Oil part 2.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil part 2.

Ok, so by a vast majority, most z riders use Rotella T6, seems to be good bang for the $$.

I considered using Amsoil recommended by a friend, but I personally think it's way overpriced.

So....using the Rotella T6, what is the average milleage between oil change?

I change mine every 5000 miles. I'm sure you could go longer intervals and be fine. JMHO.

Amsoil is waaaaay expensive IMO. Especially if you are going to change oil every 5000 miles.
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Yep 5000 is good, just like anything depends on how hard you ride and what conditions you ride in. Even under heavy abuse the Rotella will be good for at least 5000. It is good in big high compression turbo diesel engines for 5000 - 7500 miles. I know guys that run it in tractor trailer rigs for 10,000 miles.
      sigpic

Stupid people can be dangerous in large groups

Comment

5K miles / 8,000 km
        “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by eyesonly View Post
          Yep 5000 is good, just like anything depends on how hard you ride and what conditions you ride in. Even under heavy abuse the Rotella will be good for at least 5000. It is good in big high compression turbo diesel engines for 5000 - 7500 miles. I know guys that run it in tractor trailer rigs for 10,000 miles.
          Actually, tractor trailer rigs usually only change the oil every 30 - 50k miles,

I don't recommend that for a motorcycle!
          "If you didn't see me, I didn't do it! And even if you got pictures, I will swear they were PhotoShopped!"

I meant to behave but there were too many other options

Comment

I'm ashamed to say. ..I put around 1000 or so miles per year, and change it at the start of the riding season....March maybe?

dinky,
            Last edited by dinkyguitar; 10-03-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I use Penrite (Australian brand) 15W50 Diesel engine oil. Probably similar to the Rotella. It is semi-synthetic, and has no friction modifiers (so good for wet clutches), as well as a higher zinc content. I change every 6000km as per the book although could stretch it out.
              Last edited by BillDownUnder; 10-03-2018, 06:25 PM.
              I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Rotella & a Wix filter every 2500 miles.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
                  Rotella & a Wix filter every 2500 miles.
                  Now you see, in that instance, using synthetic is a waste. If the bike is properly ridden, a high quality dyno oil would do the job.

I'm aiming for synthetic purely on the fact that, I can stretch my oil changes longer compared to dyno.

But I respect your philosphy...

Comment

I run 15-40 non synth. I'll go between 3 and 5K. The book calls for every 7.5, if I remember. About the time they want the plugs "checked."
                    I haven't looked at the Connie plugs yet, at 45,000.
                    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jeepee27 View Post

Now you see, in that instance, using synthetic is a waste. If the bike is properly ridden, a high quality dyno oil would do the job.

I'm aiming for synthetic purely on the fact that, I can stretch my oil changes longer compared to dyno.

But I respect your philosphy...
                      I put lotsa miles on my bikes, and they keep on running great. 112k on my 2002 and it was on the original clutch.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                      ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Working...
                      X