Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying advice - 2016 R1 or something else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post

Gotcha. ZX10R is an awesome choice in that case (but maybe just glance over at the Aprilia RSV4 - that V4 exhaust note will very quickly make you forget about crossplane noises)
    The RSV is one hell of a bike.

Only issue is dealer support.

I have to take my bike 3 hours away should I have any needed repairs. On that note, I've seen quite a few guys over on the Aprilia forum that have had issues with some of the electronic packages. Also have had issues with the dash/immobilizer/key interface.

I haven't heard anything bad about the ZX 10 in those regards.

If you want something a little more exotic but not break the bank have you thought about a BMW S 1000 RR? I liked mine when I had it. Again, keep in mind dealer availability should you have issues.

Here is one in Georgia:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...-RR-5006541150

S. Carolina:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...-RR-5005996292

Here is a 2017 RSV 4 in Augusta which isn't too far from you:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ABS-5006645917

RACE ECU and pipe already installed. That's probably around $2,000.

Last edited by BIG O; 03-14-2019, 05:07 PM.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Zrx1200 ?
      I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Here is a brand new ZX 10 2016 in Clarksville, TN:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...10R-5003350791

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
          Zrx1200 ?
          Not a fan of the naked look/upright riding position.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
            Here is a brand new ZX 10 2016 in Clarksville, TN:

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...10R-5003350791
            Brand new. Wow!

Still strongly leaning towards this one: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ion-5005003408

ABS and the Kawasaki green/black KRT is sweet looking/sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Brand new. Wow!

Still strongly leaning towards this one: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ion-5005003408

ABS and the Kawasaki green/black KRT is sweet looking/sounding.
              Oh yeah, either bike is nice.

I believe the only difference is the color scheme? Or if the "base" model is ABS or not?

I can understand paying a bit more to get the color scheme you want. I know I've done it before too.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

Hopefully getting it before May?

Comment

Oh yeah, either bike is nice.

I believe the only difference is the color scheme? Or if the "base" model is ABS or not?

I can understand paying a bit more to get the color scheme you want. I know I've done it before too.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.

Hopefully getting it before May?
                Base model is non-ABS. In 2016 they offered:
                1. ZX-10R, no ABS
                2. ZX-10R, with ABS
                3. ZX-10R, KRT edition, no ABS
                4. ZX-10R, KRT edition, with ABS

Exactly. I want a color I'll like, and I like that over the black one.

Yes, the plan is to have the bike before May.

Comment

It's not "ZRX1200?", it's "ZRX1200!".That's my go-to bike when I want to leave the big horse in the garage. The ZRX1200 is the best of the best for whatever ails you, and if you shop around you can get a pristine one for about $4000. US.

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
                    Simple, A Gen 2 ZX14r, = Best street bike.

If you wanted to stay with a Super Sport "track bike", then the only answer is a ZX10

Only posers ride R1's

There's at least one R1 rider here ...
                    "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                    99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Mark, you really should try one. I'm on a couple of R1 forums and the current model sounds like a great ride as long as you're not tall, especially if you're planning to track it.

Do avoid the early ones though - the 2015 had a gearbox recall, and there's been ongoing changes to the engine each model year. A 2018 would be good if you can afford it, and has upgraded electronics.

Nothing wrong with a ZX10R but it doesn't have a crossplane engine and the electronics aren't as good.
                      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by ZRX/ZZR View Post
                        It's not "ZRX1200?", it's "ZRX1200!".That's my go-to bike when I want to leave the big horse in the garage. The ZRX1200 is the best of the best for whatever ails you, and if you shop around you can get a pristine one for about $4000. US.
                        If you like a standard with an upright seating position.

I had a ZRX 1100 back in the day.

Comment

Don’t listen to any of us. Buy whatever floats your boat. I do agree on compressive insurance coverage. I’ve always paid cash for my motorcycles and I’ve never purchased collision coverage. With the money I’ve saved over the years I could go purchase a couple of nice new bikes. If your insurance company finds out you wadded your bike on the track they will generally deny any collision claim you might make anyway.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
                            If your insurance company finds out you wadded your bike on the track they will generally deny any collision claim you might make anyway.
                            Not to worry..........................Mark wads his bikes on the sides of mountains!

Sorry Mark, had a moment of weakness

Comment

Originally posted by NotDeadYet View Post
                              Don’t listen to any of us. Buy whatever floats your boat. I do agree on compressive insurance coverage. I’ve always paid cash for my motorcycles and I’ve never purchased collision coverage. With the money I’ve saved over the years I could go purchase a couple of nice new bikes. If your insurance company finds out you wadded your bike on the track they will generally deny any collision claim you might make anyway.
                              Not to mention it'll affect my car insurance! I already pay enough for the 2018 Focus RS. I don't want to have to pay more.

Comment

Not to worry..........................Mark wads his bikes on the sides of mountains!

Sorry Mark, had a moment of weakness
                                It's been 9 years!

I don't count lowsiding the 636 in 2014 trying to follow Pete

Comment

Working...
                                X