Avons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avons

My Kerrville ride and the AR Rally are getting a little bit closer.

Avon Spirits arrived today, seen here posing with a new chain and sprockets

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
    ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Avon Spirits????

Never heard of them.

I know I liked the old Avon Storms when I had my ZED.

Arkansas is less than a month away!!!
    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Neither had I, Mike. I ran Avons for the first 50k miles on my '02. I've been running Bridgestone T-30 GTs on the 2003 for 28k miles and thought I'd try something different.

At $257 for the pair from DennisKirk they beat the hell out of PR4s. Avons used to be expensive

I'm also replacing my chain&sprockets this weekend. I have 28,000 miles on this chain&sprockets and have never ever gotten this kind of mileage from an aftermarket chain before. I've been very consistent about cleaning it with diesel every 1000 miles and lubing it with DuPont teflon spray lube every 3-400 miles.

Arkansas draws nigh

~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyTrain View Post
        I'm also replacing my chain&sprockets this weekend. I have 28,000 miles on this chain&sprockets and have never ever gotten this kind of mileage from an aftermarket chain before. I've been very consistent about cleaning it with diesel every 1000 miles and lubing it with DuPont teflon spray lube every 3-400 miles.

Arkansas draws nigh
        That's good mileage for a Zed. Which chain and sprockets did you use?

The DuPont stuff is magic but I'm down to the last can of the original formulation. I'm up to 15,000 miles on an Al rear sprocket on the R1 - the hard anodizing has worn off the leading edge of the teeth but still no significant wear. The DID VX chain is also doing OK - I've had to adjust it twice and it has only recently developed a couple of tight spots. Not bad for a cheap chain!
        Last edited by Moise; 04-01-2018, 11:23 PM.
        "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
        99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by Moise View Post
          That's good mileage for a Zed. Which chain and sprockets did you use?

The DuPont stuff is magic but I'm down to the last can of the original formulation. I'm up to 15,000 miles on an Al rear sprocket on the R1 - the hard anodizing has worn off the leading edge of the teeth but still no significant wear. The DID VX chain is also doing OK - I've had to adjust it twice and it has only recently developed a couple of tight spots. Not bad for a cheap chain!
          DID ZVM-X ... I think, Moise. Steel sprockets. Two teeth up on the rear.

Diesel and rags cost nothing so I clean the chain whenever it doesn't sparkle :)

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

so what did you think about the T-30s?
            "Somebody's gotta be unafraid to lead the freak parade" -- Big and Rich

Comment

Originally posted by pawpawkow View Post
              They rippp for old people. Peace

Comment

They've been great, PPK. Don't listen to ZZ-R. He doesn't know diddly about riding ;) He only rides from St Louis to Eureka Springs and back.

T-30s have carried me to Idaho & Montana, Big Bend, & Carlsbad Caverns in the last 28,000 miles.

They wear well and have never given me reason to doubt their traction.

Be sure to get the T-30 GT's though - the GT's are for a heavier-than-400-lb-bike :)

I was just price shopping tires last month and came across a good price on Avons, and remembered what good service their predecessors gave me back in the day.

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

but you're not saying you got 28,000 mi out of a set...?

Comment

but you're not saying you got 28,000 mi out of a set...?
                    Noooo. 2 fronts & at least 4-5 rears in that period.

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Thank God!

If you got 28,000 miles out of a set of tires you are doing something wrong!
                      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                        Thank God!

my thoughts Ed Zachary

Comment

Originally posted by BIG O View Post
                          Thank God!

Remember FastRay911? He said he'd get 20,000+ from a set of tires!

~Eumenes of Cardia

Comment

Like mike said he’s was doing something wrong

Comment

As long as you're keeping the rubber side down. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.
                              KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X