Oily plug change....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeepee27 View Post
    Not worried, concerned, this is a annoying flaw....
    You must have a pretty smooth life, leaky plug well gaskets WAY down my list of annoying things in my life.

Low mileage or not, bike's "15 years old", maybe trade in for new bike with warranty and leave the annoying stuff
    to the mechanics.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post

You must have a pretty smooth life, leaky plug well gaskets WAY down my list of annoying things in my life.

Low mileage or not, bike's "15 years old", maybe trade in for new bike with warranty and leave the annoying stuff
      to the mechanics.

Whatever....

Comment

Mine have never leaked. Bike ('02) now has 135000km. Gaskets have been replaced 3 times, twice for valve adjustments, once when I did the top-end overhaul. No big deal. Installing Kwick's "No-Flow" plugs probably helped along the way as well.
        My ZRX ('01) has the same gaskets, similar deal, no leaks. 146000km.
        I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

A couple of mine leaked with the original gaskets. Replaced them when I did the valves. Never had a problem after that.

Comment

My 2003 ZZR1200 never leaked, but I did replace all gaskets during each valve check. Ditto with my Zx-14s.
            My ol' ZZR1200 pics:
            http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=156883

Comment

Originally posted by mehush View Post
              A couple of mine leaked with the original gaskets. Replaced them when I did the valves. Never had a problem after that.
              Glad to read helpful posts thanks for sharing..have to go trough the typical uneducated answers which are totally useless..but that's the web for you.

Ill change the gasket set..and maybe shim the cover fasteners to squash the gasket a little more.

Comment

Whatever ......
                I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepee27

Glad to read helpful posts thanks for sharing..have to go trough the typical uneducated answers which are totally useless..but that's the web for you.

Ill change the gasket set..and maybe shim the cover fasteners to squash the gasket a little more.
                  Not sure I saw any "uneducated answers", just people replying to your post and trying to help.

Edit: Hmm, it did get a little feisty.

I doubt you'll need to shim anything, just replace the gaskets. One of mine was weeping a little when I did the valves at about 25,000 miles and I just replaced them all to be sure.

Last edited by Moise; 09-14-2018, 03:21 PM.
                  "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                  99 Yamaha R1

Comment

If my replacement plugwell gaskets had leaked then I would have shimmed them too. Not a bad idea if you can come up with a good method to do so.

I wouldn't worry about any responses that seem less than kind. Maybe keep in mind that the membership here are longtime ZZR fans, and any criticism of the bike will likely be met with a defensive response. I had mine for 68K miles and loved it. The bike does have flaws though, plugwell gaskets being one. Another is that it is particular about front tires. Many, including myself, were very put off by front end wobble, most notable when slowing down through the 45mph and down. A lot of guys tried fork braces and other methods to try to correct it. For me, the answer was in the tire. Started using supersport tires in place of ST tires of the day and all was well. Another issue was the stock seat. Some loved it, many more hated it. Corbin to the rescue for me. Another, blown main fuse. Mine did it twice. Never found a problem, just a new fuse and off I went. It's not a perfect bike, but maybe the best I ever owned. Hope your relationship turns into a love affair too.

Comment

I seemed to miss most of the usual problems, but it did take some effort to get the front brakes how I wanted them. Yes, the seat is uncomfortable, plus you tend to slide forward.

I would definitely recommend a fork brace if it doesn't have one - I fitted a Greg Couch. Not sure if they're still available though.
                      Last edited by Moise; 09-14-2018, 03:51 PM.
                      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Working...
                      X