Got the bike shipped to Texas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the bike shipped to Texas

So both of my bikes showed up yesterday. The ZZR unfortunately needs a new back tire. Not the fault of the shipper, before I left California to drive here, I found I had a nail in the tire and a slow leak. So I took it out and tried the 'mushroom plug kit' that had been under the seat for the last three years.

What a piece of crap. It made the whole thing so much worse that even when I went back to the old 'ropes' and used TWO of them, the tire still leaked (just a lot slower now).

So I need to take off the rear tire and the front, drive down to Plano, and see if the Cycle Gear there has tires. Not sure if I'll get that done this week, or sometime later on. Still got a lot of stuff to move. The old house will go up for Sale around the end of September.

People are definitely a lot nicer here in Texas. I'm really glad I moved.
    Mostly Stock '03
    Support a starving author!
    www.vanstry.net

Good to hear you’re adapting nicely to the new locale.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Congrats on your successful escape Banner, where did you end up in Texas

Comment

Welcome to Texas, Banner! We ride up that way frequently (Forestburg, Tioga, Gunter, Westin, Celina). Hopefully meet up for a ride with you soon!
        2002 ZZR1200, 2007 VTX1800C, 1992 Stealth Twin Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by JimJ View Post
          Welcome to Texas, Banner! We ride up that way frequently (Forestburg, Tioga, Gunter, Westin, Celina). Hopefully meet up for a ride with you soon!
          Watch out for this Jim character - he doesn't post much.

Welcome to Tejas, Banner. I'm 5 hours away, but maybe we can do some riding when it cools off in Fall.

Lots of good roads SW of Fort Worth.

Please think about joining us for a long weekend ride in SE OK & NE Arkansas in October as well.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
          ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Originally posted by JeffS View Post
            Congrats on your successful escape Banner, where did you end up in Texas
            Van Alstyne, it's about 60 miles north of Dallas, near Sherman. Right now I'm trying to get a fence contractor so I can fence around the house, so I don't have to worry about the dog when I bring him here next month. Problem is, getting a contractor who isn't already busy. May just end up having to build the fence myself (and I really hate building fences, done it waaaaaay too many times.
            Mostly Stock '03
            www.vanstry.net

Comment

Glad the move worked out for you.

Maybe you can link up sometime in Arkansas.
              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

What tire is next? Kidding.

What oil?

Congrats, Banner. I love Texas.
                KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Welcome to Free America!

Check out http://www.twtex.com/ for local MC stuff.

There's a September meetup in Ponder that's a nice hour ride around the lake from you...
                  http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116112
                  “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”...Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Welcome to
                    Yea that's me doing cabbage patch angles on the side of the road!!!! Just wave cuz I'm OK :)

Comment

Just an update. Back in California for a last week and a half. Mostly to attend the Air Races in Reno this coming week, then after that, we come back to the Sacramento house, watch the movers back up the furniture and off to Texas we go.

I set my Texas residency up on August 1st (and I've actually spent a lot more time in Texas than in California since July). Once the house here is sold, I don't know if I'll ever come back, even to visit. I'll miss gold mining up on the claim I'm a partner in (but won't be after this year). I think the only thing California is going to miss about me is my tax dollars, which are pretty substantial at this point. But at least when I finally get that movie deal, Texas and it's lack of an income tax will be in my favor Pretty much all of the high-end writers are bailing out of California this year, in fact, I might be the last one to go.
                      Mostly Stock '03
                      www.vanstry.net

Comment

Okay, so I am now officially 100 percent moved into Texas. We pulled in Monday afternoon and I doubt I'll ever go back there. We left Saturday morning, took the scenic route (remember those roads Troy / Prophet took us on way back when? Try doing those in a 25' RV. It was actually kinda fun, if slow. We even got passed by a couple of harleys!!)
                        Got pulled over in Arizona for speeding, when the cop heard we were fleeing California for Texas, he let us off with a warning. That was just cool.

Now as to why I left California so suddenly (45 days from saying I was leaving to buying a house). It's quite simple: Either I moved, or I went to jail. I have a fairly decent gun collection (I hesitate to call it large, especially as I now live in Texas, but it's respectable even here), five of the rifles and one of the pistols that I own were banned on the 1st of July. Possession of one is up to 8 years in jail. Do the math, that's a loooong jail term. And the state knows I have them, so it was only a matter of time until I got busted. So I took my guns to the new house before I could become a 'felon'. Mind you, it's not just the 2nd Amendment that they were violating, there's also that little bit about compensation for seized property that California was neglecting. And with over 10K rounds of ammo (I have a lot of different caliber firearms) that would also get me in a lot of trouble, I'm sure).

Then after I bought the house here, California decided that even though there isn't a drought, they'd start rationing water (that's right, you're now limited in how much water you can use!) The day we left, California was in the process of doing away with Bail. You get arrested, guess what? You can't bail yourself out. Either the judge lets you go on your own recognizance, or you get to sit in jail for 6 to 9 months waiting for your trial. The fact that the constitution specifically mentions that you have a right to bail doesn't seem to matter to California. It just goes on and on and on and then there's the fact that Texas doesn't have an income tax.

Oh, and the people are definitely a lot friendly here. A LOT friendlier.
                        Mostly Stock '03
                        www.vanstry.net

Comment

welcome
                          Yea that's me doing cabbage patch angles on the side of the road!!!! Just wave cuz I'm OK :)

Comment

Hey Banner, don't forget to change that profile page of yours, we don't want the unknowing to associate
                            you with that "west coast" bunch any longer. I think you'll fit right in there in Texas. I've never lived there
                            but know a few people from there, way large improvement from Cali, is an understatement I believe.
                            "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Working...
                            X