Helmets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmets

I got a Scorpion EXO-R2000 about a month ago. It was going to be my extra helmet, or just a change of mood.
    I have been running an Arai Quantum 2 for several years and have liked it very much. I mainly went with the Scorpion
    due to price, quality, and reputation. Don't get me wrong the Arai is quality stuff for sure but damn, $$$$$$$$$
    I was able to buy the Scorpion used (as I did the Arai before), purchase a new liner and cheekpads and went from there.
    Neither one had been worn but a couple of times, not a scratch or mark anywhere. I am starting to like the Scorpion
    a little better I think due to hardly any or no buffeting at speed and quieter too. ( I wear earplugs too, always have)
    I have the double windscreen but I'm 6'2" so buffeting can be an issue. As far as sizing, I had to go with an XXL
    instead of XL in the Scorpion, even though for 45+ years I have always run XL with other brands.Comfort seems about
    the same with either one too. I'll kick back later on in the months with further reviews if anyone cares.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
    but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Yeah, Scorpion seems to be making a good product nowadays.

Or at least they have some quality helmets available in their line up that they didn't use to carry back in the day.

I typically wear HJC as it fits the shape of my head.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

How's the air flow in the Scorpion? I hear it's pretty great.

I like my current LS2, but it definitely sucks for air flow.

I've been looking at the Shark Evoline 3 recently. I'm a fan of modulars and will not buy another helmet that doesn't have an integrated sun visor. The Shark has a solid safety rating and the Euro version has the quick release buckle, because D-rings drive me crazy.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/shark-evoline-3/

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Air flow is good. Arai I have isn’t that good, but ok. Scorpion has so many holes I’m surprised it doesn’t whistle going down the road.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
        but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

Originally posted by CHARLIE View Post
          Air flow is good. Arai I have isn’t that good, but ok. Scorpion has so many holes I’m surprised it doesn’t whistle going down the road.
          Nice... The only air I get into my LS2 is when I'm staring straight at the ground.... No bueno.
          “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I have a LS2 for the track and a Shoei GT for touring. I love the expanded view size out of my LS2 on the track and the comfort, plus the retractable sun visor, of the Shoe GT on trips. It is nice not having to change out the visor on trips, after the sun goes down.
            My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
            http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Here is what I'm currently wearing: HJC RPHA ST

It is light and has the integrated flip down sun shield.

I had recently bought a Shoei RF 1200 but the rear lower portion would hit the back of the collar on my jacket which would tilt the helmet forward. I'd have to continuously push the chin back up to keep the helmet in the correct spot on my head.

A PITA to say the least.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I have a Shark Spartan Carbon and it's the best helmet I've owned by far. The only criticism I have is that I have to adjust the shield occasionally because of whistling noise, and sometimes I rip half my face off when I forget to retract the chin skirt before removing the helmet. Otherwise the comfort, the integral sun visor, and the awesome carbon finish are fantastic.

[QUOTE=ramblin66;n1196711]How's the air flow in the Scorpion? I hear it's pretty great.

I like my current LS2, but it definitely sucks for air flow.

I've been looking at the Shark Evoline 3 recently. I'm a fan of modulars and will not buy another helmet that doesn't have an integrated sun visor. The Shark has a solid safety rating and the Euro version has the quick release buckle, because D-rings drive me crazy.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/shark-evoline-3/

Comment

I went helmet shopping about 6 months back. I had recently purchased an HJC CL17 but that helmet just did not fit my head correctly, w/pressure points everywhere. That was surprising cuz HJC has been my go-to helmet manufacturer for years,

So after much research, I picked/bought an LS2 Breaker. Beautiful helmet, well made, solid but I could not get use to the chin strap mechanism- it dug into my neck. I also felt the helmet was undersized, even though I've worn a 2XL for decades.

That sucker went back and I ordered another Scorpion, as I've had great success w/them in the past too. This time it was an EXO R710 in 3XL. Helmet fits great, supremely comfortable on my melon head and an enormous airflow like I've never experienced before. 'Course, w/airflow comes noise so it's not necessarily a quiet helmet but I've had worse and always wear earplugs anyway so it's not a huge issue for me. Scorpion for me from here out, no doubt.

http://scorpionusa.com/products/helm...710-focus.html

Comment

Forgot to mention I purchased the helmets thru Revzilla. Their return policy is fantastic. Zero issues/zero costs w/returns so long as the helmet wasn't worn for a ride (although test fitment was fine). To top it off, my Scorpion had some minor defects in the graphics. I photographed and sent pics to Revzilla; they offered a full refund w/return or partial reimbursement. The defects were strictly cosmetic so I opted for the reimbursement. They refunded me 20% of the total cost, and no argument over any of it. I've purchased from Revzilla before and always been satisfied but now I'm a Revzilla customer for life.
                    Lee

Comment

Originally posted by spectreman View Post
                      Forgot to mention I purchased the helmets thru Revzilla. Their return policy is fantastic. Zero issues/zero costs w/returns so long as the helmet wasn't worn for a ride (although test fitment was fine). To top it off, my Scorpion had some minor defects in the graphics. I photographed and sent pics to Revzilla; they offered a full refund w/return or partial reimbursement. The defects were strictly cosmetic so I opted for the reimbursement. They refunded me 20% of the total cost, and no argument over any of it. I've purchased from Revzilla before and always been satisfied but now I'm a Revzilla customer for life.
                      Lee
                      That's fairly awesome. Thanks.

Comment

I'm up here in the Great White North "Ottawa, Canada" and just purchased an HJC IS-17 Arcus yesterday from fortnine.ca which is a Canadian online retailer. Got the helmet for $159.99 Canadian which equates to roughly $120-$125 US with free shipping. I've never had a helmet with a secondary built-in tinted visor so not sure if i will like that or not.

Previously, I had an HJC AC-12 Animus which was excellent bang for the buck and used as my daily "quick ride & go-to-work" helmet.

Still have my "all time favourite"... the Shoei RF1000 Picotte 3 which I used to wear on my ZX12R for long rides. I'll never ever sell the Shoei... thing is a piece of artwork.

Will give my thoughts on the HJC after the snow goes away. Heard decent reviews about comfort and noise which is subjective at best.

Attached Files

Comment

Shoei fan here. They just seem to fit my melon. I’m currently running the X12 after using a couple of RF1000s one of which saved my head in a bad crash. I’m kind of lusting the new Shoei GT-air. I like the idea of the integrated visor. I have tried ot on and it has the same Shoei fit I like. Maybe it’s time for a new lid.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Working...
                          X