Fuel guage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel guage

From the posts I've read it sounds like the fuel gauge on the ZZR is not very accurate. I can put 100 miles on my bike and gauge still shows full. I was wondering if anyone has found a fix. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I generally fill up when the odometer hits 180 miles and call if good.

Yep, sounds about right.

It hovers at full forever then drops fairy quickly after the half tank mark.

No fix that I know of. Just go by mileage as you mentioned.

At least the ZED has a reserve on the petcock.

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

As Big O says, sounds normal. Commuted daily on mine. When I'd fill up, the level would come off "full" indication shortly after 80 miles and evaporate quickly after half tank indication. All totally normal.

As for the petcock, I always had mine turned to reserve and used the trip meter. Logical or not, just something I did when I started riding. Made more sense to my little brain running it and not having the bike cough or stutter while on the highway, and attempt rotating the petcock while riding. Sometimes it was easy to rotate (weather, gloves, rotated smooth, no traffic, etc.), sometimes it wasn't (rainy, cold, dark, winter gloves, lots of traffic, etc.) and the bike would completely shut down if not turned in just the nick of time. Your situation will work for you, and you figure out what works best for you though.

Comment

The gas tank is basically a funnel - wide at the top, narrow at the bottom. It'll sit on full forever and then drop faster and faster.

Using the trip meter is the smart play

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
        ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Thanks for replies. The fuel gauge on my ZRX was the same way so I just replaced it with a temperature gauge. I'll stick to the odometer and play it safe. It just bugs me seeing the gauge at full when I know it's not!

Comment

Getting to the petcock lever is a bitch if you run out and moving....almost caused me to lose control once....but I would rather have it that way vs. running out.

Comment

Originally posted by NATURALBORNKILLAR View Post
              Getting to the petcock lever is a bitch if you run out and moving....almost caused me to lose control once....but I would rather have it that way vs. running out.
              Practice practice practice
              Young men know the rules, OLD men know the exceptions.

Comment

Working...
              X