zx14 smoked Brake & Clutch Reserviors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zx14 smoked Brake & Clutch Reserviors

Sometimes it's the little things........

Was thinking a while back of doing the smoked tank swap from the SE but
    came across these, just received them today.

Exact same Nissin Parts, Smoked, Direct replacement, got them from Webike Japan. (Webike Japan Great Site.)

$40 for both and used the cheapest slow boat from Japan shipping $8 Total = $48

Took around 3 weeks to get to me, no tracking info etc.

https://japan.webike.net/products/23189838.html

https://japan.webike.net/products/23189837.html

res-tanks.jpg

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Nice.

How much did Kawasaki want for them?
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

probably too much

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
        Nice.

How much did Kawasaki want for them?
        The 14 SE model has "Brembo" smoked tanks. You can order them, just need the tanks and a handful of misc parts.

The brembo tanks, brackets and misc parts around $100 with shipping.

The smoked Nissin's are the same as the white Nissin's that are on the bike already. Not available through Kawasaki. (as far as I know)
        Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Do you know if you can swap the monobloc M 50's Brembos from the newer models to the older models that had the Nissins?
          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Not sure. Would need to do some research.

Standard Jap mounting bolt spacing like the Nissin's is 108mm, I'm thinking the M50's might be (pretty sure) 100mm
            (which would work nicely on a new set of Ohlin's)

Also would need to compare piston sizes, might need to swap master cylinder too to match if piston size
            difference is significant.

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
              Not sure. Would need to do some research.

Standard Jap mounting bolt spacing like the Nissin's is 108mm, I'm thinking the M50's might be (pretty sure) 100mm
              (which would work nicely on a new set of Ohlin's)

Also would need to compare piston sizes, might need to swap master cylinder too to match if piston size
              difference is significant.

Yeah, I had thought about master cylinder issues.

When you say "mounting bolt spacing" you are referring to the distance between the caliper mounting bracket bolt holes on the fork tube?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

When you say "mounting bolt spacing" you are referring to the distance between the caliper mounting bracket bolt holes on the fork tube?
                Yes,

Last edited by piken; 09-05-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Looks like the SE 16+ with the M50 also using 310mm rotors, same as previous so wouldn't have to mill like if they where using 320mm rotors like the newer zx10's went to 320mm rotors.

Comment

Looks like the SE 16+ with the M50 also using 310mm rotors, same as previous so wouldn't have to mill like if they where using 320mm rotors like the newer zx10's went to 320mm rotors.
                    So it sounds like the only other issue would be where the disc meets the pads/caliper?

I understand the disc is the same diameter but if the Brembos mount either closer or further from the disc (where the disc actually sits between the brake pads) then there could be spacing issues.

That make sense?

Comment

Makes sense,

but I'm thinking that part should be ok. I've only seen issues when differing rotor sizes.

It's the width of the mounting bolts that needs to be checked. Then yes, spacers or a small amount
                      of milling would take care of where the pads hit, both easy enough.

Would be nice if just had a set to test. Could tell all this in about a minute.

Could always buy as long as spacing = 108mm, (I'm guessing you have something lined up) and then sell if doesn't fit.
                      I don't think you would have any problems selling a set of Brembo M50's

Comment

Makes sense,

but I'm thinking that part should be ok. I've only seen issues when differing rotor sizes.

It's the width of the mounting bolts that needs to be checked. Then yes, spacers or a small amount
                        of milling would take care of where the pads hit, both easy enough.

Would be nice if just had a set to test. Could tell all this in about a minute.

Could always buy as long as spacing = 108mm, (I'm guessing you have something lined up) and then sell if doesn't fit.
                        I don't think you would have any problems selling a set of Brembo M50's
                        No, I don't have anything planned.

Was just thinking out loud.

The Nissin's are pretty good. Never had any issues with them when I had my 14.

Don't know if the Brembos would be a substantial improvement?

Was just thinking about the differences between the 16+ ZX 14's and the others.

Do you know what year they started putting in the slipper clutch?

Comment

I'm guessing it came in on the Gen 2 2012+

My opinion is more of a marketing feature then anything else. That;s just my opinion.

I have on my ZX10 and ZX14 I routinely lock up the rear through down shifting, Especially on the ZX10 on the track,
                          It's how I'm trying (unsuccessfully so far) to "back it in" and keep the revs up Trying to float the rear around a little coming into the corner.
                          Drop a couple of gears and drop the clutch it locks up no problem.

I think you need to adjust the clutch plates properly to the weight of the bike, etc,

I looked into it on the ZX10 in the race manual it has instructions and listed parts to make adjustments.
                          But parts non existent (at least for my aging Gen 2) and where fairly expensive.

People disable it on the 14. with Brock's clutch mod

https://brocksperformance.com/clutch...-zx-14r-12-19/

Maybe someone else knows more about these Slipper Clutches (revers limiting clutches)

Hey I can talk bikes all day long!
                          The inside secret around work is if you want to take a longer break, just ask Ken something about motorcycles!

Last edited by piken; 09-05-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I also believe the slipper clutches came out in the 2012 model year bikes.

I've also read different reviews on the slipper clutches on the ZX 10 as well as the 14.

Some say exactly as you said but others say they work like a charm.

I know the slipper clutches that I had on my 1198 as well as the one I currently have on my RSV 4 work like a dream!!!

My K 1300 S doesn't have a slipper clutch and I have hammered down a few gears quickly when entering a corner and have the rear lock up and slide a bit but nothing uncontrollable. That is on the street BTW. I don't track the bike.

Maybe Kawasaki just hasn't figured them out yet????

Now, where do you work and are you hiring?

Comment

Working...
                            X