Oily plug change....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oily plug change....

My valve cover is leaking around the plugwell...is this a typical problem on the zzr 1200?

I found about 2 TBL spoons of oil in each well...worth the bother to change the gasket?

Thanks for your help and advice...

When was the last time the valves where checked/adjusted?

Good time to check/adjust valves and replace the gasket set.

There's a valve cover gasket and a single gasket for each plug well

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post
      When was the last time the valves where checked/adjusted?

Good time to check/adjust valves and replace the gasket set.

There's a valve cover gasket and a single gasket for each plug well
      I got the bike 2 weeks ago, low milleage unit, will see to it, thanks.

Comment

If you've gotten rid of the "octopus" stuff and have installed some block-off plates on the valve cover, it is worth getting this, in addition to a new gasket set.
        I have these in my ZZR1200, and ZRX1200.
        I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BillDownUnder View Post
          If you've gotten rid of the "octopus" stuff and have installed some block-off plates on the valve cover, it is worth getting this, in addition to a new gasket set.
          I have these in my ZZR1200, and ZRX1200.
          Educate me...

Comment

https://zzrbikes.com/forum/bikes/zzr...-s-the-benefit

http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/showthre...off-plates-why

Comment

Ok, thanks, but I'm searching to eliminate the oil down the plugwell...

Comment

Gaskets.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, those are known to leak and foul the plugs. You'll need 5 gaskets total.
                    KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

The valve cover will have to come off to replace the gaskets so it would be a good time to do a valve check. It would be a good idea to have some shims on hand when you start the project.

The oil in the plugwells is not a mechanical issue until it causes the plug to short, which has happened to a few members.

Also, when you get your first look at the cam lobes you likely want to puke. Not to worry. Many a member here, including myself, have run their bikes for 100K miles with the cams looking like crap w/o a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                        Yeah, those are known to leak and foul the plugs. You'll need 5 gaskets total.
                        Ok, If i get it right, with age the gaskets fail?

If I replace the gaskets, sooner or later the same problem will turn the corner on me again?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepee27 View Post

Ok, If i get it right, with age the gaskets fail?

If I replace the gaskets, sooner or later the same problem will turn the corner on me again?
                          Mine never leaked and I replaced them anyhow when doing the valves at 30k

No big deal, just pull valve cover, check valves to see if in spec, adjust valves if needed, replace cover and plug well gaskets, done.

Not sure why you are worried about them leaking again in the future? If they do, then they would need replacing.

Not a big deal.

Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

Comment

They may have improved over time... My originals leaked. Lots of them did.
                            KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by piken View Post

Mine never leaked and I replaced them anyhow when doing the valves at 30k

No big deal, just pull valve cover, check valves to see if in spec, adjust valves if needed, replace cover and plug well gaskets, done.

Not sure why you are worried about them leaking again in the future? If they do, then they would need replacing.

Not a big deal.

Not worried, concerned, this is a annoying flaw....It's the first bike I owned with such an issue...

Comment

Working...
                              X