Kawasaki - “Versys 1000” - opinions please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki - “Versys 1000” - opinions please

I have a buddy who called me for my opinion on a Versys 1000. He hasn’t ridden for a few years but he’s got lots of riding experience. He’s thinking this might be a good bike to get him back on two wheels.

I know nothing about the bike other than what I’ve read. It looks like it might be a good choice. Does anyone here have any real world experience with one? I’d love to hear your opinions.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

No, but here is a review of the updated 1000SE LT+ 2019 model. I will probably end up going this route in a few years for longer road trips.
    https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...orcycle-review
    My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
    http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Thanks - That’s a pretty positive write up. I think I might try to set up a demo. I wasn’t aware of the category it filled. My friend is my age (old). It seems to be exactly what he’s looking for.

I might even consider it as an alternative to my “14”. I’m finding the ergonomics are starting to get tighter the older I get. Spending 2 hours in the saddle seems to be getting harder all the time. My wrists and my knees are killing me.
      Last edited by NotDeadYet; 06-10-2019, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Something like 550lbs and 118hp.

Doens't have to be a fire breather but 118hp is pretty deficient. Put a passenger on and you might not be able to get up a hill.

Maybe for a beginners bike.

Weight / hp ratio to low, pass.

How can that review even compare it to the BMW S1000XR or Ducati Multistrada 1260

Those are two great bike bikes and with proper hp.

BMW S1000XR - 502lbs @ 160hp

Ducati Multistrada 1260 - 511lbs @ 158 hp

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post

Doens't have to be a fire breather but 118hp is pretty deficient. Put a passenger on and you might not be able to get up a hill.

Weight / hp ratio to low, pass.

How can that review even compare it to the BMW S1000XR or Ducati Multistrada 1260

Those are two great bike bikes and with proper hp.

BMW S1000XR - 502lbs @ 160hp

Ducati Multistrada 1260 - 511lbs @ 158 hp

NDY is referring to a guy who has not ridden in years and I am referring to a bike I may go to in a few years when riding one up and touring without spending mega bucks on initial cost and maintenance like I would for a BMW or Ducati. The review was not comparing the Versys to those bikes, which are in a league of their own, the bikes are just the same style, street/adv upright riding position. You are right about the horsepower issue, especially if he plans to ride 2 up.

A friend of my mine has an S1000XR with hard bags and loves it. He had a small lady for a pillion on one of our rides with no problems keeping up. (He works for a BMW dealership and got a discount on the bike and gets a discount on maintenance).

So, NDY, if your friend’s riding skills are still there, plans to ride 2 up, and he has plenty of $, then the S1000XR may be the route for him.

My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Still the wrong crowd to ask. We're all speed junkie freakazoids around these parts.
            KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Here’s a good comparison article of litre street/adv bikes, with a couple of othe options, 950 mulri-strada and VStrom:
              https://ridermagazine.com/2017/10/03...omparo-review/

My brother, who lives in Colorado, has VStrom and likes it, especially handles well on the dirt forest service roads.
              Last edited by spedxprt; 06-10-2019, 01:54 PM.
              My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Ok... then we might as well throw in the KTM Super Duke GT as well.

Here's a bike I could get into and it's 506lb @ 173hp

This may be my retirement bike when I get old.

ah..... then again, the H2 SX SE 565lb @ 197hp might be a better choice for a retirement bike..... man so many choices!

At a 118hp my foot would get sore with all the shifting you would have to do.

Last edited by piken; 06-10-2019, 05:01 PM.
                Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Here’s an S1000XR and Multistrada 1200S comparo:
                  https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rid...escapes#page-2

Yes, the SuperDuke GT is another option but with about the same seating position as my ZX-14R. I would just keep riding my 14 when I get “old.” (which I will probably just end up doing since my $ keeps going to the track bike and track day charges ). I was recently on a ride with a guy on a KTM GT. He loves it but not enough wind protection on the longer hauls to the twisties and can’t load it up too much on trips.
                  My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

Here’s Piken and his wife in retirement Love ya man!
                    I have enjoyed this thread, kept me busy as I rehab on pain meds and wish I was riding again. (The one hand, one finger typing sucks.)
                    My ol' ZZR1200 pics:

Comment

I guess you got the hand done?

Yes, must have minimal wind protection.

I guess my point is for a few thousand dollars more get something you can ogle over.

I've had the zx14 for 4 years and the zx10 for 5-6 years and I still ogle over both of them and
                      not to mention the thrill of riding them either.

I've had bikes that within a year I was like why the heck did I buy this thing.

I could ogle for quite a while over the H2, BMW, Duc, KTM (including new 14 or 10) but the Versys, not so much,

The up front expense of a few thousand more is worth it in the long run.

Comment

You guys bring up some good points. I was surprised it only puts out 118 hp. I would have thought 1000 cc’s would have more oomph. Thanks for the feedback, it’s exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by spedxprt View Post
                          Here’s Piken and his wife in retirement
                          Wife won't ride with me anymore, something about after 32 years she can't stand to be that close to me anymore!

Comment

Wife won't ride with me anymore, something about after 32 years she can't stand to be that close to me anymore!
                            My g/f hasn’t ridden with me since I had a bad crash in Montana about 7 years ago. She saw me on my back in bed after the accident and I think it scared her off. I remember lying on the side of the road waiting for the ambulance and thinking how glad I was that she wasn’t with me.

Comment

Geeesh... Come on! Not enough power to climb a hill. Jesus...

I've been riding for 45 years, 22 of those on two ZX11. Since last year, I'm riding a Versys 1000 and I love it!
                              Yes, not a power beast but it can climb any hill with a passenger and three full Givi bags.
                              Does not have the top end rush of a ZX-11 but much torquier than a ZX11 in the 2500~4500 RPM where most riders are most of the day anyway.
                              Ergonomics are much better, riding position very comfortable, much more legroom and with a Corbin seat, both pair of butts are much happier than on my Corbin equipped ZX-11.

Highly recommend bike for sure!
                              Just don't ask to power junkie guys...

Comment

Working...
                              X