Running problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running problem

I have a 2003 zzr 1200 with 8500 miles. I went for a 40 mile drive last week and ran great. Parked the bike. Following week went to start the bike and battery seemed weak as the motor did not want to turn over. I replaced with new battery and no change. I pulled the plugs and cylinders had a lot of gas in them. Pet Oct was left in the on position. I changed the oil, plugs and now the bike will pick up rpms will idling, runs very rich to burn my eyes. Carb bowls are clean and I replaced the orings around the long jet. Long jets seem to be clear and the deep jet right next to it seem to be clear as well. Cylinder two gets hot sometimes with the water on the exhaust test. I’m stumped! Any ideas will be appreciated. When you rev the motor up as well the rpm will stay up for a while until it comes down on its own. Recent new fuel, oil, and air filter.

Why is my fuel continuing to run into my cylinders? I did not adjust the cables when I removed the carbs. And if I need carb parts where do I get them?

Comment

My guess is that your carbie needles and seats needs cleaning or replacing. I think that they stay open letting fuel in.
      Somehow it is gravity feeding in, through your fuel pumps.
      Parts: Kawasaki, for needles and seats.
      I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Though it probably is a dirty or damaged float bowl valve, you should do one easy check: Remove the plug from the airbox drain tube to be sure it's empty.
        How To Cheat on Personality Tests
        1. When asked for word associations or comments about the world, give the most conventional, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian answer possible.

2. To settle on the most beneficial answer to any question, repeat to yourself:
        (a) I loved my father and my mother, but my father a little bit more.
        (b) I like things pretty well the way they are.
        (c) I never worry much about anything.
        (d) I don't care for books or music much.
        (e) I love my wife and children.
        (f) I don't let them get in the way of company work.
        From <cite>The Organization Man</cite> by William Hollingsworth Whyte, 1956

Comment

Common issue ..... replace all 4 float pins/ needles . Your float pins/ needles are failing to to stop your float bowl from overfilling , the pumps continue to pump fuel / gravity even will cause fuel to fill your cylinders. In turn, the fuel will wash past your rings and drop into your crank case . It will look like you have a bunch more oil in your crank case.... but in reality you have a pile of fuel mixed into your oil.... Net Net...DO NOT run your engine until you get new float pins/ needles..... the rubber tips break down and fail to seat properly....

All good.... then you are off to the races . 8500 miles ??? Crazy ...nice barn find

Comment

Your local Kawi dealer can supply .... looks like they may call them float valves ... lots of names .... pins or needles ...found this aftermarket ad too ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pk-New-Ca...odel%3AZZR1200

Comment

I should put a sticky topic on ZED carb issues. If your based in the US.... You will go through a lot of pain if you do this yourself. I have 30 years experience working on cars and motorcycles. I have rebuilt many Mc carbs. I would not mess with the ZED carbs. There are so many things that can make them not work well. Put them in a box send them to Raul at Wheelsmith racing in San Rafael CA. He will rebuild them and if you want install a factory pro jet kit... "the parent company is factory pro" he has done 100's of these cabs.. has a test engine.. all the parts to get them set up correctly. Your ZED will run like a raped ape.. after Raul works his magic. Cost about $250-400

Comment

Ill second Raul, the Cailifornia carb builder. Sev people have used him with good results. The ZZR carbs are finicky, once you park it long term they can begin to show up

Comment

I have carb kits coming and will update on progress. I am in the U.S. at 5000 feet elevation. Does anybody know how many turns out my A/F mixture screws should be turned out? And also are both valves suppose to be open and closed at the same time for all cylinders?

Comment

Also I’ve been reading about placing a shim or washer on the pilot jet. Should I do this?

Comment

I put a .020 shim under each needle and set the A/F to 2 1/4 turns out. It ran great. That was done in conjunction with installing Holeshot aftermarket mufflers.

Comment

I installed a Factory Pro jet kit, A/F out 2 1/4 turns, no shims under the needles.
                        It runs great, with Staintune mufflers.
                        Since putting on the unrestricted Black Widow headers, it runs even better.
                        I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

For everybody that responded with your knowledge and help, thank you so much. I use a rebuild kit and replaced everything. I cleaned and sprayed out every hole. It fired right up and smooth. All cylinders are firing now. I am at 5000 elevation and 2 1/2 turns out on the A/F screw was way too rich. I leaned out to a total of 1 full turn. I also shimmed the needle with 2 .015 washers. My throddle response quickened up and got more power on the bottom end. Thank you guys so much.

Comment

Outstanding!

Glad you got it sorted and hopefully received some great advice form the site!

Be safe.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Working...
                            X