X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrazyTrain
    replied
    Welcome, Bilweidner, and congratulations on the bike

I'd love to see more photos of your ZZR!

I've been running Bridgestone T30 GTs lately. I think they have now been superseded by the T31s.

You might give those a try. Troy likes em too and he's hard on tires!

Leave a comment:

• BIG O
    replied
    Hello and welcome to the site!

Congratulations on finding your ZZR!

The ZZR is a great bike for all around duty. Handles great for what it is ( big and long wheelbase) in the tight stuff yet you can use it for long trips as well as commuting back and forth.

There are remedies for the issues you spoke of in your post.

As for tires and chain, we can go on for hours and hours about which is best. Especially tires! LOL

I'd just go with a good, reputable company for the chain. Definitely go with a good "x" or "O" ring 530 pitch.

Tires???????????????

Many of us have a great success with the Michelin Road's or Pirelli Angel's.

There have been front tire "cupping" issues depending on the tire tread design. Doesn't seem to much of an issue with the tires I listed above.

Where you from?

Post up some pics.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• bilweidner
    replied
    I purchased my 05 ZZ R1200 in August 2018 and have fallen in love. I got so lucky to find this bike which was listed at $4k and dropped to $3K when the previous owner was moving and had other rides. the 2005 had only 12K miles so I was skeptical with the low price but I trusted the seller and went for it. My first long ride was two weeks later when I drove 12 hours to visit my Dad and surprise him on his birthday. Yes my hands go numb and the muscles in between my shoulder blades cramp up, but man up guys. I feel at one with this machine and that's what it is all about. Over the summer I have used the bike for my 1 hour commute to work and I am up to about 19K miles now. I have 1 ticket pending for "unsafe speed" as I wasn't caught on radar and failure to signal and I plan to argue both...wish me luck. In traffic, people just don't like being passed so when I slip in front of some crybabies they call the police. I don't split lanes unless the traffic is at or near standstill...I value my life more than being late I guess. I will be putting on a new rear tire...Conti, and I want to put on a new chain while I'm at it, but I'm not sure what's best for that.

Leave a comment:

• CHARLIE
    replied
    I have had the ZG double bubble on my 02 Zed for 10 years or so. The stock screen,I didn't know just how much buffeting it caused until
    I changed to the ZG. I'm 6'2" just for a height reference. I have too noticed that since then that helmet type has more effect
    with this than I though as well. I'll keep my ZG for now, I have the dark smoke color by the way, as seen in avatar pic.
    I still love the ole girl even though she turned 17 this year. When I get another bike in the future, I'll probably keep it just cause
    of the smile it puts on my old face, still. Best bike I've ever had.
    Last edited by CHARLIE; 05-25-2019, 12:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 9am53
    replied
    Thats funny, you just threw the guy for a loop looking for a screen for a tall rider lol. I'm tall as well and like the db. keep in mind Ive never had a "new" bike like the zzr so I may not be a good person to take advice from on this topic, I'm used to ujm's more or less.

Leave a comment:

• Moise
    replied
    Originally posted by 9am53 View Post
    based on the ZG pictures I have the double bubble for sure, ti has those creases
    I had the ZG double bubble on my Zed for a while, but found the buffeting too much and went back to the stock screen. I'm quite tall though.

But I have a different brand of double bubble on the R1 and am happy with it. The airflow coming off it is quite smooth and I can tuck in enough to get out of strong headwinds and rain.

Leave a comment:

• 9am53
    replied
    based on the ZG pictures I have the double bubble for sure, ti has those creases

Leave a comment:

• 9am53
    replied
    This I cant tell you. To make sure I wasnt a liar I tested it out yesterday on the ride home from work. FUlly tucked so I can just see out of my rf1000 (remember I'm fat too so I cant tuck as much as many of you) I get hit right on the back of my helmet, like where the "spoiler" is I can take a picture of the windscreen when I get home. I can say pretty confidentlly that its not a tall "touring" screen, it has 2 creases along the sides that allow for a ;curved screen area right in the middle of the bike if that makes sense. I am very happy wiht it. I can move around and take as much wind as I want and hide from the rain if I want as well, it gives me options.

Leave a comment:

• Moise
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Legg View Post

Dont mean to hijack just a quick one...is the zero gravity screen good? Im 6'5" also and the stock one puts the airflow right at helmet level if i try to tuck in for corners.
    The other question is which ZG screen. They make 3 different styles from memory.

Leave a comment:

• 9am53
    replied
    I like it, if I tuck I can get right out of the air, and sitting straight up its a nice not buffety.

Leave a comment:

• Ian Legg
    replied
    Originally posted by 9am53 View Post
    I thought I'd wade in because I love my new Zed :) for reference I'm 6'5" 350# The fairing is excellent. With regular jeans on at 40 degree farenheit weiather my legs are warm as can be and the ZG windscreen I have deflects air perfectly so I can comfortably ride wihtout buffetting and I can cruise without too much weight on my wrists. With stock exhaust it is quiet, very quiet, and the chrome quality on the mufflers is very good. I have a tiny bit of yellowing in one spot, buut otherwise its very nice and clean. I dont need earplugs anymore as the bike simply whirrs along. The headlights are stellar...I'm used to one anemic bulb in an 80s reflector...this is a massive step up. The mirrors are great, I can see everything behind me with just a tiny twitch of my elbow, great power and good mileage per tank to boot. I dont know why these bikes are so often forgotten about as "never rans" its such a great value for money in a super fun practical sports touring platform for the used motorcyle buyer
    Dont mean to hijack just a quick one...is the zero gravity screen good? Im 6'5" also and the stock one puts the airflow right at helmet level if i try to tuck in for corners.

Leave a comment:

• jmenon
    replied
    If you can find a great seat on ebay etc go for it. Mine had the corbin seat when I got it and I found it too hard. I sold it. Had a local auto upholster take the stock seat and change the foam shape height... and put in a gel pad i think i paid 150 or so...

Leave a comment:

• ZRX/ZZR
    replied
    Rage will get you every time.

Leave a comment:

• 9am53
    replied
    funny thing happened on friday. I dont know how but the keyed seat release cable popped off the little lever part on the key drum. this happens on every GD bike I have owned in the past 10 years. I always remove the key part and instaall a pull cord to remove the seat so it cant become locked on. well about a week before I got around to it it happened again lol.. in a fit of rage I ripped the corbin off the bike so now it doesnt have the tab on the front to hold it down and the pan is cracked near the back and the seat doesnt sit flush at the back. I will have to repair that before I go riding with the honey this weekend. thank goodnees its fiberglass.

Leave a comment:

• ZRX/ZZR
    replied
    Like my Corbin seat. Bike came with it, have the stock on the shelf, can't see much difference just looking at them, but no reason to take the Corbin off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X