Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New owner - my 1st. Zed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New owner - my 1st. Zed

    Just bought my 1st. Zed 12. So far, I like it! It is quick enough for me! Well at least for the moment

    So questions... Can I change oil and filter, coolant (and filter??), brake/clutch fluids without removing the fairings?

    Any common failure points I need to be aware of?

    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.


  • #2
    Congratulations on your first ZED!

    All of your questions answered here: https://zzrbikes.com/ccamp/ZZR1200C1HManual.pdf

    I don't believe you have to take the fairings off for an oil change. I believe you can get away with just loosening the the lower bolts and spreading the lower fairing open a bit.

    Post up some pics and give us some history on you and your bike (s) when you get a chance.

    Welcome to the site.


    Mike
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome here. Peace

      Comment


      • #4
        It's fast enough alright. Welcome!
        KN, this ride's for You.

        http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

        Comment


        • #5
          Welcome!

          I preferred to remove the right side fairing to change the oil and filter. Messy on the fairings otherwise.
          IIRC, you can't get to the coolant cap without removing the inner (black) top plastic on the right side. No filter for coolant.

          Take it easy with the fairing bolts, it's not difficult to strip the threads on some of them, DAMHIK.

          The stock seat sucks balls.
          Early versions (2002-03) suffered from cam pitting, but still ran fine mostly.
          Don't let the bike sit without running for more than a week. Probably the biggest issue with the bike is carbs getting clogged from sitting around. Seafoam is your friend on this.
          Search around here for timing chain issue... Chain whacking the clutch housing. Some have it, some don't.

          “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

          Comment


          • #6
            This bunch on this site, pretty much can cover anything on the ole Zed.
            A few of us still have one of them and just can't give it up.
            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
            but sometimes it just needs a mod"

            Comment


            • #7
              Thank you all for your welcomes and inputs..

              As per Big O's request.. me and my bikes, a potted history...

              Me: Operational Excellence Consultant, Engineer, Petrolhead.. Love anything mechanical, inveterate fiddler. I have short arms and long pockets so repair rather than replace!!

              Passed my bike test in '89, borrowed people's bikes for a few years, got my own bike finally in '94 a Yamaha XJ750 Seca US import, followed by a 600 mk.1 Bandit in 96. Took a break in '98 and started again in '09 with a GSXR750 WS Slingshot followed by 2x600 Bandits, an FZ6-S Yamaha Fazer, a 1200 Mk.1 Bandit and finally the Zed!

              Bought the Zed to hopefully do a bit of touring (workload allowing).

              Over the next few weeks will do service stuff and checking the bike over to make sure that it is capable of handling my treatment!!

              So far:- the bike has mismatched tyres, Bridgestone 015 on the front and Maxxis on the rear, the chain appears to have a tight spot and the brakes are adequate but probably need a cleanup. The bike is stable at speed but has a headstock shake hands-off at 40mph. The water temp. gauge never gets out of the Cold zone, I guess the needle should sit towards vertical. Is this a common problem? maybe the sensor?

              Other than that there's a Scottoiler type system which appears to be disconnected.

              The bike has 40k on the clock so I guess for this engine it's low.

              So far, happy days!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Helmetvonthrob View Post
                Thank you all for your welcomes and inputs..

                As per Big O's request.. me and my bikes, a potted history...

                Me: Operational Excellence Consultant, Engineer, Petrolhead.. Love anything mechanical, inveterate fiddler. I have short arms and long pockets so repair rather than replace!!

                Passed my bike test in '89, borrowed people's bikes for a few years, got my own bike finally in '94 a Yamaha XJ750 Seca US import, followed by a 600 mk.1 Bandit in 96. Took a break in '98 and started again in '09 with a GSXR750 WS Slingshot followed by 2x600 Bandits, an FZ6-S Yamaha Fazer, a 1200 Mk.1 Bandit and finally the Zed!

                Bought the Zed to hopefully do a bit of touring (workload allowing).

                Over the next few weeks will do service stuff and checking the bike over to make sure that it is capable of handling my treatment!!

                So far:- the bike has mismatched tyres, Bridgestone 015 on the front and Maxxis on the rear, the chain appears to have a tight spot and the brakes are adequate but probably need a cleanup. The bike is stable at speed but has a headstock shake hands-off at 40mph. The water temp. gauge never gets out of the Cold zone, I guess the needle should sit towards vertical. Is this a common problem? maybe the sensor?

                Other than that there's a Scottoiler type system which appears to be disconnected.

                The bike has 40k on the clock so I guess for this engine it's low.

                So far, happy days!
                Thanks for the bio!

                So the ZED is your entrance into big bore touring bikes for the most part. I think you picked a winner. 40,000 miles isn't a worry at all. We have members with over 100,000 miles on their bikes. The ZED engine is bulletproof. Been in production for years. Basically the same engine as in the REX 1200 bit with different cams. Easy and inexpensive to maintain. I believe the ZED will be more than capable of your treatment . Throw on a set of bags and you are ready to go. Speaking of bags, they make ZED specific hard bags if you are interested in going that route. Also, as was stated earlier, the OEM seat sucks if you are putting on any large amount of touring miles. However, that can be remedies easily also.

                As for the brakes, I'm sure a good overhaul of the system will help immensely. However, there are some that have converted their calipers to GSXR calipers. It's a fairly easy conversion. There are several threads on the conversion on the site. Just use the search feature.

                As for the chain, it's probably the original so any good chain will remedy that issue. I'm not a fan of the Scott Oiler as I try and keep my bikes clean. After all, how difficult is it to shoot some lube on your chain periodically?

                The "ole 40 mph headshake" is a common issue with the ZED. Gotta be a jillion discussions about it on the site. We have pretty much attributed it to the front tire wear and the tread pattern. Many of us run Pilot Road's or Pirelli Angel's and the headshake problem disappears or decreases substantially. Since you are going to get new tires you might give either brand a try.

                No worries about the needle staying in the "cold zone". That's normal. The cooling system on the ZED is one thing that works VERY well. There are a jillion posts discussing that issue also.

                I think that pretty much covers it.



                So, where are you located? What year is your bike?

                AND



                I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

                Comment


                • #9
                  At 40k on the clock she’s got lots of life left. Do the maintenance you’ve outlined, brakes, chain, tires etc. The hands off decel headshake is pretty common on the ZZR. New tires minimize it but it generally comes back with wear. I also found weight and distribution thereof impacted headshake on mine. If I had it loaded with passenger and luggage it would exacerbate the problem. Riding alone sans luggage it wouldn’t be as bad. I learned to keep at least one hand on the bars. Michelin PR5’s are a great sport touring tire for the old girl. I’ve been running them on my ZX14 and love them. Good luck getting her sorted and welcome to the sight. You will get lots of smiles and miles out of what is a trusted steed. Twist the throttle hard and hang on.


                  "I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I live in Winchester, Hampshire. My Zed is a 2003/53.

                    Pics will follow once I've got it washed and generally cleaned up.

                    My temp. gauge only moves 2-3mm from the left, doesn't even make it out if the cold zone... Is that normal?
                    I'm a big boy 5'9 but 100kg+ so if NotDeadYes is right I might be exacerbating the headshake.
                    Last edited by Helmetvonthrob; 01-12-2020, 02:19 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Mine only has around 40K on it and I bought it new (April 02)
                      I did go for quite a few years hardly ever riding it more than
                      just a few miles at a trip. (back issues) Not the Zed, me.
                      Got that fixed some years ago and riding more these days.
                      The Michelin Road 5's, best tire I've ran yet. I love this bike.
                      "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
                      but sometimes it just needs a mod"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sorry - I forgot to mention the temp gauge tended to run low on most of the ZZRs. I don’t think mine ever got above about 1/3 of the way up into the gauge.


                        "I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Helmetvonthrob View Post
                          I live in Winchester, Hampshire. My Zed is a 2003/53.

                          Pics will follow once I've got it washed and generally cleaned up.

                          My temp. gauge only moves 2-3mm from the left, doesn't even make it out if the cold zone... Is that normal?
                          I'm a big boy 5'9 but 100kg+ so if NotDeadYes is right I might be exacerbating the headshake.
                          No issue with temp gauge. All good.
                          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So as I said earlier, I have mixed tyres and a headshake but the Battlax on the front is brand new - 300 ish miles and the Maxxis rear is less than a third. Both are inflated to 42 psi as per the manual.

                            Is it worthwhile to get the headstock apart and grease everything or is it unlikely to be a contributory factor and I should just get new tyres all round??

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Helmetvonthrob View Post
                              So as I said earlier, I have mixed tyres and a headshake but the Battlax on the front is brand new - 300 ish miles and the Maxxis rear is less than a third. Both are inflated to 42 psi as per the manual.

                              Is it worthwhile to get the headstock apart and grease everything or is it unlikely to be a contributory factor and I should just get new tyres all round??
                              Yeah do the maintenance but air down to 36/38psi and see how she behaves.
                              I'm a firm believer in matched tires from whoever. I prefer Dunlop RoadSmart tires.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X