A new partner for the ZZR 1100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new partner for the ZZR 1100

A new addition to the Kawasaki Stable. 20 years apart and both fantastic fun!!
    ZZR Riders don't die, we just reach light speed!
    ZZRRIDER.COM

You are going to LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!

Well worth the upgrade.

Give us your thoughts on the comparo when you get some seat time.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
      You are going to LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!

Well worth the upgrade.

Give us your thoughts on the comparo when you get some seat time.
      Dittos on that! More pics please!

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
      ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Looks like a proud Kawi daddy

Comment

Ok, I have now had the ZX for a week and I have ridden it everyday commuting and open road riding. My initial impressions on the differences are these.

Handling: No surprise here, the ZX is much sharper and turn is quick. The first time I took it through the bends I found my self turning too sharply. The ZZR is set up well with Hyperpro both front and rear and handles well but there is much more effort required to change direction. It is fiited with brand new Conti Attack 2 Evo tyres and what a revelation they are, possibly the best tyres I have come across for grip and feeling in the dry. Have not tried them in the wet yet. They are far better that the Angel GT tyres on the ZZR that I dont really get on with. They will slide when lent over on a bend when you cross lines in the road.

Brakes: Again, as listed in my blog I have had alot of work done on the ZZR and two finger braking is enough to lock the front wheel but the ZX brakes are even more powerful with better feel at the lever. They really let you know what is happening.

Wind protection: The ZZR is the clear winner here. With the ZZR at high speed you only have to lower your head by an inch or two to get out of the air flow completely. The ZX requires you to get much lower to get the same effect. This may sound a small thing but in reality it is important over longer distances. A double bubble may well fix the issue

Performance: The ZZR is a very fast bike, that is for sure however the extra power of the ZX becomes apparent as the revs increase. What I have noticed is that I am traveling at the same speed on the road with the ZX as I am with the ZZR. (I do ride very quickly anyway so perhaps not surprising)

Fuel consumption: Ha! Ha! The ZX drinks much more fuel, that of course is down to the riders right hand but hey, you dont ride this sort of bike to save fuel.

Weight: The real revelation: The weight distribution on thew ZX is amazing.Pushing the ZZR is a real effort, it is never easy to push back etc. The ZX feels so light that is never difficult to move it around. It is as if you are sat "in" the bike not on it. Quick changes of direction require much less effort on the ZX and it feels more similar to the ZX6R i had before than the ZZR

City riding: You might say that these bikes are not for city riding but I disagree. I am from a generation where the bike was used for everything and I use these two the same. Both are well able to wind in and out of heavy traffic and are fine. The cooling system on the ZX is really good. Even in 90+ weather and stationary in traffic in a heat trap, the temp never goes above 104.

Instrumentation: Of course the ZX displays a multitude of information on the LCD display. I am sure there must b setting telling you when to stop for a toilet break!!! I am sure people really like the display and for sure it is helpful but the temptation to look at it when riding is not so good. The sun shines on to the display and the dials making them hard to read. I will have to get a dark screen. The instrumentation on the ZZR is brilliant, all the info you need clearly displayed in big dials. Information can be taken in in a fraction of a second.

Power modes and KTRC: I have played around with these. Of course there is plenty of power on the low power setting but I have found that the engine is just not responsive enough. I would say the ZZR engine is better, more responsive and fun compared to the low power mode on the ZX. High power mode is very different. Throttle response is much better, the bike feels like it should and the smile comes back. I am not sure there are any condition where a rider would be better off using low power mode.

I have played with the KRTC and to be honest I have not noticed it in operation. Maybe a lifetime of riding the most powerful bikes of their time has taught me to use the throttle in a way that does not throw me on my ass. Dont get me wrong, I nail the bike but I also dont crack open the throttle immediately after an apex just to check if traction control is working. As an anti wheelie device, it is good. I dont do wheelies for fun, it does nothing for me so of course a bike with over 210hp need something to keep the wheel on the ground. I have it selected to the number 1 position and cant see any reason to take it to zero on the roads.

To sum up I love it!!! I believe the days of bikes like the ZZR, ZX and Busa are numbered because of emissions. Manufacturers will go to smaller cc with supercharging and later electric. Having ridden these types of bikes all of my career I wanted to make sure I was there at the end. I will never sell either the ZZR or the ZX. To me they are the best of their generation and I am lucky to have both and enjoy them in different ways. One thing they both have is the ability to make you say "F...... Hell!!" when you twist the throttle. Biking Heaven
          ZZRRIDER.COM

Comment

In regard to the power settings, I had a 2008 model and didn't have any "settings". However, Kawasaki had limited when the secondary butterflies would open up and they wouldn't open instantly.. I was able to remove the screws that prohibited them from opening instantly and it transformed the bike.

I don't know what year of bike you have so you may not have that issue.

Hopefully some members with the newer models will chime in and expand on my comment.

Otherwise, your observations are what every other ZX 14 owner states.

Anyway, congrats! Glad you are loving it.
            I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Used the "Low Power" setting for a month or so after getting my '17 ZX14R SE. I use it regularly when commuting in the heavy rains or nasty wetness. Traction control is either on 2 or 1 during summer/hot days and 3 on the worst of the wet/windy nasty days. Probably a mind set more than anything else. Ride smart and within your own limits. In the first 3 or 4 months I was afraid of switching traction levels because I just simply didn't know what each would do or how it would really react. Have only felt the KTRC kick in a few times and have only had the ABS once that I'm firmly aware of.

Heavy traffic will make the forearms throb and your hands tired from clutch work, but again, subjective and learning the bike/throttle/brakes/etc got better with time on the saddle. Less hand/arm fatigue as time progressed.

Hated the factory tires (Bridgestone S20R I think, don't recall) in the wet, but were more than sufficient for my riding ability in the dry. Switched with about 4500 miles over to the Pirelli Angel GT's just like I was using on my old ZZR. New set just arrived yesterday (second set of GT's) and will put them on this weekend. Expecting to get back to riding daily in the next week or two, weather provided of course. Have 11,8XX on the clock now, had to stop completely in early Nov do to work, travel, and so forth.

Good observations, and always good to compare experiences.

Comment

Yes the 14R is such a beast, it's unreal. So easy to ride smooth, but will rip your arms off if you want to twist and hold for a second. In anger, even short shifting results in tire smoke or wheelies, or both with some TC intervention.
                KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Ok, Rode the ZZR 1100 today after riding the ZX14 for 8 days in a row. What did I notice? Well, although I thought the ZZR brakes were good they are no where near as good as the ZX. The ZZR felt small when I got on it.. On the open road I was reminded how smooth the ZZR is and also how great it sounds. Power delivery is very different. Not worse, just different On the open road I got up to 200kph, Just the same as I had done on the ZX. Mmm!. My wife asked me an interesting question. "Which do you prefer" Bloody hell, what a question! My reply was, my head says the ZX , my heart says the ZZR. Both are brilliant in their own way
                  ZZRRIDER.COM

Comment

Hmmm, I wouldn't have thought that the ZX would be just as smooth if not smoother on the open road than the ZZR.

As for sound, put a set of pipes on the ZX and you will probably change your mnd. Or, leave it stock and have a 200 HP stealth fighter.

As for size, I guess the ZX 14 does feel longer than the ZZR. Hell, it might be. Although the ZX SEEMS to sit quite a bit lower. Probably just overall ergonomics.

I've never ridden a ZZR 1100 and am basing my opinions from riding a ZZR 1200.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying both of your bikes.

So, here's a question for thought:

If you could only have one of them which would it be and why??

Comment

Hi Big O,
                      Let me answer you points in order.
                      My ZZr 1100 is sooooo smooth it really is noticeable. At lower revs the ZX is smoother but as the revs increase the ZZR is smoother
                      Yes you are correct regarding the after market exhaust but both bikes are standard and I am assessing as so
                      It is no so much a matter of size, just weight distribution. The ZX is much better
                      Your last question is much more difficult to answer. IF both bikes were new, without the 25 year age gap, then I would take the ZZR. Why? Because I know exactly what is happening on the bike. I know what it is "thinking".I understand when it is near the limit, it tells me. On the ZZR I can race sports bikes around the twisties and always come first. Perfect unison. Of course, those sport bike riders maybe rubbish but he!l I will take it. I hope to reach that level with the ZX but time will tell.
                      Last edited by MichaelZZR; 02-24-2019, 10:32 AM.
                      ZZRRIDER.COM

Comment

So you maybe feel more of a "buzz" at higher RPM's on the ZX?

As for sound, I presume it is actually the sound of the engine mechanicals or howl of the ram air/carbs opening at WOT that you like better?

Understand weight distribution is better.

How about if you could have gotten a ZX 25 years ago?

Comment

No problem.

Wasn't meaning to sound confrontational, was just enjoying the discussion of the two bikes as you were.

I'm all about whatever works for whomever.

Cheers!

Comment

Big O
                            Its all about the riding!! I often think how lucky I am to have been on the back of a Honda 750 4 in 1969 and also the back of a Kawasaki Z1 in 1973. To have ridden all the famous 2 strokes in the 70's and still be "Hammering the throttle" today. I am a lucky chap! "Let the good times Roll"
                            ZZRRIDER.COM

Comment

Working...
                            X