42 on the ZX14 and I ran the same on the ZZR. Good luck with your new ride. Once you get it sorted you are going to really enjoy it

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Here's my zed headshake experience:

Conti Road Attack 2: a LOT of decel headshake as soon as the tires were run in, regardless of load. sticky tires for about 2000km and then shit

​​​​​​Pirelli Angel GT: noticeable headshake after a couple of thousand kilometres

Michelin PR4: headshake only with a heavy load after a lot of kms, but I hated the PR4 front tire with a passion

Michelin PR5: zero headshake through the life of the tire, and best sporty touring tire I've used

Comment

Road 5 it is then
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Helmetvon

For me, headshake on the Zed boils down to tires and that's all. But that's only 162k ZZR1200 miles on 4 different ZZR1200s speaking.

Avons used to cure it but this current generation of Avons' pattern leads to cupping and headshake. The original Bridgestones gave the bike headshake, but the T30GTs and now the T31GTs have none. T31GTs for me next.

Post pics

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Your temp gauge is normal. Runs cold.

The Battlax is the WORST tire I've ever ridden. Possible that it's part of your head-shake problem.
                  Check it carefully for pressure, and cupping if it's not new. Mine cupped badly.
                  IMO, I'd throw it away. Get a Michelin Pilot Road... Not a 3... 2, 4 or 5 are good to go.
                  Folks here have had success with the standard version, although Michelin would recommend the heavy bike version, it has a different number.
                  I'd swap the tire (tyre) before I did anything about the bearings other than make sure the head is torqued to spec.
                  “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Haaaaaaa keep your hands on the bars ..........no head shake...... why are u taking your hands off in the first place????????????????? Peace

Comment

Originally posted by ramblin66 View Post
                      The Battlax is the WORST tire I've ever ridden.
                      Check it carefully for pressure, and cupping if it's not new. Mine cupped badly.
                      And yet Battlaxs are the goto tyre for Suzuki Bandits!

Pressure is 42 as per the manual and the Battlax is virtually brand new!

AND... I do like to stretch on a long ride!!

Last edited by Helmetvonthrob; 01-22-2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I've found an 'unused' 2-pin black female connector hanging down above and to the left of the side stand, what is it for??

Comment

Possible connector for battery tender or heated vest?

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Kick stand safety switch?
                            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                              Kick stand safety switch?
                              That's what I thought but I can't make it stretch to anywhere. In answer to NotDeadYet... it looks more factory than aftermarket

Comment

So this isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X