HELP: ZX-14R power cutting off and coming back on with no explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: ZX-14R power cutting off and coming back on with no explanation

We have checked the battery, and the connections seem to be solid, and we don't believe it's a map power issue as the lights and guages still worked with no issue. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Tyler-Son of Gregness View Post
    map power issue

Pc5?
    Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Is this happening with the engine running at idle, and/or while powered up in revs? Or, are you just stating the power cuts on/off as you turn the key to on without starting the engine?
      My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
      http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Must say I've not heard of that issue with a ZX 14 before.

Those things are typically bulletproof.

Sorry I couldn't be any help and please post up when you get it sorted.
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

The issue was happening at all rpms, we fixed the ground for the power commander, and think that may have fixed it

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler-Son of Gregness View Post
            fixed the ground for the power commander, and think that may have fixed it
            This. I think you got it.
            Last edited by piken; 08-03-2019, 12:20 PM.
            Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Oh, and this was NDY (David)'s bike at the mini rally in North Eastern Washington, Dave has been on the road for ~30 minutes and said the bike seems to be working well

Comment

I thought we had it fixed at Greg’s as I left but it continued to act up on the way home. The bike starts and runs fine but after a few hours of hard riding it starts to cut in and out with total power failure and then returns back to full power. It definitely seems to be some kind of electrical issue. Failure happens in all gears at all revs. It will just completely die while under power then will cut back in anywhere from a second to 30 seconds later and does this repeatedly once it starts to act up. It seems after a longer shut down it will run normally again for a few hours. I’m wondering if the Power Commander 3 that’s in it is starting to fail, perhaps from heat. There were a few times I thought the bike might leave me stranded but each time it came back to life. Im home now so I guess I need to do some further trouble shooting.
                Last edited by NotDeadYet; 08-04-2019, 03:41 PM.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

I'd totally bypass/remove pc and see if it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
                    I'd totally bypass/remove pc and see if it happens.
                    I think that’s my next step. We checked battery connections, kill switch, side stand switch, ignition and power commander ground. I think bypass the power commander is next.

Comment

It certainly reads like a heat problem. I had a Ducati ECU act like that. It took a lot of troubleshooting to finally determine that an integrated circuit was misbehaving when it reached a certain temperature.
                      How To Cheat on Personality Tests
                      1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
                      (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
                      (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
                      (c) I never worry much about anything.
                      (d) I don't care for books or music much.
                      (e) I love my wife and children.
                      (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
                      From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Originally posted by reidmct View Post
                        It certainly reads like a heat problem. I had a Ducati ECU act like that. It took a lot of troubleshooting to finally determine that an integrated circuit was misbehaving when it reached a certain temperature.
                        ECU would be my next guess. Thanks

Comment

I am reviving this old thread from the past just to let people know we found the solution to my problem. I had an independent mechanic who worked from home who was willing to put some hours in that wouldn’t break the bank. He did a lot of troubleshooting and in the end he found a short in a ground wire that powered the instrument cluster buried deep in the wiring harness that was causing my problems. It was a lot of trouble shooting and a long time sorting it out but my blue bike is back on the road again. Electrical gremlins can be a real bitch.
                          Last edited by NotDeadYet; 12-23-2020, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Wow Dave, now you have two functioning 14's. I guess old blue will be for sale in the spring...
                            "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

Comment

Originally posted by gregness View Post
                              Wow Dave, now you have two functioning 14's. I guess old blue will be for sale in the spring...
                              Yes it will - unless I decide to keep it for a guest bike. Does anyone want to come ride the western Canadian Rockies?

Comment

Working...
                              X