Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying advice - 2016 R1 or something else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying advice - 2016 R1 or something else?

Hi guys! It's been a while.

In recent years, my motorcycle riding has diminished. My wife blames my problematic, slow bike. I blame that and lack of good storage for the bike. Although I have picked up other hobbies, like Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and the banjo, taking me away from riding.

I've solved the 2nd one with a two car garage -- oh yeah, I bought a house! Moved in last week.

I'm looking to solve the first problem with a newer bike. If you all had 10 grand to spend on a bike, which would you get?

The 2016 R1 is in my price range, and I like the color scheme of the anniversary edition: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ARY-5006103032

That listing has some issues -- it needs to be paid off before the title transfer.

Is there a better bike in that price range?

Simple, A Gen 2 ZX14r, = Best street bike.

If you wanted to stay with a Super Sport "track bike", then the only answer is a ZX10

Only posers ride R1's

Last edited by piken; 03-14-2019, 08:35 AM.
    Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Comment

The problem about asking these die hards, is we like the big comfy shit. And yeah, It'll rip your face off. But a liter bike is for kids man. Get comfy and haul ass. You can do both.
        KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Sorry Mark, you have to go with the ZX 10.

You can only change from Kawasaki if you go to an exotic bike.

We grandfathered Mehush in because he already had that CBR that he rode to death

I don't think you'd be happy on the ZX 14. Too big a bike for what you would use it for. That's my honest opinion.

I will say that I love the sound of the R 1's. That crossplane crank firing order is sweeeet!
          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
            Sorry Mark, you have to go with the ZX 10.

You can only change from Kawasaki if you go to an exotic bike.

We grandfathered Mehush in because he already had that CBR that he rode to death

I don't think you'd be happy on the ZX 14. Too big a bike for what you would use it for. That's my honest opinion.

I will say that I love the sound of the R 1's. That crossplane crank firing order is sweeeet!

Maybe this then? https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ion-5005003408

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
              Simple, A Gen 2 ZX14r, = Best street bike.

If you wanted to stay with a Super Sport "track bike", then the only answer is a ZX10

Only posers ride R1's

Too big, too much bike for this short guy. I want to be able to track it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                The problem about asking these die hards, is we like the big comfy shit. And yeah, It'll rip your face off. But a liter bike is for kids man. Get comfy and haul ass. You can do both.
                I'm young, still plenty of time to be a kid :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Now you're talking!

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

That looks good.

Looks like it hasn't been modded much and only 6,000 miles.

Think they'll go down to $10,000 though?

You keeping your 636? Selling it? Trading it in?

You also need to keep in mind insurance costs.

I'm sure the insurance is quite a bit more than your 636.
                    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

HOLYSHIT NO!

The new R1 is a torture rack, has recalls on transmission, and is in no way a motorcycle you're going to want to ride around just for fun. Plus it's insanely bad value compared to just about everything else out there.

1. If you must have a litre bike, any year GSXR1000 from 2005 until now is better, cheaper, comfier, and more street-friendly than any R1

2. The mid-2000s ZX10 is an awesome crazed maniac of a bike, and if you can stand the ergos you can get them half the price of that R1

3. Suzuki GSX-S1000 is basically a streetable GSXR1000 K5. They're practically free new in showrooms today, and you should strongly consider it instead of any litre bike

4. ZX14R, Aprilia Tuono, Ducati 899 Panigale, Triumph Speed Triple, KTM Super Duke, Hayabusa, BMW K1300S, Aprilia RSV4 exist and are much better street bikes

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post

That looks good.

Looks like it hasn't been modded much and only 6,000 miles.

Think they'll go down to $10,000 though?

You keeping your 636? Selling it? Trading it in?

You also need to keep in mind insurance costs.

I'm sure the insurance is quite a bit more than your 636.
                        I've previously/repaired wrecked the 636, and it has nearly 40k miles, so it's not even worth the hassle of trying to sell. Probably use it for commuting/puttering around town and save the larger bike for the mountains.

As far as insurance goes, I'm just gonna get liability/uninsured motorists. The relatively low cost of the bike isn't worth the 2k or so a year it'll cost for comprehensive/collision.

Comment

Originally posted by YYCZED View Post
                          HOLYSHIT NO!

The new R1 is a torture rack, has recalls on transmission, and is in no way a motorcycle you're going to want to ride around just for fun. Plus it's insanely bad value compared to just about everything else out there.

1. If you must have a litre bike, any year GSXR1000 from 2005 until now is better, cheaper, comfier, and more street-friendly than any R1

2. The mid-2000s ZX10 is an awesome crazed maniac of a bike, and if you can stand the ergos you can get them half the price of that R1

3. Suzuki GSX-S1000 is basically a streetable GSXR1000 K5. They're practically free new in showrooms today, and you should strongly consider it instead of any litre bike

4. ZX14R, Aprilia Tuono, Ducati 899 Panigale, Triumph Speed Triple, KTM Super Duke, Hayabusa, BMW K1300S, Aprilia RSV4 exist and are much better street bikes

Thanks for the input!

Most of those are naked/semi-naked bikes. Not a fan of that look/riding position.

As mentioned before, ZX14R is too big for me. Hayabusa and the K1300S are a no for similar reasons.

I'm not sure why I would go for the 899; it doesn't have significantly more hp than the 636.

RSV4 seems interesting but most are either out of my price range or too far away.

Re: mid-2000s ZX10, I'm looking for something much newer than my '06 636.

2015+ ZX-10R seems to be the ticket so far.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Most of those are naked/semi-naked bikes. Not a fan of that look/riding position.

As mentioned before, ZX14R is too big for me. Hayabusa and the K1300S are a no for similar reasons.

I'm not sure why I would go for the 899; it doesn't have significantly more hp than the 636.

RSV4 seems interesting but most are either out of my price range or too far away.

Re: mid-2000s ZX10, I'm looking for something much newer than my '06 636.

2015+ ZX-10R seems to be the ticket so far.

Gotcha. ZX10R is an awesome choice in that case (but maybe just glance over at the Aprilia RSV4 - that V4 exhaust note will very quickly make you forget about crossplane noises)

Comment

As far as insurance goes, I'm just gonna get liability/uninsured motorists. The relatively low cost of the bike isn't worth the 2k or so a year it'll cost for comprehensive/collision.
                              As long as you don't wad it up will probably be OK then.

I presumed you were going to finance the bike so would then have to have the full coverage.

Since you apparently aren't then liability will definitely save you money.

Comment

Working...
                              X