Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin Road 5 Announced

Dropped the "Pilot". Michelin Road 5 Announced – Available January 1, 2018

Riders on Road 5s will notice the biggest improvements in wet performance, particularly when the tires are worn where, according to Michelin, they will outperform all other entries in the sport-touring tire segment. The company claims that Road 5 tires with 3,000 miles on them offer the same wet-road stopping power as brand new Pilot Road 4 tires. This is thanks to the XST Evo (X Sipe Technology), the third generation of XST found on Michelin motorcycle tires.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” ? Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Freakin' tires just keep evolving. I just had a set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's put on the N1K. Claims were substantial about their superiority over the Mich PR3 & 4. I love Mich tires but I got them for a steal too so I gave them a shot. Very impressed w/them so far.
    Lee

Comment

I will have to do some research on the new Road 5’s. I will be interested in what people have to say about price, performance / handling and mileage. I loved the PR2’s, didn’t like the way the front wandered when I ran the PR3’s and I’ve been very happy running the PR4’s. Sometimes newer isn’t always better. I think I’m currently at half life left on my current PR4’s. I will need new tires again early to mid riding season next summer. I think I will order a new set online early in the new year and have whatever I choose in the garage waiting.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Well shit, they are always coming out with a new one just about the time I am about to buy. I will try to get the
        rest of the life out of these PR2's I have on it now over the winter. I'm in no hurry, gotta put tires on the ole GMC
        then the skoot next before spring. Seems like putting tires on something all of the time.Gonna be a Michelin
        tire on the skoot and good ole BF Goodrich TA's on the GMC. I get around 65 to 70K out of those on the truck.
        "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Comment

Originally posted by spectreman View Post
          Freakin' tires just keep evolving. I just had a set of Dunlop Roadsmart III's put on the N1K. Claims were substantial about their superiority over the Mich PR3 & 4. I love Mich tires but I got them for a steal too so I gave them a shot. Very impressed w/them so far.
          Lee
          I also love the Michs,but got a killer deal also on the RS3 set.Waiting till I get all I can out of my current Michelins before making the switch.I'm such a granny rider they'll probably handle all I can throw at them!
          sigpic

Comment

It don’t matter Hoff. I rip with some fast dudes They use sticky stuff. I use sport touring stuff I hang pretty good. Peace

Comment

After a few year hiatus, I have the scooter street legal and road worthy again and am looking for my next set of tires. At this stage of my riding life, I believe that non-race temp traction is more important than mileage. Are Michelin's Road 5 what I am looking for? Experienced suggestions welcomed!
              Last edited by Leo; 01-08-2018, 10:13 PM. Reason: spelun
              "Here's to our men in uniform. ALL uniforms." Maximus
              "If you can't get it done on a ZZR1200, you can't get it done on a 14 either." CrazyTrain
              "If the space shuttle didn't keep exploding it would be a pretty good space ship." helodoc
              "Re: Turbo-Connie: It had to be done...
              Like putting a solid-fuel rocket booster on a wheelchair." Danno

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                After a few year hiatus, I have the scooter street legal and road worthy again and am looking for my next set of tires. At this stage of my riding life, I believe that non-race temp traction is more important than mileage. Are Michelin's Road 5 what I am looking for? Experienced suggestions welcomed!
                Hey Leo!

I'm kinda confused as to what you are looking for?

NON race temp traction VS mileage?

super sticky tire (super sport tire) = great traction but low mileage

not as sticky tire (sport touring tire)= good traction and good mileage

I was running the Pirelli Angel GT/ST on my ZX 14 and am currently running it on my K 1300 s with no issues.

Sounds like that is MAYBE what you're looking for?

I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

Mr Mike, thanks for the input!

I think I'm looking for something right about...

Originally posted by BIG O
                  super sticky tire (super sport tire) = great traction but low mileage
                  ...here.

Originally posted by BIG O
                  not as sticky tire (sport touring tire)= good traction and good mileage
                  Last edited by Leo; 01-09-2018, 09:39 PM.
                  "Here's to our men in uniform. ALL uniforms." Maximus
                  "If you can't get it done on a ZZR1200, you can't get it done on a 14 either." CrazyTrain
                  "If the space shuttle didn't keep exploding it would be a pretty good space ship." helodoc
                  "Re: Turbo-Connie: It had to be done...
                  Like putting a solid-fuel rocket booster on a wheelchair." Danno

Comment

I'd give the Pirelli Angel a look then Leo.
                    I have neither the time,or the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way.

Comment

The Conti Road Attack 3 is getting great reviews in Europe. Looks like a good time for tyre shopping.
                      "You don't get slower with age, you just get more cautious." Michael Rutter

06 Ocean Blue ZZR1200, the coolest colour.
                      99 Yamaha R1

Comment

Originally posted by ZZ-r View Post
                        It don’t matter Hoff. I rip with some fast dudes They use sticky stuff. I use sport touring stuff I hang pretty good. Peace
                        Yeah, we let Troy ride with us.

You know, kinda like your kid brother that you just can't say "no" to

Comment

Thanks O. It’s good to have friends. Peace

Comment

I was checking out the Road 5 reviews. I noticed the Road 5 isn't meant to replace the PR4-gt for those of us who prefer the stiffer carcass of the gt for heavier bikes or heavier loads. From the reading I have done the Road 5 will come as a gt version later this year or early in 2019. For now Michelin recommends continued use of the PR4-gt for heavier bikes and heavier loads.

"I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!"

Comment

Does anyone ride with a PR2 on the rear, and a PR4 on the front?

The ZZR1200 needs a new front tyre soon, I usually run PR2s, but am looking at a combo.

I suffer from kleptomania. When it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X