Battery charger/maintainer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery charger/maintainer

Went to give the 14R a start yesterday. Dash came up normal, and when I hit the go button, she didn't even bother to rollover a full turn. Scrolled to battery page and it said less than 11volts. This is the first time I've ever thought of, or came to the realization, I need a charger/maintainer. Since the truck is going to body shop soon, and when it comes back I'll be working engine/trans install and all the electrical, it may benefit to have something for that as well.

So what say the masses here. Is anyone using a charger/maintainer for both motorcycle and car/truck, or does it not work that way? I know Battery Tender brand by deltron is supposed to be a great thing, but if a battery is dead, or close to it, the 1.5A isn't enough to raise the dead, on a bike or car. Would like something that will take care of both motorcycle and truck. Suggestions are much appreciated or even insight helping me to make a decision.

Cause of the low battery is two fold. First is probably because I didn't have the heater on in the garage. Second is I likely left the grip heaters on till they automatically shutoff when I parker her back on Nov 4th. I know better, and make the effort but I'm betting I didn't follow through this time around.

I use a "Battery Tender" (Deltran) on all of my bikes as well as my Sunday driver car. Works great. I have used it to resurrect batteries (motorcycle)that I thought were dead and needed replacing. However, it took a while to get them back to charged. I didn't check the batteries to see how far gone they were so maybe they weren't completely toast??? Also, it was winter so it didn't keep me from riding to see if they would actually recharge from dead on the Tender.

11 volts is pretty low and typically means the battery needs replacing. However, if you aren't in a hurry to ride you can hook it up to a Tender for a few days and see if you get any results. You could also "jump" it using a vehicle battery. Be sure NOT to do it while the vehicle is running! You could possibly fry some electrical components on the bike.

Your best bet and for peace of mind would be to go ahead and buy a new battery. I use Yuasa replacement batteries in my bikes and have had no issues. Some people like to use the AGM or gel cell batteries. Also get a "Battery Tender" as you mentioned. The Tender will come with a lead that at one end will attach to the posts of your battery and then have an SAE plug at the other end that attaches to the Tender. Takes all of 2 seconds to plug it into your bike.

The Tenders come in individual or multiple configurations. Depends on how close together the batteries to be charged are.

I use a dual bank charger for my bikes ( they are parked right next to each other) and a single bank for my car.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask any other questions if needed.

Mike

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

I find Battery Tender brand to be adequate for batteries that are not completely dead or damaged.
      Dead or damaged are headed for replacement so, i don't worry about trying to resurrect them to get a few more months of "maybe this will start" out of them.

YMMV.

Also.... I find the BT tenders last about 4-5 years for me. My bike on the tender whenever it's in the garage, summer or winter. I had at BT croak on me at about 4 years and they replaced it free of charge with the newer model. Just keep a copy of your receipt. I scan mine and keep it on the computer. Same for WallWorld battery receipts.
      “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

+3 on the Battery Tender - I use the JR. 12vdc @ 750ma they make them up to like 5amps.

The JR is only $20 free shipping Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1547669603&sr=8-3&keywords=battery%2Btender%2Bjr&th=1

Last edited by piken; 01-16-2019, 02:20 PM.
        Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

We ran tenders on the Jet Skis we had (6 of them) I really didn't have any more longevity out of the batteries, as far as years of service.
          I never had any on the bikes I've had either. But, mine never really sat more than a few weeks at a time either. Plus extreme temps not
          an issue either because they were always garage kept, but not always climate controlled garages either. I would think that if you live
          where it's cold and it sits a while it would make a difference.My ole ZED always got cranked and ran no matter being ridden or not.
          Up north, where you guys have no choice but to sit idle for weeks, it just seems like a good investment to have tenders.
          "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
          but sometimes it just needs a mod"

Comment

I have the small sized battery tender, and move it around the garage as stuff sits. I have it wired to my heated gear plug, for the bikes.
            KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

I have used the Battery Tender Jr for 10 yrs all winter on and the Zed started every spring without drama. Get one. nbk

Comment

After looking at the offerings from Battery Tender, I will likely be going with the BT Plus. I'm assuming it will work for both car/truck and motorcycle, obviously moving it around as necessary. The ad on amazon shows it as not recommend for car/truck but that is what a majority of the reviews are for. I'll need to get a little creative with terminal wiring since I've got the heated grips direct to battery. Not to terribly concerned, should be able to get it. Also interesting not many others with positive reviews for other brands.

Comment

Originally posted by bretb View Post
                  After looking at the offerings from Battery Tender, I will likely be going with the BT Plus. I'm assuming it will work for both car/truck and motorcycle, obviously moving it around as necessary. The ad on amazon shows it as not recommend for car/truck but that is what a majority of the reviews are for. I'll need to get a little creative with terminal wiring since I've got the heated grips direct to battery. Not to terribly concerned, should be able to get it. Also interesting not many others with positive reviews for other brands.
                  Just checking that when you say "connected directly", you do mean through a fuse?

I'd suggest separate tenders for each vehicle as the motorbike ones are pretty cheap.
                  "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                  99 Yamaha R1

Comment

I have my car and one bike plugged in with this:

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Two bikes parked side by side with this:

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                        I have my car and one bike plugged in with this:

Holy Cow, that thing looks huge!!!

Comment

I also use one of the small battery tender units on my bikes and boat when they have sat for an extended period of inactivity. Always seems to do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post

Holy Cow, that thing looks huge!!!
                            That's what she said!

Comment

$5 and I'll show you mine!
                              KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X