Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for new (to me bike) but need some insight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Time for new (to me bike) but need some insight

    Made a deal with a close friend over the weekend for my wrecked ZZR. After locating some parts, fairings, and exhaust, it added up to just under $2000 for repair. Granted, the items I found were new, and I might have been able to tweek things to fit again. In the end, the big zed has a new home and a much faster future. As for me, I'm in a quandary over a possible new (to me) bike. Short list is 2010-2016 BMW K1300S, 2012-2017 ZX14R, or 2010-2017 Concours.

    Looking for insight as to maintenance requirements/needs; I tend to do my own maintenance as much as possible. Looking to know what inherent problems or intricacies might be lurking for a new owner. Those who've owned each, or two of, what were the things that became deal breakers or what intricacies have you found. There are pro's and con's to each model, but each checks some boxes. All can be had for near equal cost on the used market depending on miles of course. Concerned the BMW is no longer made, and what that could do to parts availability. The ZX and Connie are still being made, but for how much longer. The aftermarket shows great love for the ZX and Connie with simple google searches also. The ZX would need to have bags fitted and heated grips for my needs in daily commuting. Which brings the big question of daily commuting, reliability, and hold up to the daily grind. Actively looking into insurance for each bike as well, which will be a determining factor. Bottom line is, I can only get one bike. I've whittled off the KTM Super Duke 1290 GT for outright expense, Ducati of any model for maintenance horrors from friends who've owned and own, FJR out dated, ST1300 not made anymore, BMW RT again outright expense. The Ninja 1000 could fit the bill, yet styling isn't growing on me. In all, I also have to consider my better half and her place on a bike. Her comfort is important, or so I'm told....We don't travel much more than 1000 miles over a long weekend, and on the zed, it was easily doable. We both enjoy the style and handling of the zed which is also why the short list above.

    Thanks in advance, and appreciate any insight.

  • #2
    2018 H2 SX SE would top my list if I was looking to buy a new bike. It's the only bike that would get me off my zx14 for the street.

    FJR, ST1300, RT, N1K, wouldnt even consider any of those.

    1290GT, C14, ZX14 = yes all 3 nice bikes.


    h2-sx.jpg







    Last edited by piken; 01-15-2018, 09:16 AM.
    Our ability to distribute interesting information is out pacing our ability to create it.

    Comment


    • #3
      As much as I enjoy my N1K, I would be hard-pressed to recommend its passenger accomodations. The Versys 1000, however, could be a consideration as that was designed w/different intents and is much more passenger friendly. Just a thought.
      Lee

      Comment


      • #4
        Having owned a ZX 14 and currently owning a K 1300 S I would recommend either. The BMW has a few more creature comforts that come standard (heated grips, electronic suspension) and a more relaxed riding position. It is a bit down on power compared to a ZX 14 but is still no slouch. Also, in my opinion, the BMW is a little less maintenance required due to it being shaft driven. Some people don't like the suspension on the BMW. I have no issues with it. With the BMW you don't have to worry about front end dive when braking hard for corners. No suspension geometry issues to worry about.
        As you said, the K 1300 is no longer being made but I BELIEVE they have to carry replacement parts for 10 years. So, i wouldn't let that keep you from getting one.

        If you are looking for a Sport Tourer with the emphasis on "Tourer" I'd go with the K 1300 S.

        If you are looking for a Sport Tourer with the emphasis on "Sport" I'd go with the ZX 14.

        A ZX 14 can be made into a decent ST bike. Difficult to make the K 1300 S into a sport bike.

        Can't speak for the Connie. To me, it's not in the same class/group due to size.

        JMHO.

        Good luck with whatever you choose.
        I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

        Comment


        • #5
          Great input guys, very much appreciate it. Power being what it is, that isn't the sole reason for any of the bikes. A 35hp Ninja 250 or 300 will carve up a canyon as well as any big bore, and could be just as exhilarating. Granted, it won't get you there as fast, but it would get you there at the same time. With that, a little Ninja just doesn't have the ergos for two up riding with bags, and I do sometimes look like an ape on a trike when sitting on some bikes.

          Piken - yeah, that H2 SX would be a fine addition. I have this personal issue with owning first year models of anything. There is also the aspect of explaining to the wife where the other $10k + went. However, once the second model year arrives, the extra money explanation would be far easier to "explain".

          Big O - that is certainly some of the insight I was looking for. True statement, the Connie isn't in the same class. It is on the list because first it is a solid bike with way more emphasis on "tour" side of things. Not saying it doesn't have sportiness, it does, but the comfort aspect for the passenger is the appeal as does the many thousands of Connies running around with more than 80k+ miles of daily abuse...I mean use. So since you have owned both, with respect to major services, what is the true interval on the K1300 and do you do your own maintenance? Is it true the dealer is the only place to get the brakes bled on the K1300S due to the ABS system? That isn't a deal breaker, it is something to weigh out.

          Comment


          • #6
            I can't comment on the other bikes you are considering but I can comment on the 14 for the type of riding you have mentioned. I started truly sport touring on the ZZR1200. I put almost 60,000 miles on that bike then sold it and bought a new 2007 ZX14. I rode that for 50,000 miles and sold it when I bought a very lightly used 2006 ZX14 with just 3000 miles on the clock. I'm still using the 2006 as my daily ride. It currently has 30,000 trouble free miles on it. I set each of these bikes up with removable Givi hard bags, bar risers, Corbin saddles, tank bags, radar detectors and throttlemeister throttle locks for touring duty. Each bike got lots of other mods but those were the mods that truly transformed the bikes into sport-touring mode. I have done lots of two up riding and solo touring over the years. I am not a big guy. I come in at 5'10" and weigh about 175 lbs, the wife is about 5'1" and weighs about 105 lbs. When we tour together the bike still handles the size and loads of both of us with gear and full luggage well.

            I think that if you are carrying more weight, at some point you might want to consider a bigger bike like the C14 or something that is really more touring than sport based. I can say without doubt, that if I were shopping for a new bike for sport-touring duty, that I would look for a lightly used ZX14-r and outfit it exactly the same as my past bikes. The 14 just works for me and given the performance and reliability I've had with big bore Kwaks I would be hard pressed to make a change.

            IMGP6027.jpg

            IMG_3121.JPG

            Last edited by NotDeadYet; 01-16-2018, 10:16 AM.


            "I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bretb View Post

              Big O - that is certainly some of the insight I was looking for. True statement, the Connie isn't in the same class. It is on the list because first it is a solid bike with way more emphasis on "tour" side of things. Not saying it doesn't have sportiness, it does, but the comfort aspect for the passenger is the appeal as does the many thousands of Connies running around with more than 80k+ miles of daily abuse...I mean use. So since you have owned both, with respect to major services, what is the true interval on the K1300 and do you do your own maintenance? Is it true the dealer is the only place to get the brakes bled on the K1300S due to the ABS system? That isn't a deal breaker, it is something to weigh out.
              Can't speak for major service in regard to ANY engine work. But basic maintenance is no different than on my ZX 14. As for the brake bleeding issue, I have heard about that but have yet found it necessary to bleed the brakes. I would think there would be a workaround or possibly buy a pump to do it but can't confirm. I will say that the BMW seems to have quite a bit of electronics that when/if they go out you are at the mercy of BMW.

              Electronic gadgets are great when they are working but a major PITA when they are not.

              I'd say give the ZX 14 ad the K 1300 a test ride and see what you think. That is if you can find a K 1300 s to test ride.

              I was more than happy with my ZX but decided to go outside of the box when it came time for a new sport tourer.

              I don't think either the ZX or the K is very good for passenger comfort if that is an area of concern.

              I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

              Comment


              • #8
                I can speak for the 14R and Connie, and say they're bullet proof. The Connie can hang, too. For the most part...
                KN, this ride's for You.

                http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps2ecwj35m.jpg

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've ridden a K1200S a little, a C-14 a lot and a ZX14R a little. If it were me I'd go 14R. Something about owning a ZZR site and riding a BMW just doesn't sit right ;) The Connie just didn't grab me, though it did everything it's supposed to do very well. I've had the plastics off and back onto a 14R so I think I've already starting cutting my teeth there.


                  While I am master of my sword, I shall never think any man greater than myself.
                  ~Eumenes of Cardia

                  I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. ~Steve McQueen

                  I work over by worlds of fun. ~JimmyMac

                  My photo album - http://zzrbikes.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=146333

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bret, I too have owned both a Connie and the Zx14R. I find the ZX14R to be nearly as comfortable as the Connie, with my bar risers, dropped pegs and Sargent seat. My wife has not ridden on the bike with the Sargent seat, but folks who looked at it at the Rally last summer (including females) were certain that it LOOKED more comfortable for passengers! I got bored with my Connie- I NEVER get bored with my ZX14R, now beginning year four with her. If you want to take my bike for a spin (when we get some decent weather) I would be happy to let you check her out some weekend, since I am just down here in Olympia. Good luck with whatever your choose!

                    Greg
                    "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jimmymac View Post
                      I can speak for the 14R and Connie, and say they're bullet proof. The Connie can hang, too. For the most part...
                      Hi James. Tell j9 hello. Sorry for the hi jack. One thang ZX14RRRRRRRRR. Peace

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No worries ZZ-r, highjack as necessary.

                        NotDeadYet - your set up of Givi's is exactly what I'd need for my daily commute. One day I could be in the south end, and another up north, depends on the needs. I have been reading on another forum, people who have the 14R have to make/install a strap (spacer) to drop the exhaust about an inch or so for the bags to fit otherwise the bags get a little cooking. At least, that is what I'm reading, there may be no necessary changes for some aftermarket exhausts. Funny, our wives are near the same size. She says 5' 2" and I replay, "Standing on a New York city phone book doesn't count." Both of us, gear, and luggage for 4 days, didn't even make the zed breath hard, and only one click on the rear spring for load.

                        Big O - there are 2 K1300's at the BMW dealership. Both have less than 15k miles, one an 09 and the other an 11. There are also 4 more within 150 miles. Might get a chance to try one this weekend if I'm not working. As for used 14R's, well, that I'm still looking into. Most dealerships are OK with used bikes, in the parking lot test ride, but not for a quick blast up the freeway and in some traffic back.

                        Gregness - Your bike is the dream. Meaning, I've loved that anniversary edition since I first saw it. Would love to take you up on the offer if I get that far south, and we have better than rain (although this past Saturday was spectacular). If you have fitted hard saddlebags, that would be interesting to see if you had to do the spacer with your aftermarket exhaust.

                        Jimmymac - thought you had both the Connie and 14R. "Hang" is relative to the rider I'm sure. I don't think I ever pushed the zed near her limits or close to her limits...less the downed tree of course...found that limit.

                        As said above, I might have a chance to give a couple a spin this weekend provided the cards fall into place. Should be getting some insurance quotes in today, if the agents stop laughing long enough, or cursing me for requesting 3 quotes...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bretb View Post
                          No worries ZZ-r, highjack as necessary.

                          NotDeadYet - your set up of Givi's is exactly what I'd need for my daily commute. One day I could be in the south end, and another up north, depends on the needs. I have been reading on another forum, people who have the 14R have to make/install a strap (spacer) to drop the exhaust about an inch or so for the bags to fit otherwise the bags get a little cooking. At least, that is what I'm reading, there may be no necessary changes for some aftermarket exhausts. Funny, our wives are near the same size. She says 5' 2" and I replay, "Standing on a New York city phone book doesn't count." Both of us, gear, and luggage for 4 days, didn't even make the zed breath hard, and only one click on the rear spring for load.

                          Big O - there are 2 K1300's at the BMW dealership. Both have less than 15k miles, one an 09 and the other an 11. There are also 4 more within 150 miles. Might get a chance to try one this weekend if I'm not working. As for used 14R's, well, that I'm still looking into. Most dealerships are OK with used bikes, in the parking lot test ride, but not for a quick blast up the freeway and in some traffic back.

                          Gregness - Your bike is the dream. Meaning, I've loved that anniversary edition since I first saw it. Would love to take you up on the offer if I get that far south, and we have better than rain (although this past Saturday was spectacular). If you have fitted hard saddlebags, that would be interesting to see if you had to do the spacer with your aftermarket exhaust.

                          Jimmymac - thought you had both the Connie and 14R. "Hang" is relative to the rider I'm sure. I don't think I ever pushed the zed near her limits or close to her limits...less the downed tree of course...found that limit.

                          As said above, I might have a chance to give a couple a spin this weekend provided the cards fall into place. Should be getting some insurance quotes in today, if the agents stop laughing long enough, or cursing me for requesting 3 quotes...
                          DSC01236.JPG


                          I had the GIVI V 35's with the SW-Motech quick release racks on my ZX 14. I did not use a top case as the side bags had enough room for what I carried. Had a Zero Gravity double bubble windscreen, Throttlemeisters and had reworked the stock saddle. I was comfortable with the riding position so I left the pegs and clip-ons stock.

                          I could easily do 400 mile days. maybe as much as 500 if I had to.

                          As for the BMW, BMW only offers the "clamshell" OEM bags for it. Not as much capacity as the GIVI's and not nearly as "trick" either. If the BMW doesn't come with them don't be worried. I just bought a set of bags (side and tail) and put them on it. I bought the BMW and didn't change a thing in regard to making it a sport tourer. OEM windscreen, pegs, clip ons.

                          If you were to buy a BMW I would try and get the newest one you can. Also, would not be worried about the EAS suspension. While it is pretty slick to be able to adjust your suspension at the touch of a button it isn't necessary. Depends on what they have to offer. I'm about to ditch my EAS and have a set of Wilbers installed on mine. However, I typically redo the suspension on my bikes regardless of what they come with from the factory.

                          Here is a pic of the BMW with bags:
                          I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re insurance- I am paying $580 a year for full coverage. But I am 60 and have a clean record (at the moment). State Farm gave me an even better quote a couple months ago.
                            "The Price of Speed is Eternal Vigilance" 2015 ZX14R 30th, Four Kids

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Insurance update - Allstate, no accidents, and no loss claims, 46, full coverage, $1000 ded =
                              2012-2017 ZX14R - $2145/yr ($500 ded = $2490; Liability with uninsured motorist - $634/yr)
                              2010-2016 BMW K1300S - $1210/yr
                              2010-2017 Connie - $936/yr

                              Think I need to do some insurance shopping....again.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X