chain lube

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain lube

I have been using Dupont Teflon multi-use lubricant upc # 0 36121 19157 0. The local Lowe's no longer handles this item. I found some on e-bay that I guess I could buy. Just wondering what you guys are using for your chains. Thanks.......johnnyvee
    I AM 62 YEARS YOUNG AND HAVE BEEN RIDING KAWASAKI MOTORCYCLES FOR THE PAST 46 YEARS. I HAVE HAD FOUR 750 TRIPLES, TWO 350 TRIPLES, A 750 TURBO AND A '95 GPZ1100. I CURRENTLY HAVE A '74 400CC TRIPLE and a 2002 ZZR1200. HAVE CROSSED 49 STATES VIA MOTORCYCLE.

Used a few over the years such as Bel-Ray, Motul (don't recall much of it), Chain wax (don't recall brand, but know it slung all over everything), and a couple others. Over the last couple years, I've been using AMSOIL Chain lube. Apply to a warm chain or after a ride, let it sit for about 45min and it seems to stay. The dislike is it dries to a brownish color if applied to heavy. I just apply less-liberally and wipe it a few times, and let her sit. Seems to work fine for me. Longevity of chain with any lube is subjective to use, weather, maintenance, adjustment, cleaning, etc. No doubt one of the guys on here have something that works exceptionally well.

Comment

I've been using the same thing John. Had the same issue with my local Lowe's not carrying it. I ordered two of the large aerosol cans off of E Bay or Amazon. Best stuff I've found.
      I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

maxima_chain_wax_750x750.jpg
        sigpic

Stupid people can be dangerous in large groups

Comment

Maxima Chain Guard down here in the extreme heat!
          "If you didn't see me, I didn't do it! And even if you got pictures, I will swear they were PhotoShopped!"

I meant to behave but there were too many other options

Comment

Whether it slings or stays, the best thing for the chain is to lube it. I have bought product that promised not to sling and did. After a Tour the chain was always well within spec after thousand of miles. Hose it down!
            Sin's a good mans brother.

Comment

I’ve used lots of different products but my go to choice is also Maxima - Chain Wax. I generally clean my chain when I pull into the garage and give the clean chain a good dose of chain wax while the chain is still warm. Then the bike gets clean and polished and parked until the next ride. Applying the chain wax to a warm chain and letting it sit until later seems to prevent sling off and helps it stay on the chain where it belongs.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Bel-Ray Super Clean for many years...was in a bind last time I needed some and ended up with PJ1 Blue Label. Both work well for me. I remember my Dad using PJ1 on his 76 KZ900 back in the day!
                "Somebody's gotta be unafraid to lead the freak parade" -- Big and Rich

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyvee View Post
                  I have been using Dupont Teflon multi-use lubricant upc # 0 36121 19157 0. The local Lowe's no longer handles this item. I found some on e-bay that I guess I could buy. Just wondering what you guys are using for your chains. Thanks.......johnnyvee
                  The same thing. Been using it for years on Reidmct's recommendation. I buy 4-8 cans at a time off Amazon.

While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                  ~Eumenes of Cardia

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

Comment

Okay, Thanks guys. I think I tried the Maxima chain wax in the past. Good stuff.
                    Last edited by johnnyvee; 01-30-2018, 06:27 PM.
                    I AM 62 YEARS YOUNG AND HAVE BEEN RIDING KAWASAKI MOTORCYCLES FOR THE PAST 46 YEARS. I HAVE HAD FOUR 750 TRIPLES, TWO 350 TRIPLES, A 750 TURBO AND A '95 GPZ1100. I CURRENTLY HAVE A '74 400CC TRIPLE and a 2002 ZZR1200. HAVE CROSSED 49 STATES VIA MOTORCYCLE.

Comment

NAPA used to sell something that was designed for chain driven conveyor systems that was kick a$$.
                      Had graphite in it.
                      Young men know the rules, OLD men know the exceptions.

Comment

Maxima Chain Wax. Easy to find, not expensive, used it for years. Minimal mess and sling with me. Put on when chain is warm, let dry/cool
                        then ready for next ride later on.
                        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

I'm sitting on about 8 cans of Lucas chain lube. It flings, I apply too much of it, and I don't really care. I like a wet chain, and will ride my shit dirty.
                          KN, this ride's for You.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

Comment

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRC03050
                            Young men know the rules, OLD men know the exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by eyesonly View Post
                              That's what I use. Suits my needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X